The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Be My Matchmaker

wet nib #6 ahab

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Chazzy91

Chazzy91

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:39

So, here's the deal--I have been using fountain pens for about 4 months now and love everything about the ones I have ....except the EF's I bought for school. Breakdown:

• Lamy Safari EF (enjoy)
  • TWSBI Mini EF/1.1 (too stiff-don't enjoy/too broad for everyday writing)
  • Noodler's Ahab w/Flex nib & w/Noodler's $2 Fine non-flex nib (Love/ too dry and stiff)

I thought I'd love the EF's as a student, but have come to find all but the Lamy EF too uncomfortably thin for my writing style; they give me the sensation of "writing with a nail". However, I LOVE the wet, springy feel and ink saturation of writing with the Noodler's flex and simply not flexing it (see photo.)

QUESTION FOR YOU: Is there another #6 nib out there that would meet these needs in my Ahab? A little springy with a nice wet line, not too broad, and with less nib creep than my Noodler's flex? Give me a nib match for my Ahab this Valentines' day :) If I've missed a thread about this, please give me a link. 

Understand, I am not bashing any of the other nibs. They performed as they were intended. It wasn't them...it was me. We were never meant to be.

IMG_0305.JPG

Edited by Chazzy91, 11 February 2014 - 23:41.

"All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on." -- Havelock Ellis

Sponsored Content

#2 androids.conundrum

androids.conundrum

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:59

Honestly (and I may be in the minority here) almost all of my pens have some nib creep. I have only two that don't have constant nib creep a TWSBI 1.1 that writes dry and a vintage pen that is a wet writer. I don't know what factors cause nib creep would love to hear from someone more knowledgeable about what variables lead to nib creep (if it is more than "just the pen") .

#3 bluejay

bluejay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:18

Yes you can look for some vintage german nibs or vintage italian ones in that size that will do the job. Maybe even looking for a #5 size Omas paragon (old style)....drool

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wet nib, #6, ahab

Sponsored Content

|