Will Diamine Syrah Stain My Pen?

Lady P

When I buy a new pen, it is often with a particular ink in mind. About a month ago, I bought a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise with an M nib with the intention of inking it up with some black ink, and it's currently happily inked up with Aurora Black. Then I bought a Pelikan M200 with a B nib with the intention of inking it up with some Diamine Syrah, which I thought would look gorgeous if used with a broad wet nib. Alas, the M200 B nib turned out to be awfully dry, so much so that it turned Syrah's rich burgundy color into something rather pink. :yikes: After much tinkering (think: flushing, brass shim work, ink changes), I found that my M200 works decently well with Aurora Black. Granted, it makes Aurora Black look lighter than Waterman Intense Black looks in some of my wetter pens :rolleyes: , but then, I've always been a "black is black is black is black" kind of gal, so I don't particularly mind. Except that now I have two broad-ish nibbed pens inked up with black ink, and none with Syrah, which made me consider inking up the M400 with Syrah. But! My M400 is a white pen. Diamine Syrah is a red-ish ink. You see where I'm going with this...

So here's my question: will Diamine Syrah stain my pen? Has anyone tried using this ink with a white pen (or with a demonstrator)? Did anything bad happen? :unsure:

Reason for editing: spelling

Edited by Lady P

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lady P

• JefferyS

• dojocho

• Renfield

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Diamine Syrah isn't particularly noted as a stainer, though any ink will stain to some degree. Flushing has always cleaned up my clear fountain pens.

Jeffery

In the Irish Channel of

New Orleans, LA

4 Duofolds, a P25 and a TWSBI Mini...no problem whatsoever

Thou shalt not stir one foot to seek a foe.

Eadem Mutata Resurgo.

Okay. I think I'll give it a shot!

Interestingly enough, I'm very, very picky about my red-ish inks (much more so than with other colors). I like deep, rich burgundies, but I don't at all like bright reds (to say nothing of pink!). So I can be enamored with a given red in one pen, and absolutely hate it in another. With other colors, it can be a matter of liking an ink better in some pen than in another, but with reds, it gets pretty extreme (love turns into hate and vice versa). We'll see how the M400/Syrah combination measures up! ;)

Edited by Lady P

No, but if you find that it does, soak the barrel and/or cap in a dilute solution of houshold bleach. The nib itself needs no more than the usual water cleaning.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

No, but if you find that it does, soak the barrel and/or cap in a dilute solution of houshold bleach. The nib itself needs no more than the usual water cleaning.

Okay, good to know! :thumbup:

No problems with Syrah staining any of my Pelikans.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Okay, I tried Diamine Syrah in my M400 (M). Ultimately, I found that I didn't like it. Yes, it's better (=darker) than in the M200 (B ), but it's definitely lighter than in my M200 (M). I also tried Syrah in my Italix Parson's Essential with a fine italic nib, which is broader than both my M400 M nib and my M200 B nib, and that was even better, but I'm still not thrilled.

I love, love, love the color that I get when I use Diamine Syrah in my M200 (M), and I was hoping to find a pen that would give me that same color, only a thicker line. But perhaps that's not possible. Perhaps I just wasn't meant to use this ink in broad-nibbed pens. :(

Still, there's no point in having two broad nibbed pens inked up with black ink, and since Aurora Black is pretty much the only ink that I like in my new M200 (B ), I set out to find an alternative ink for my M400 (M). I tried several of my inks, and I've settled on Diamine Sherwood Green. I like this pen/ink combination, even though I'm still not 100% sold on it. I'll stick with it for a bit, though, and see if it grows on me. If not... I'll be in the hunt for new ink for my M400 (M)! It's a special pen, and it deserves special ink. :happyberet:

Edited by Lady P

I only use demonstrators and I've never had it stain.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Actually, I changed my mind: I love Diamine Syrah in my Italix Parson's Essential with a fine italic nib (which, being italic, is actually a pretty broad nib). It didn't look that great on the paper that I initially tested it on (some no-name notebook that I got in a local supermarket), but it looks pretty amazing in my Paperblanks journal. :wub:

So. Syrah problem solved: I found a perfect broad-ish nib for it. :thumbup: (Plus I don't have to worry about staining since the pen is burgundy with a black section.)