Bottles That You Will Never Finish

Bigeddie

Violette pensée... I was thinking either Ajisai or Tyrian purple and got neither...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• ravantra

• snowcandy

• Bigeddie

My 4.5 oz bottle of HOD will probably never run dry, because I don't like using straight black ink and thus it has been designated for mixing. I also thought that I would never wind up using my bottle of Shin-ryoku because, while it's a nice green, it's just a bit too bright and not water resistant (a must for my inks) enough to be a daily writer. But now that I discovered that it seems to behave with being mixed with HOD it will be getting much more use. :-)

Also, I have a bunch of samples from Ink Drop that will never be used because they just aren't my cup of tea. At least not until I can get a dip pen and start cataloguing all the colors.

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

The huge bottle of Heart of Darkness will last very, very long, I think. Especially with Aurora Black at the ready. And 150 ml of Akkerman Bekakt Haags should take me quite a while, too.

But it will probably be the Parker Quink Blue that I'll never finish. Just don't like it very much.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

I'll end up using all my inks, since I can use them for quick drafting or taking notes, but I'll have problems with more reddish than expected ones such as Sailor Grenade or Waterman Havana brown.

Trader Joe's blended Scotch whiskey - ick. But seriously, like others I buy black ink and then never use it.

Right now I have some Waterman Intense Black cartridges as well as some Parker Quink Black cartridges. I think I have used one of each. I have two unopened packages of the Waterman carts I am not going to get to.

Of my bottled inks? Probably Noodler's 54th Massachusetts gets the least amount of use right now.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

A couple of bottles I don't think I'll ever finish are Akkerman Oranje Boven and a 4.5 oz bootle of Noodler's Kung-te cheng. I like them, but I rarely use those inks.

"No one can be a great thinker who does not recognize that as a thinker it is his first duty to follow his intellect to whatever conclusions it may lead. Truth gains more even by the errors of one who, with due study, and preparation, thinks for himself, than by the true opinions of those who only hold them because they do not suffer themselves to think." -J.S. Mill, On Liberty

For me, this is a function of how many bottles I have overall. Since I started getting into collecting ink and trying all different kinds several years ago, I haven't finished a single bottle of ANYTHING. Not even one of the measly 30 mL Caran d'Ache or LE Montblanc ones!

I would say that I would never finish the big bottle of Ghost Blue that I bought, because really, how much invisible ink can a lawyer use? But, I use this ink as a mixing base and I will purchase more someday. I would then say, it must be one of those giant Akkerman bottles, but I converted all my Akkerman inks into samples. So, um.... I guess that means the rest of my ink closet because I just don't know that I'm going to finish these in my lifetime.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Probably my bottle of Diamine Ancient Copper. I love the ink but have found it is rather underwhelming in the finer nibs I use on a daily basis.. it is also not that fastest drying ink in the world. I love to use the ink in broader/flex nibs to write letters / diary entries but that is not nearly as often as I would like. I also don't think I'll get through my bottle of Liberty's Elysium anytime soon. It's another color that I love but it dries out far too quickly in my nib to be used as an everyday ink. Still, I'm happy I have both inks at my disposal for the right occasion.

I recently purchased a whole bunch of blue/blue-black samples so it might be awhile until I finish any of my bottled ink. It's just too much fun to change.

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

My color inks are the ones which won't get used up. Black zips through my pens quickly. Color inks are not as versatile as the black.

It was actually this realization that made me quit buying colored inks. I want a few for variety, and I want a red for correcting papers, but otherwise, a big collection of inks is a waste of money for me.

Black is the only color I don't use directly for writing. However, I do use it in mixing when I want a darker shade of a color, which is why I bought it. I've got a Waterman Black - my only black - and with only using a drop here and a drop there, it's going to last a long long time.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If you count samples, I've gotten from isellpens, I'll never use Diamine Soft Mint. I love teal inks, but this is just too light for my taste. Also, I'll never use Iroshizuku Ina-ho. I don't care anything about the color of "Rice ear." In addition, the Noodler's samples I have, I'll probably never use. I just don't like keeping up with which Noodler's inks are "safe" and which aren't.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

When faced with the possibility that I might not use up all the ink in each of my approximately 110 bottles of ink, I rush out and by more fountain pens.

Diamine Oxblood and Diamine Chocolate Brown.

The first I bought because I didn't have a good red yet. I love the colour, but I don't use red often, and it has some less desirable qualities: sometimes it looks grainy, is not very wet, and dries extremely quickly in your pen! Dries after one day of not using in my TWSBI580!

The second: I added it to a package to reach the treshold for free shipping. The colour is OK, but it seems to me that it has small particles of something solid that make it look grainy.

J Herbin Diabolo Menthe. My first "colored" ink and its just too light for any practical use.

http://www.nerdice.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/blah-cultural-Nicolas-Cage-nicolas-cage-300x150.jpg

Anything by Noodlers. Foolishly i bought several of their inks; but I refuse to touch them.

Why do you say that? For all the negative review of them there are at least three positive ones.

http://www.nerdice.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/blah-cultural-Nicolas-Cage-nicolas-cage-300x150.jpg