The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

My Fountain Pen Collection, What To Buy Next?

fountain pen collection new vintage

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:53

Ok, now I'm undecided between Sailor or Pilot. Since I'm buying pretty soon the Vac 700, that's a demonstrator, sonthis opens my field on the japanese brands....what to choose, what to choose?!?

For the pelikan M800 or M1000 those are too expensive for me, i feel there is not much love for the 400 in here hehehehe
Vintage: 1910īs Astra Safety Pen. 1920īs Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930īs Morrisonīs Overlay Filigree, Watermanīs Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940īs Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950īs Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970īs Sheaffer Imperial. 1980īs Cross Century Classic. 1990īs Rotring Newton Lava. Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari. Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandoraīs Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

Sponsored Content

#22 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:56

I would love an urushi or a maki e pen, but sadly it is out of my budget :(
Vintage: 1910īs Astra Safety Pen. 1920īs Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930īs Morrisonīs Overlay Filigree, Watermanīs Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940īs Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950īs Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970īs Sheaffer Imperial. 1980īs Cross Century Classic. 1990īs Rotring Newton Lava. Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari. Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandoraīs Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

#23 ehemem

ehemem

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:15

TWSBI is not a Japanese pen.

Look at the Pilot 823. I have the smoke version in F, M, and B. And then there is the Sailor Realo in either the standard model or the ProGear model. I have a black Realo with a M nib, but my red Realo with a F nib is by far my favorite of the 2. Both of the Sailor nibs are very smooth.

#24 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,790 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:47

I think you should keep the MB 149 and acquire Pelikans, Montblancs and a Parker 51 or two with a medium or wider nib. 

The rest of the pens are inferior and you should sell them for as much as you can get out of them.

After trying a lot of other pens I have found that the Montblancs, Pelikans and my first Parker 51 have velvety smooth nibs in contrast to all the other schmuck pens that scratch, dig and just dry up.  Why buy a lot of carpola just to collect it and mark it down on a list egged on by someone else?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#25 Lady P

Lady P

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:12

For the pelikan M800 or M1000 those are too expensive for me, i feel there is not much love for the 400 in here hehehehe

M400 is an excellent pen. It's just that I'm not convinced it writes any better than the also excellent and 2-3 times cheaper M200. (Mind you, the two - M200 and M400 - do feel different, it's just that there is no consensus on which is better. Some people prefer one, and some prefer the other.) M400 does look fancier, although the M200 is nothing to scoff at either. 

#26 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2014 - 14:41

Ehemem i know that twsbi is not a japanese brand is from Taiwan, the thing is that i was planing to buy a Sailor 1911 demo, but since the vac 700 is a demo and i'm going to buy it soon, that opens my options for the japanese brands and models. Also, as Kpyeoman suggested, the 1911 looks like the MB 149 only smaller, then I'm looking at Sailor pro gear or Pilot vanishing points

#27 zchen

zchen

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 649 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 February 2014 - 17:54

For Sailor I think you should look to get a pen with one of their special nibs (Zoom or Naginata Togi for example), not to say their regular nibs aren't great, but to me those are the more iconic aspect of Sailor.

Edited by zchen, 06 February 2014 - 17:55.

#28 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2014 - 00:57

Ok, so since I started this post, my mind has changed as of what fountain pens to add to my collection:

Twsbi Vac 700 clear demo B nib
Conklin Mark Twain Zebra M nib
Visconti Rembrandt caligraphy set Flex, M, 1.1
Lamy 2000 makrolon F nib
Pelikan M205 Taupe M nib
Platinum Modern Maki e mount fuji 18kt B nib

#29 penrivers

penrivers

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 02:15

Next ?, well, as we cant buy writing talent, we can enroll in a creative writing course. Relax, just kidding.

#30 apkayle

apkayle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 03:21

Hello, as of now my collection of fountain pens consists of 6 pens:

Lamy Safari Yellow - M steel nib 2010's

Rotring Freeway Aluminum Black - M nib 1990's

Mont Blanc Meisterstück 149 black precious resin
F 18 ct nib 1980's

Sheaffers Imperial Sterling Silver set (mechanical pencil and ballpoint) with a M 14kt nib 1970's

Parker 45 roll gold with M 14kt nib 1960's

Conway Stewart Dinkie 550 Blue Marbled casein set (pencil) with a semi flex 14kt nib 1950's

Wahl Eversharp Skyline grey resin with striped cap set (pencil) with a semi flex 14kt nib 1940's

Waterman Ideal Thorobred tiger eye striated celluloid with a soft flex 14kt nib 1930's

Now, i want to expand my collection with contemporary fountain pens that have a particular history to the pen or brand, and doesn't cost more than $250. I also want to cover most of the countries that manufacture fountain pens...

My wish list is:

Pelikan M400 green and black resin with a M 14kt nib

Sailor 1911s clear demonstrator edition with a B 14kt nib

Visconti Rembrandt Caligraphy set Red cotton resin it comes with a flex, M, and stub 1.1 nibs

Lamy 2000 Mykrolon with F 14kt nib

Conklin Crescent Mark Twain zebra edition with black titanium coated steel M nib

Twsbi Vac 700 smoke with B steel nib

What do you think? Should I change to another brand or pen?

Thanks for your recommendations...

Just a note about the Conklin Crescent Mark Twain:

One neat feature about this pen is that you can fit it with a Noodler's size 6 flex nib. I remember the nib feeling flexier than usual in that pen. (I guess the flexiness is due to less of the nib being covered up by the section?) You can also install Goulet nibs in there which means most size 6 nibs will comfortably fit the pen. 

#31 csacks

csacks

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 February 2014 - 05:35

I would suggest math lessons instead of a new FP. You said that you have a collection of 6 FP and then you listed 8. :D

Being serious, haven´t you tried cursive italic or oblique nibs?. They might be a full different experience since  you only listed regular nibs in between your list. You have already received a lot of good suggestions about brands and models, but I would suggest to experience with those nibs.

This is just starting, then you get possessed by brands, models and nibs. The combination is almost infinite.      

#32 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:13

Yes you are right, and now I have added a 1920's hard rubber guilloched Wardrite (made by the National Pen Company) third tier fountain pen, it has a semi flex 14ct nib.

So now I have a pen for each decade from 1920 till today.

I'm also looking to a Duke bamboo fountain pen, that is from China and is very affordable, let's see how it writes!

#33 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:15

Btw csacks, the Visconti calligraphy set comes with three different nibs and one of them is a 1.5 stub. The vac 700 that I want to own will have a 1.1 italic nib.

#34 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 00:11

Expanding my collection.

I bought some chinese pens:

Duke bamboo fountain pen, it has a steel nib, it is really wonderfull and the barrell is made out of chinese bamboo, really cool!

Kaigelu 316 amber swirl celluloid, this is supposed to be an Australian company that make their pens in china.

Airmail eye dropper with a beatiful violet acrilic and clear barrell, this pens are made in India.

Pilot vintage 1980 stone finished with a gold plated steel nib, it is a c/c

#35 FontisAtramentum

FontisAtramentum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 March 2014 - 00:15

My wish list has changed:

Monteverde Intima volcano edition

Twsbi Vac 700 clear with stub 1.1

Conklin Crescent Mark Twain in spearmint green

Delta Serena in red with titanium trim and nib

Pelikan M625 Mount Everest edition 18ct nib

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fountain pen, collection, new, vintage

Sponsored Content

|