The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pencil To Match/complement A Vanishing Point

pencils pilot vp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 alex137

alex137

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 15:50

I have a black carbonesque Pilot VP with rhodium accents.  It's beautiful.  And next to it, my Pilot Dr. Grip pencil looks dreadful.  Anybody know of a pencil that would come close to matching?  I want one with a fat body like the VP, and from what I can tell Pilot doesn't make a VP pencil.  Thanks.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ike Levens

Ike Levens

Roboticist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:14

I have the exact same problem.  My solution so far has been to not use pencil, but its; not a great solution when doing heavy mathematics.

#3 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 17:42

Not cheap, but: have a look at the Porsche Design pencils. Several models.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#4 Steven

Steven

Bon Vivant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 18:37

Take a look at the Pentel Sharp Kerry Mechanical Pencil. It might do the trick. Also the Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil.

Edited by Steven, 31 January 2014 - 18:38.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

#5 attika89

attika89

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 21:09

Not necessarily fat, but kind of unique with it's wooden body.
Pliot S20
I got mine today and I just love it! Beautiful, with the expected Japanese quality.
I have a blue kasuri VP, but I've Photoshopped it a little to get a better idea:

P1170729_3_www.kepfeltoltes.hu_.jpg

#6 alex137

alex137

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 21:24

Take a look at the Pentel Sharp Kerry Mechanical Pencil. It might do the trick. Also the Lamy 2000 mechanical pencil.

Those are both beautiful!  The Kerry looks like it would match quite well...  Thanks!

#7 Striated

Striated

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:02

Perhaps a Rotring 800.  Like the VP nib, the entire sleeve/pipe retracts back into the barrel.

http://www.jetpens.c...Pencils/ct/1152

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

~ George Orwell

#8 j.a.j.

j.a.j.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 February 2014 - 21:21

I just did a bit of research on this exact subject. Came up with these under <30 EUR, <1mm lead size and >1cm grip diameter:

0.9mm lead

1. Scneuder iD https://www.cultpens...cil.html#a11962

0.7mm lead

0.5mm lead

Multiple lead sizes, including 0.3mm

Multiple lead sizes, 0.5mm and bigger

No affiliation with jetpens or cultpens. Once ordered inks, pen and paper from cultpens. Two ink bottles had broken, probaply received too rough love from the caring handlers at DHL. Got nice email from cultpens after i told the bottles had been broken and that i spent two hours cleaning the mess that was caused by opening the packet. As reimbursement cultpens sent substitute ink bottles and a two pound keyring pen..

Edited by j.a.j., 14 February 2014 - 21:22.

Non notisi signi.

#9 Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David

Go Blue!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:14

Retro 51 make a mp in black with chrome trim; usually comes with a white eraser.  Alternatively, they also make a 'stealth' mp using black trim and a black eraser.  In either case, the pencil is of the 'propelling' type and uses 1.15 mm leads.  I actually have both and am happy with them.  

Side note -- some day this whole trendy thing about 'stealth' will disappear.  Personally I think its overdone.  But yes, this is off-topic!

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

#10 warblerick

warblerick

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 February 2014 - 20:33

Retro 51 make a mp in black with chrome trim; usually comes with a white eraser.  Alternatively, they also make a 'stealth' mp using black trim and a black eraser.  In either case, the pencil is of the 'propelling' type and uses 1.15 mm leads.  I actually have both and am happy with them.  

Side note -- some day this whole trendy thing about 'stealth' will disappear.  Personally I think its overdone.  But yes, this is off-topic!

I agree. Also, the rose gold phenomenon, especially in timepieces. Way overdone, IMHO.

Edited by warblerick, 16 February 2014 - 20:34.

#11 tedd

tedd

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:22

I had a Pentel Sharp Kerry that I bought to go along with my hard earned Namiki Vanishing Point (back in the day when they were made with plastic bodies) before I lost it. I agree that's going to be your best bet for a similar design. As alternates, you may find something you like by Tombow or Zebra that might match well, but I don't think you'll find a better match than the Pentel.

Now I want a Pentel Sharp Kerry. :D

<p><span style="font-size:18px;">"And the final score is No TARDIS, no screwdriver, two minutes to spare. Who da Man!?! (long silence) I am never saying that again. Fine."- The Doctor </span>

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pencils, pilot vp

Sponsored Content

|