The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Flexi Favourites

flex flexible nibs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 20:15

I'm beginning to enjoy my flex pens (mainly Waterman's), but I was looking recently at Noodler's Ahab's. Now they are cheap, but I've also read the thread here that they are best when adjusted with the use of a dremel. Now I've been asking around and can't find anyone I know with a dremel, so if I bought an Ahab I would probably have to buy a dremel to make the adjustment. To do that, a cheap pen would end up being quite expensive. So, I started to search a little and saw the Pilot Namiki (for roughly the same price as a dremel and an Ahab!) and it said it had a flexible nib. I just wondered if anyone had any experience of the Pilot Namiki (saw it on Goulet pens website) and if it is just as 'stiff' to use as the Ahab.

Essentially what I was looking for was a cheap pen that I could throw any ink into without worrying and sometimes I worry about certain inks in my vintage pens that have flex nibs.

Sponsored Content

#2 rhr2010

rhr2010

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 20:38

Namiki Falcon or Noodler's Ahab have some springiness but in terms of flex do not match at all vintage Waterman flex nibs. Some nibsters provide some aggressive modifications to nibs that give some resemblance to vintage Waterman or Swan pens. Pendleton Brown at some point offered on Twisbi pens a nib modification called "Bad Boy with Angel Wings" or some name like that and that nib has pretty nice flex...no affiliation, just have that nib and Iike it...you might inquire here http://pendletonspen...Work/index.html

But if you want great flex, you might also just stick with your vintage Waterman pens...or Swan pens...

" I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." -- Albert Einstein

#3 Apprenti

Apprenti

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 21:00

You can do the EMF mod with needle files, which will cost you next to nothing.

#4 Pentulant

Pentulant

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 21:40

The Pilot Falcon (probably the pen you saw on Goulet's) is a good pen with some flex.  (Some writing samples here and here.) It's a pen I enjoy a great deal, but it is no where near the flex-ability of the vintage Waterman.  The soft-fine nib seems to be the one suggested for getting the most flex (or perhaps it's the soft extra-fine by now).

On the Noodler's - I don't like them. They require too much fiddling with for me, but it sounds like you're prepared to fiddle some with it so your experience may be different. 

pentulant [adjective]: immodest or wanton in search of all things related to pens<BR> [proper noun]: Christine Witt Visit Pentulant<br>
President, Brush Dance - we make high-quality, mindful Calendars, Planners, Journals, and other fun stuff you'll love

#5 legume

legume

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 February 2014 - 22:06

The Namiki Falcon is more a soft, bouncy nib than anything else, a semiflex, maybe. If you want to go the Noodler's route, why not try putting a large dip nib in place of the Ahab nib? In this video Stephen Brown uses a Brause Rose nib to modify his Ahab. You can get nibs from places like John Neal Bookseller, JetPens, and Paper and Ink Arts. It still requires a lot of fiddling and maybe hacking the feed, but it seems like a worthwhile experiment. I'm including an Ahab in my next Goulet order so I can try this out.

#6 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,388 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 22:28

Try dip pens...they have nibs with real more than wet noodle Flex.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#7 discopig

discopig

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 22:43

I love my Namiki Falcon, but I love my vintage Moore pen even more. They are both good flex pens, but the Moore flexes significantly more with a lot less pressure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flex, flexible, nibs

Sponsored Content

|