The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Vintage 149 Or A 75Th 149 With Mop

149 75th rose gold diplomat vintage modern

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dmvara

dmvara

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:52

So I am new to this forum and I am debating on whether to purchase a vintage 149 or a 149 75th 1924.  I understand the vintage ones were better made compared to the modern ones so I guess does this hold true for the 75th one as well?  Is it just a decked out 149 in a modern and not as durable body like the vintage ones produced way back when.  Just looking for honest opinions. What would you buy? Thanks so much for shedding light on my question.  

:yikes:

Sponsored Content

#2 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,548 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 14:32

I would chose a vintage MB 149. The 75th Anniv. version is overpriced and like any other normal 149 that you can buy at a MB Boutique, only blinged up.

#3 JLS1

JLS1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:03

So I am new to this forum and I am debating on whether to purchase a vintage 149 or a 149 75th 1924.  I understand the vintage ones were better made compared to the modern ones so I guess does this hold true for the 75th one as well?  Is it just a decked out 149 in a modern and not as durable body like the vintage ones produced way back when.  Just looking for honest opinions. What would you buy? Thanks so much for shedding light on my question.  

:yikes:

Do you have (or have you tried) a modern 149? Generally speaking (and IMHO of course), I don't think a modern 149 is any less durable than a vintage 149, but the writing experience is a lot different due mainly to the nib. Whether you will find this better or not depends on your expectations, which in turn depend on your 149 experiences so far...maybe you can elaborate here?

I would chose a vintage MB 149. The 75th Anniv. version is overpriced and like any other normal 149 that you can buy at a MB Boutique, only blinged up.

Yes and no: you're right that the 75th anniversary 149 is no different in size or construction (and likely writing experience) than a regular 149 but the rose gold and MOP star does make it stand out. FWIW, I like the MOP star but maybe that's just me...

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:53

If I could choose from both side by side I would choose the 75th anniversary pen

#5 Sblakers

Sblakers

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:04

How vintage are we talking? 1950's 149? If that is the case, 1950's 149 hands down!  1950's 149---Telescopic filling mechanism, wonderful nibs, very cool silver rings on cap and made of celluloid as apposed to "precious" resin.  

#6 yulie1

yulie1

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 18:41

I would choose the vintage celluloid 149 for the reasons noted by Sblakers. I have a modern and vintage 149, but the vintage one gets more use!

Mark

#7 Eugen-of-Savoy

Eugen-of-Savoy

Numero Uno is Back !

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 18:43

I would prefer a fifties 149 over the 75th, which is a normal nineties 149 with some extra bling. The only advantage the 75th has over the vintage: servicing can be done an Montblanc and parts are less scarce.

#8 bmwboris

bmwboris

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 21:49

If you can- I would buy both for different reasons.

As stated above, a vintage 149 definitely has a different feel on paper compared to moden ones due mainly to its nib, however I personally prefer the look of the 75th anniversary model. There is just something about the MOP star and rose gold accessories that make it pop!!!!!

#9 dmvara

dmvara

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2014 - 11:39

Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like when it comes to both of them it's a matter of form versus function. The 75th has a lot of bling and looks stout, but if I am looking for strictly function then the vintage seems the way to go. Hmmm. Maybe both would be worth buying, but that would leave a big hole in my pocket!! Lol

I would prefer a fifties 149 over the 75th, which is a normal nineties 149 with some extra bling. The only advantage the 75th has over the vintage: servicing can be done an Montblanc and parts are less scarce.

I agree on this point as well that a vintage pen is tougher to get serviced because of the scarcity of parts. Perfect example happened recently to me when I took my Leonardo sketch pen to the boutique for servicing because I had dropped it on the point and broken the internal mechanism. I totally regret doing so because it was a the more rare version with the flat side that kept it from rolling. Well when I got it back they had discarded the outer body with the flat side because the part was no longer available. I was very disappointed with the service and expressed my concern to the manager saying that service department should have informed me that body was no longer in production and should have gotten my permission first before they proceeded with the repairs. So let this be a lesson to all. Eeek.

#10 Lothianjavert

Lothianjavert

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 22:47

I'd go for the vintage (50's) but it would not be something I would use as an everyday writer due to it being a bit more difficult to get serviced/repaired.  My modern 149 (90's) I use as an everyday but it is not rare or particularly special and that's perfect for an everyday writer.

I think the 75th is pretty.  True, it is a "blinged up" 149, but that MOP star is just lovely.  You might be able to come by one used at a more reasonable price.   For something special though the vintage 149 would be my choice.

Or.... save up and eventually get both.  :)

#11 Montblanc owner and lover

Montblanc owner and lover

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 900 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 February 2014 - 22:53

I'd go for the 75th anniversary as it is more special but a vintage 149 is very nice too,especially if one of the oldest in celluloid with ski slope feed

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too... Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F. Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

#12 jslallar

jslallar

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,358 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2014 - 17:51

75th vs Vintage

More bling and looks, prestige vs no bling, less on looks and lesser gold visible.

Service cheaper and more accessible vs more expensive and lesser accessiblity (the owrd cheap is used in comparison becaue we know that nothing about MB is cheap per se)

Firmer nib, wonderful if you prefer them vs softer nib, more character and line variation if that is what you want.

More show off value in a party vs more show of value in a pen show.

In short entirely your choice. Both are beauties and keepers

Enjoy your pens
Have a nice day
Junaid

#13 Blade Runner

Blade Runner

Blade Runner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,162 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2014 - 18:16

Are they of similar price?  I would think the 50s 149 to be much more.  

#14 BMG

BMG

Medium Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 714 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 18:18

A '50s era 149.

Écrire c’est tenter de savoir ce qu’on écrirait si on écrivait. – M. Duras

#15 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2014 - 15:00

A 60's-70's mb 149

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#16 UltimatePenPolish

UltimatePenPolish

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:31

As someone else said, depending on what vintage 149 you're looking to get and in what condition... You're looking at a price difference of about 400% or more...

Keep that in mind.

Montblanc Pen PolishFountain Pen Flush

#17 jebib

jebib

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 17:55

My opinion is it depends on your level of obsession?  Will you be able to control yourself to purchase one or the other?  Because if you wind up with both I suspect the sooner you purchase the 75Th the less you will pay for it.  If on the other hand you have enough self control to just have one, I'd propose the 75th because of its better bling.  Bear in mind I was sharing with you my thought process as I think I'd settle for just one as MB is not a collection item for me. 

Edited by jebib, 11 August 2014 - 17:56.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 149, 75th, rose gold, diplomat, vintage, modern

Sponsored Content

|