• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Kataphract

• Tanzanite

• bsenn

I disagree wholeheartedly with suggestions like the Pilot VP - the pen and nib are far too fragile to survive real field work. The Lamy 2000 is pretty burly and take some abuse, but the gold nib can't, so as such I've had to be more careful with it. Cheap pens like the metro and safari and kaweco would probably be fine choices as well. My metro has done great!

My Metro is my abuse pen, with it's metal body and low cost, but I can't see the ink level and it will run out of ink long before my Twsbi does. Cap doesn't post securely. But cheap and tough aren't bad, and you can always take cartridges.

My Metro is my abuse pen, with it's metal body and low cost, but I can't see the ink level and it will run out of ink long before my Twsbi does. Cap doesn't post securely. But cheap and tough aren't bad, and you can always take cartridges.

Me too. The Metro's a champ. And yep, an extra cartridge or ink sample vial solves its one weak point. I would dare to argue that it's the best modern pen money can buy, because its ridiculous quality to price ratio. And after owning so many higher end pens, it feels good to just throw it in a pants pocket or backpack (or drop it) and not worry about it. And because of this it actually sees a lot more use than the others. Kind of ironic that the more money I spend on a pen, the less use it sees.

• 1 year later...

I'm in agreement with the Kaweko Sport and cartridges, but if you're really bent on Noodler's, my Kaweko seems to like Noodler's Old Manhattan, which I loaded into a cart with a syringe, just fine. Or you could turn it into an ED, as others suggested.

EDIT: my apologies; I didn't realize this was revisiting a thread from 2014!

Edited by Pentode

I second the Vanishing Point -- operates with one hand -- no cap to worry about --metal construction

My "field" (hiking, nature study) standard carries are:

Pentel P209 mech pencil (0.9 size lead). A pencil is a must for me, if for no other reason doing a field label to put in a vial containing alcohol).

Fisher Space pen, ag-7 original model.

Parker 51 (the preferred pocket pen of WW II) :thumbup:

Sometimes, there is also a Kaweco Sport AL in my pants pocket.

That pen may be a good modern choice if ya do not mind the size. The Pilot Metro may make a good modern choice also.

Edited by Moynihan

"I am a dancer who walks for a living" Michael Erard

"Reality then, may be an illusion, but the illusion itself is real." Niklas Luhmann

I've gotta ask how many folk that recommend fountain pens have ever actually used them for field notes?

I have for many years ( 25 or so). I have taken field notes inn deserts, rain forests (Oregon-Washington), high mountain areas, etc., all with a fountain pen. I found ball points to be too problematic especially in more humid environments as pressure on paper leads to holes in paper.

A lot depends on how long i will be in the field. If it is a backpacking trip or a round trip with lots of hiking, I look for an eyedropper as it holds lots of ink. My choice for the last few years have been Preppies converted to ink droppers.

If it is day hiking, then I use Preppies, Sheaffer Touchdowns and Esterbrooks. I am always aware that whatever I take may get lost.