Shopping On A Budget!

Tadeusz

It was the other way around, I needed a standard double jewel cap, I have the debutante.

But I have another vacumatic (this one in blue) and it has major issues. The section was snapped off my a previous owner, then hastily glued on. When I tried to find out the cause of the leakage from the section, the section fell off without even touching it (once I applied heat from a hairdryer).

Thus, I have the threaded portion stuck in the barrel, with the gripping part of the section loose from the pen. i do not know how I could get that restored, as it seems extremely specialized. They would have to be able to somehow get ahold of the threaded portion and remove it without ripping the barrel to pieces. And then there is the task of obtaining a new section.

It is an azure blue major, the one with the incorrect cap is a double jeweled green standard.

I fear the cost of restoring the azure blue one would cost drastically more than the pen itself did (It cost $50 from ebay), and with an extremely high chance of damage.

Oh sorry. I wasn't sure what one you meant. Either way you could try posting a WTT or emailing different restorers. Ron Zorn could probably fix your Vac and find a new section. If it's a black section then that shouldn't be too difficult to obtain. I'm not sure how much this would cost though, but he may be able to give you a rough estimate, especially if you can provide some detailed photos of the damage.

Also, if you are still looking to buy a Vac I would take a look at myfavoritepen.com. His family is selling off his stock at very good prices if you buy two pens.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tadeusz

• Florida Blue

• Paddler

• overwriter

Thank you both for your replies.

In response to Paddler, yes, I guess I shall have to run through everything with a fine toothed comb! Hopefully my efforts will produce something.

And in response to Florida Blue:

I was saddened to hear of the passing of "Old Griz", even though I have only read his forum posts. His site seems to have quite a few pens for good prices, I will have to look further into it.

I hope I didn't come off as rude or insulting in my previous reply to you, Florida Blue, I assure you it wasn't my intention.

Thank you,

Tadeusz

I was saddened to hear of the passing of "Old Griz", even though I have only read his forum posts. His site seems to have quite a few pens for good prices, I will have to look further into it.

I hope I didn't come off as rude or insulting in my previous reply to you, Florida Blue, I assure you it wasn't my intention.

Thank you,

Tadeusz

No, it did not come off as insulting at all. I was also sad to learn of Old Griz's passing. He was a huge asset to the forum and an excellent source for 51s and 51 knowledge.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Okay, just wanted to make sure. The internet has a fun way of messing with things.

If I am to change gears, does anyone know if there will be an opaque version of the Custom Heritage 92, or if Pilot has any intents on making a piston filler for a comparable price?

Thanks,

Tadeusz

You can't go wrong with a Pelikan M200. Not expensive, piston filler, lots of nib options, damn near indestructible. Great writer too.

And currently priced at $89 from FPH for the black classic model or $99 for the demonstrator. Fahrney's has the demo on sale also.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

If you're still looking for possible next pens, have you looked at the piston-fill version of the Bexley Corona? It is about the size of the Senior DuoFold, but made in modern materials. It is available for a very reasonable price with a steel nib, or for a higher price with a gold nib. Mine has the steel, and it is a very good pen for the money.

I notice you mention the Onoto plunger fillers.

The nibs are.. are.. [searching for the right word] superb. I have 4 of these, including my grandmother's pen. The pens are hard to live with if you use them in a busy office where their use is regularly interrupted. However it's hard to think of anything better for letter writing.

Alternatively, what about an old Mabie Todd 'Blackbird', model BB2/60? Little lever fillers, mostly with flex nibs and relatively inexpensive. I got my early one (same shape but before the model name was incised on the end) for £15 ($22-ish) and it only needed a new sac. Gorgeous pen with a lovely semi flex nib.

Regards,

Richard.

Thank you both for your replies.

In response to Paddler, yes, I guess I shall have to run through everything with a fine toothed comb! Hopefully my efforts will produce something.

Thank you,

Tadeusz

it helps to ask the vendors if they have any pens.

i had a vendor once tell me they did not, i left the shop and they found me two stalls down and handed me an eversharp skyline and said, "here take this". he wanted to give it to me for free but i gave him $10 because i want to pay people a minimum of what the melt for the nib is.

if you stop regularly at a flea market people will call you the pen guy and tell you if they found anything new. the best places to look are vendors who deal in smalls and furniture vendors