My Fountain Pen Collection, What To Buy Next?

Zillaxila

Hello, as of now my collection of fountain pens consists of 6 pens:

Lamy Safari Yellow - M steel nib 2010's

Rotring Freeway Aluminum Black - M nib 1990's

Mont Blanc Meisterstück 149 black precious resin

F 18 ct nib 1980's

Sheaffers Imperial Sterling Silver set (mechanical pencil and ballpoint) with a M 14kt nib 1970's

Parker 45 roll gold with M 14kt nib 1960's

Conway Stewart Dinkie 550 Blue Marbled casein set (pencil) with a semi flex 14kt nib 1950's

Wahl Eversharp Skyline grey resin with striped cap set (pencil) with a semi flex 14kt nib 1940's

Waterman Ideal Thorobred tiger eye striated celluloid with a soft flex 14kt nib 1930's

Now, i want to expand my collection with contemporary fountain pens that have a particular history to the pen or brand, and doesn't cost more than $250. I also want to cover most of the countries that manufacture fountain pens...

My wish list is:

Pelikan M400 green and black resin with a M 14kt nib

Sailor 1911s clear demonstrator edition with a B 14kt nib

Visconti Rembrandt Caligraphy set Red cotton resin it comes with a flex, M, and stub 1.1 nibs

Lamy 2000 Mykrolon with F 14kt nib

Conklin Crescent Mark Twain zebra edition with black titanium coated steel M nib

Twsbi Vac 700 smoke with B steel nib

What do you think? Should I change to another brand or pen?

Thanks for your recommendations...

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zillaxila

• Lady P

• Calamus plasticus

• amk

From what I've personally experienced, the Lamy isn't the highest quality in terms of construction. I think, though, I experienced a lemon, and hope the glowing reviews all over the internet should speak for itself. I really do love the design and I hope the next one I touch won't have its cap falling off. Lamy is supposed to be a highly reliable brand, and my Safari certainly shows that.

My safari is perfect, it has a very smooth nib and always starts great. I am repeating the brand in my collection because the safari was a gift, and the lamy 2000 has a background of great quality, design, and the price is reaaaally good for what you get

Vintage: 1910´s Astra Safety Pen. 1920´s Mabie Todd Swan lever filler, Royal Red Hard Rubber, The Eric Pen Woodgrain Ebonite. 1930´s Morrison´s Overlay Filigree, Waterman´s Ideal Thorobred, Conklin Endura. 1940´s Eversharp Skyline, Parker Vacumatic, Aurora 88. 1950´s Conway Stewart 15, Esterbrook J. 1970´s Sheaffer Imperial. 1980´s Cross Century Classic. 1990´s Rotring Newton Lava.

Modern: Nakaya Neo Standard, Montblanc Meisterstuck 149, Pelikan Souverän M1000, Omas 360 Vintage, Sailor 1911 Black Luster, Pilot Capless Raden, Pilot Custom 823 FA, Platinum 3776 Maki-e, Namiki Falcon, Lamy 2000, Montegrappa Espressione Duetto, Delta Dolce Vita, Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze, Stipula Etruria Rainbow, Marlen Aleph, Bexley Poseidon, Franklin-Christoph 02, Namisu Nexus Titanium, Tactile Turn Gist, Karas Kustoms Ink, Twsbi Vac 700, Levenger L-Tech, Filcao Atlantica, Kaweco AC Sport, Lamy Safari.

Custom: Scriptorium Pens Idyll, Jonathon Brooks Solar Dust, Newton Pens Eastman, Fisher of Pens Hydra, Romulus Pen Works Snakewood, John Brady Solano, Lyle Ross Pompey, Troy Clark Copper pen, Antiguas Estilográficas Ebonite, Ryan Krusac Legend L14, Aileron pens Tsunami, Edison Pens Collier Amber, Sutra Pens Aquila Octopi, Hooligan Pens Buffalo Celluloid, Yoshi Nakama Snake pen, Kilk Kalem Pandora´s Box, Hakumin Urushi Ao Tamenuri Pearl, Fosfor Pens Islander, Sutra Pen Aquila.

Of the pens you show an interest in, I would recommend the Lamy 2000 myself.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Of the pens you've listed I'd pass on the Lamy 2000, the Twisbi, the Sailor and the Conklin. If you can live with what I consider one of the ugliest and impractical clip designs ever, the Visconti calligraphy set might be fun and the M400 is always a winner.

My Website

I'm a Pelikan fan. You can't go wrong with an M400, but do also consider an M2xx (M200, M205, or M215). Some people prefer the M400 nibs (gold), and some prefer the M200 nibs (steel). I personally haven't quite made up my mind about which I prefer, but I can tell you that M2xx pens are two-to-three times cheaper than the M40x pens. If you've never had a Pelikan before, I recommend starting with an M2xx, and saving the rest of your money for some other pen. Unless, that is, you much prefer the looks of M400.

I suggest the Lamy 2000 also. I have a 2000 in my rotation. If you like fine nibs - get the X-fine. If you like medium nibs get the fine.

I am not a fan of the TWSBI.

I would also suggest adding to your wish list the Pilot VP or Demico. Then when you add them to your list, go out and get one.

Edited by Steven

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

The thing is Lady P...i looove the two tone nib on the Pelikan M400, the inlaid work is beautifull, and the steel nib of the M200 is dull. Also, the size of the M400 is more suitable for my hands

I understand that the conklin is not what it used to be, but I like the "innovative" filling mechanism, and is very hard to find one in excellent condition from the vintage era 1920's

Steven, i'm not a big fan of the Vanishing Point, also from what I have read, Sailor makes better nibs than Pilot?

A demonstrator is certainly missing in your collection. A pilot Custom Heritage 92, for example, or a Pelikan demo... a piston filler is nice for a demo. The vac 700 is also interesting because of the filling system, but the nib is far far away from a Pilot or a Pelikan.

The thing is Lady P...i looove the two tone nib on the Pelikan M400, the inlaid work is beautifull, and the steel nib of the M200 is dull. Also, the size of the M400 is more suitable for my hands

Okay, if you're willing to pay extra for aesthetics, that's cool. :happyberet: (And the M400 is certainly a beautiful pen; I have the White Tortoise one.) However, keep in mind that the M200 and M400 are of exactly the same size. If you want something bigger than M200, you'd need to go for an M600.

A demonstrator is certainly missing in your collection. A pilot Custom Heritage 92, for example, or a Pelikan demo... a piston filler is nice for a demo. The vac 700 is also interesting because of the filling system, but the nib is far far away from a Pilot or a Pelikan.

The Sailor 1911s that Is on my wish list is a clear demonstrator with a 14kt Nib, however is a c/c pen.

The Sailor 1911s that Is on my wish list is a clear demonstrator with a 14kt Nib, however is a c/c pen.

I know it is... but a c/c demo is boring, isn't it? Well, perhaps you can adapt it as an eyedropper, that is way more exciting. But I cerainly like piston filler demos a lot more than c/c.

IMO, don't waste your money on a modern post '97 400.

An '83-89 would be best for semi-vintage, it is reputed to have a bit more spring, the '90-97 second. Those are regular flex. My '90's Pelikan nibs the M400 and two Celebry nibs I find to be very good springy regular flex nib. On par with the better 200's nibs.

For real nice semi-flex and or 'flexi' nibs the '50's 400, 400N, 400NN or the 500 would give you very nice nibs in semi-flex to 'flexi'/maxi-semi-flex depending on your luck.

IMO modern stiff or regular flex Obliques do nothing...had a nail now a CI, have Lamy 27 regular flex OM, no real line variation.

The pre'66 Pelikan obliques are very nice. I have 2 semi-flex 140s' (OB&OF) & a 400NN 'flexi' OF those three have @ 15 degree grind.

My 500's flexi OBB is 30 degree and that makes a big difference to the pattern.

Obliques with some flex are some line variation, with more line variation....on demand.

Stub or CI is aways the same ...max line variation.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Hmm...your collection to date is quite diverse. I was looking for a theme that might help you decide (I recently have refocused to black pens with rhodium trim, for example). Personally, I think you can't go wrong with the 2000. It's a cool design and a lot of pen for the money.

Another solid piston option is the Pioot Custom Heritage 92...I'm especially partial to the smoke version. I find my b nib is closer to a b than other Japanese brands.

Finally, I'd suggest looking at a Sailor ProGear, rather than the 1911. You already have a MB, so you may not find this to be enough of a "new" pen. The PG has a similar length to the Pelikan M400, but has a lot more girth. The nib is quite a treat, too.

Best of luck in your search!

I would go for the Pelikan, but not the 400 but at least a 800, not to mention the 1000. Matches the MB 149. As for a Conid, in a few months they will have king size.