Are All Esterbrooks Made In Camden?

Supermassive

I'm turning to the experts here! I feel like I've done my due diligence in searching here on the forum, and on the greater Googles, and can't really find the exact answers to the questions I have, so I figure this is the best place to find out.

I've never really been interested in vintage pens at all. Then I recently learned that Esterbrook was based in Camden, NJ and then later Cherry Hill, NJ. I grew up in Cherry Hill, and Camden is not 10 minutes from where I live. This is where my interest peaked. These vintage pens that many people are great fans of, were made practically in my back yard! So a bit of "Jersey Pride" made me want to jump in and own one of my own. So the more I looked into it, I find that these pens can be had for very reasonable prices! No now I really have to have one.

My question is:

Are all Esterbrooks made in Camden/Cherry Hill? A big part of why I want one is because of where it was made. How can I be sure a pen that I'm considering buying is from Camden/Cherry Hill?

I got 99 plumoj but a BIC ain't one. HIT ME!!!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Supermassive

• OcalaFlGuy

• Shaporama

• Federalist Pens

My question is:

Are all Esterbrooks made in Camden/Cherry Hill? A big part of why I want one is because of where it was made. How can I be sure a pen that I'm considering buying is from Camden/Cherry Hill?

In a word no.

If you follow my weblink you will find Esterbrooks made in the UK. I believe they were also made in Canada & Mexico (but only the UK ones are totally different to US output)

I was attracted to this post initially because Camden is an arty - modern market area in London... I wondered if I had been missing a hunting ground :lol:

FWIW as far as I know NJ was the Only U.S. plant so, yes, a U.S. Estie would be from Jersey.

I've also heard of I think Canada, UK and Mexico all marked with their country of origin.

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Thanks for the info! Now to find one that's not too expensive and actually writes!

The beauty of Esterbrooks is that they are relatively common because they are so durable. Brian Anderson at Anderson Pens is very knowledgeable and usually has Esties in stock:

http://www.andersonpens.net/esterbrook-pens-s/1829.htm

Also, Rick Krantz frequently lists Esties for sale here on FPN.

Finally, please consider joining the next meeting of the Garden State Pen Club. We are a new group with about a dozen members. Our first meeting in Princeton in December was lots a fun. If you are interested send me a PM with your contact info and i will add you to the list.

I'm not sure if you would be interested in other NJ pens, but there are also a few other makers besides Esterbrook that made pens in New Jersey.

Wearever - North Bergen

Venus - Hoboken and Newark

Camel - Orange

Secretary Pen Co. (successor to Camel) - Newark

And there was also the C. Howard Hunt Pen Co. out of Camden, which was a famous maker of dip pen nibs.

NJ actually has a somewhat rich heritage of pen making.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Also, Rick Krantz frequently lists Esties for sale here on FPN.

Rick does often have exceptional deals on Esties, however, he Now sells on another forum than FPN.

(I don't think he usually does a "full restore" on his Esties, but I think he Does Usually at least resac them.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Rick does often have exceptional deals on Esties, however, he Now sells on another forum than FPN.

(I don't think he usually does a "full restore" on his Esties, but I think he Does Usually at least resac them.)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Really? Where is he now (please send PM if you wish)? I've always enjoyed my interactions with Rick.

Really? Where is he now (please send PM if you wish)? I've always enjoyed my interactions with Rick.

Ditto please!

Hello Supermassive, and welcome to the forum!

The Esterbrook factory stood at 10 Cooper Street in Camden (you now know that as the Riversharks Stadium- the parking lot in reality!) It was across from The Victor Building (RCA).

In the mid 60's they moved to The Cherry Hill Corporate Center- North Springdale Road (Discovery Zone/JDR shoes/etc..). When you come down Springdale from Church Road- you will notice the first light is called Esterbrook Lane! I cannot tell you which building they occupied, but the factory was along that street in the park!

You can learn a lot from the forums, and from www.esterbrook.net which is also run by Brian Anderson. This is a great reference site for all things Estie! Keep and eye on the forums, and the bay for Estie pens (yours truly included!)!

;)

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

Hello Supermassive, and welcome to the forum!

The Esterbrook factory stood at 10 Cooper Street in Camden (you now know that as the Riversharks Stadium- the parking lot in reality!) It was across from The Victor Building (RCA).

In the mid 60's they moved to The Cherry Hill Corporate Center- North Springdale Road (Discovery Zone/JDR shoes/etc..). When you come down Springdale from Church Road- you will notice the first light is called Esterbrook Lane! I cannot tell you which building they occupied, but the factory was along that street in the park!

You can learn a lot from the forums, and from www.esterbrook.net which is also run by Brian Anderson. This is a great reference site for all things Estie! Keep and eye on the forums, and the bay for Estie pens (yours truly included!)!

;)

This is awesome!

After finding out about the Cherry Hill connection, I realized i remember that street! I grew up right on the other side if RT 70 right off of Springdale. Amazing. I take my kids to the Discovery Zone all the time! and we're members at the aquarium so we go by the riversharks stadium all the time. I'm floored.

I bought my J on the Classifieds here at FPN. Restored about $40 including shipping.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

This is awesome!

After finding out about the Cherry Hill connection, I realized i remember that street! I grew up right on the other side if RT 70 right off of Springdale. Amazing. I take my kids to the Discovery Zone all the time! and we're members at the aquarium so we go by the riversharks stadium all the time. I'm floored.

:)

I'm over by Voorhees myself, and I work in Cherry Hill at a Tech Institute!

Also keep an eye out for meetings and such from the Philly Pen Collector's Group.

They do meet in S Jersey from time to time! www.philadelphiapens.com

Regards,

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I bought my J on the Classifieds here at FPN. Restored about $40 including shipping.

Pics or it never happened! ;)

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone - I know this topic is close to two years old. But I'd like to call on friends from the Philly area of NJ.

I'm really focused on pens from the NY/NJ area. I collect Newark Pen Co (Secretary) and Camel pens (actually they ran at the same time), and from the list Ingersoll is missing. There were other smaller brands.

One of the things that makes NJ interesting as a pen producer is that celluloid pen barrels were typically made in NJ for NYC manufacturers. Cellulose Nitrate (Celluloid) is highly flammable, and NYC had strict fire codes that required companies like Eclipse and Mabie Todd to set up operations in the Arlington section of Kearny NJ to make their barrels. It helped that DuPont's Arlington Works was also in Arlington. The largest celluloid producer, The Celluloid Company was in Newark. Nixon was another NJ company that was due to provide Sheaffer with celluloid, but unfortunately the neighboring building that stored artillery shells had a bit of an accident two months before Sheaffer started production.

Also, the Bakelite Corporation was in NJ, and the Boonton Plastics cast Bakelite barrels for Ingersoll, and probably for Hudson and Presto. New Jersey was truly the center of the plastics world between the wars.

Now the request for the Philly/Jersey crowd. As pen manufacturing moved into the late 30's, most of the smaller pen companies outsourced production of everything from clips to nibs to barrels and caps. One such company was called the Sanit Corporation, and they turned barrels until there was a major fire in 1943. They were based in Burlington NJ. They are listed in the 1940 manufacturing directory as producing fountain pens, but I doubt anything came out under their name. I'd love to learn more about them.

I've found as much as I can on the company over the internet, and I need to get into a historical society or a local library to find more. If anyone who lives in the area has the time to take a look, I'd be very grateful.