What Would You Go For?

camoandconcrete

I am interested in either the M800 Tortoise, M800 demonstrator or the M1005 demonstrator. I intend to use it for drawing, so I plan on getting the nib ground to a needlepoint. I'm leaning a bit more to the demonstrator models as I would be able to have full view of the ink supply, but I have wanted a Tortoise since it first came out. I'm having a hard time deciding.

Originally, I bought a 60s 149 that I was going to have the nib ground down to a needlepoint, but the nib was too nice so I kept it the way it is. The size of the 149 and its nib were pretty right for drawing so I'm thinking the M1005 might be the way to go. I thought about getting another 149, but would like to try either of Pelikan's flagship models as I love their vintage pens.

Anyway, if anyone has either of the three above and have tried them for drawing, I'd appreciate it if you could lend your opinions on them.

Edited by MiamiArchStudent

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• camoandconcrete

• RMN

• Joe in Seattle

• torstar

I have an 800 and a 1005. The 1005 is the bigger pen But the 800 is not small either.

If you are going to have the nib ground and want to use it for drawing, I suppose you want a fairly rigid nib for direct hand-paper contact.

In that case I would NOT recommend the 1005 as that has a rather soft flexy nib.

The 800 is more rigid.

Otherwise both great pens.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Thank you RMN for the tips. I am looking for a more rigid nib, semi flex wouldn't be bad; full flex is not desired, but I don't think I need to worry about that at all.

Out of curiosity are there ways of making the M1000 nib more rigid? Could a nibmeister create a second breather hole like on the old Pelikan manifold nibs?

The M800 tortoise also gives you view of the ink supply. Beautiful pen. Highly recommend.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I just received the tortoise today. It is beautifully balanced in the hand. The section is a bit thinner than my wife's 149. It is just about the most stunning pen I've eve,r seen. I'm not an artist, but I would prefer the Pelikan - like driving a BMW instead of a Mercedes sedan.

"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

The single 1000 I tried in my B&M was semi-flex, but it is 18 K gold meaning, it can bend and stay bent.

14 C nib of a '83-97 M 400 could be done well.

To ruin a '87-89 springy nib would be a sin..I think the same of a 90's 800.

Of the six 200 nibs that have passed through my hands in trans-mailing 2 were as good as my joy to write with 120 Pelikan, 4 were as good as my '90's M400 and two Celebry pens; gold and steel nib.

If you are going to be drawing why use a big heavy, awkward clunker of a 800 or a 1000 when you can use a nimble pen like a 600 with a 200 nib, or a 200....if you want a bit heavier a 215 with a 200 nib.

Making a 200 nib a needle point would not be a sin against nature like a '90's and before 400, 140 nibbed pens.

The 600 is a semi-nail so that might be what you need. No sin to grind a modern nib to a needle point....they are still making them.

You could also see about a Waverly tipped nib from Richard Binder.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I am interested in either the M800 Tortoise, M800 demonstrator or the M1005 demonstrator. I intend to use it for drawing, so I plan on getting the nib ground to a needlepoint. I'm leaning a bit more to the demonstrator models as I would be able to have full view of the ink supply, but I have wanted a Tortoise since it first came out. I'm having a hard time deciding.

Originally, I bought a 60s 149 that I was going to have the nib ground down to a needlepoint, but the nib was too nice so I kept it the way it is. The size of the 149 and its nib were pretty right for drawing so I'm thinking the M1005 might be the way to go. I thought about getting another 149, but would like to try either of Pelikan's flagship models as I love their vintage pens.

Anyway, if anyone has either of the three above and have tried them for drawing, I'd appreciate it if you could lend your opinions on them.

The only thing I can contribute to this is the beauty of the pen. Having handled both the 1005 and the 800 tortoise, I can attest to the fact that the tortoise is amongst the most beautiful of all the pens I own. The premium feel of it for just around <400$ is just amazing. The shine of the tortoiseshell is magnificent beyond words. Don't believe me? Go compare it at the store, the answer will be obvious. At least it was to me anyway. Good luck deciding.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

The single 1000 I tried in my B&M was semi-flex, but it is 18 K gold meaning, it can bend and stay bent.

14 C nib of a '83-97 M 400 could be done well.

To ruin a '87-89 springy nib would be a sin..I think the same of a 90's 800.

Of the six 200 nibs that have passed through my hands in trans-mailing 2 were as good as my joy to write with 120 Pelikan, 4 were as good as my '90's M400 and two Celebry pens; gold and steel nib.

If you are going to be drawing why use a big heavy, awkward clunker of a 800 or a 1000 when you can use a nimble pen like a 600 with a 200 nib, or a 200....if you want a bit heavier a 215 with a 200 nib.

Making a 200 nib a needle point would not be a sin against nature like a '90's and before 400, 140 nibbed pens.

The 600 is a semi-nail so that might be what you need. No sin to grind a modern nib to a needle point....they are still making them.

You could also see about a Waverly tipped nib from Richard Binder.

Thank you for the advice. I'm interested in using an 800 or 1000 for drawing because I like larger sized pens with big nibs. I find them more comfortable to draw with than smaller sized pens.

Edited by MiamiArchStudent

Out of curiosity are there ways of making the M1000 nib more rigid? Could a nibmeister create a second breather hole like on the old Pelikan manifold nibs?

Just speculating, but I don't think simply adding a second breather hole would produce a modern manifold nib; that's not the source of rigidity. If I'm not mistaken, the tine slit would also have to be fused between the original and the new hole.

Just speculating, but I don't think simply adding a second breather hole would produce a modern manifold nib; that's not the source of rigidity. If I'm not mistaken, the tine slit would also have to be fused between the original and the new hole.

You're probably right. I didn't notice until careful inspection that the tines are fused together between the two holes.

I'd definitely second the advice *not* to get the M1000/1005 if you want a very fine line - in my experience they are soft, wet, and run wide in general (which is wonderful, unless you need a fine line). I'd go with one of the M800s and get it ground (I've been very happy with the Waverly XXXF grind from Richard Binder). Both the tortoise and the demo are lovely - go with the one you like! (For some vague reason, in my mind it seems that the demo fits more with drawing, but I'm not an artist...)

Kushbaby

Kushbaby

I like eating peanuts with chopsticks...

I've decided to eliminate the M1005 from my list. Now I'm tossed between the Tortoise or the 800 Demo. I love the tortoises (got 10 of them), so maybe I should go for that one. A slight sacrifice in practicality (for my needs), but a much more interesting looking pen than the demonstrator model.

The old dilemma: looks versus function.

Personally, I would go for function.

Looks distract from your task. Lack of function also distracts from your task.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Personally? If the two different 800's were my choices? Probably the Tortoise. But if you are more concerned about when you will need to fill information, then go with the demonstrator.

I think the 800 would be to big for me, personally. I might even go as small as the M400, but certainly not bigger than the M600. I already have a M205, which is only 2 mm shorter than the M400 or pre 97 M600. Post 97 M600 is another 7 mm. (134)

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

All are great pens, the nib on the 1005 is a bit more flexible, whereas the M800 are stiffer. It all depends on your writing style. I think the M800 Demo is a little harder to get/pricer.

M800 is my everyday pen and Tortoise is a great colour pattern.

The Demo's are great, but the Tortoise has the edge in my opinion.

I've decided to go for function: the M800 Demo. Although, the M1005 Demo for sale on the classifieds is tempting. I will post pictures of the pen when I get it and have the nib ground. Probably not until the Spring.

Thank you everyone for advice, I appreciate it. I would still be stuck on which pen if it wasn't for this thread.