Best Pen For Field Work?

John_David_91

Consider a pencil. A plain wood pencil of the sort that Thoreau's family made. (Henry David figured out the formula for what we call "lead". Thoreau pencils were among the best available). A pencil is what naturalists, hikers, explorers, and soldiers have used in rough conditions.

A few weeks ago, I visited the Museum of Natural History in NYC, where I happened to read though the exhibit on Lincoln Ellsworth, who flew over both the North and South Poles in the '20s. There is his notebook, detailing how his two planes had been forced down on polar ice...and how his team got one of the planes flying again. All in pencil.

Fountain pens were designed for use inside, at a desk in an office. (You can haul a ton of bricks in a Toyota Camry, but it's easier if you use a truck!)

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jar

• Kataphract

• John_David_91

• bsenn

When out walking and camping, I use a bullet Space Pen - it's small and writes on anything. If not that, then a wooden pencil.

I use a small hiker's notebook (it's got fields at the top of the page for distance, height etc) kept in a zip-lock back, but otherwise I'd try a Rite in the Rain or similar waterproof / rugged notepad.

But if a FP would be more conducive to writing for you, then I reckon a Kaweco sport would be as good a choice as any.

Over a hundred bucks: Pilot Vanishing Point.

Under a hundred bucks: Lamy Safari

Use cartridges in either, as that is the only good option when outside and on-the-go.

Edited by Koyote

Lamy Safari has open holes where the ink level can be seen. Perhaps this could increase the risk for leaking.

One of the Kaweco Sport models would be my choice.

Lamy Safari has open holes where the ink level can be seen. Perhaps this could increase the risk for leaking.

One of the Kaweco Sport models would be my choice.

No risk of leaking. The holes simply allow a view of the converter.

No risk of leaking. The holes simply allow a view of the converter.

If you are in the field the pen might be tossed around a bit and if the cartridge loosens the pen might leak.

p51. I'm reminded of a story that a parker 51 fan told me once. He went on a safari and left his p51 in the jeep and came back after 5 days during the summer season. Pulled the cap off and wrote notes and placed the cap on and went about his next business. p51 is a tough little guy. I would choose it over any lamy product any day.

Another vote for a Lamy Safari with a box of cartridges for when you are out and about. As a backup either a Fisher Space Pen or a pencil. If a pencil I'd carry not a mechanical but a wooden one -- and a pocket knife for sharpening it.

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

p51. I'm reminded of a story that a parker 51 fan told me once. He went on a safari and left his p51 in the jeep and came back after 5 days during the summer season. Pulled the cap off and wrote notes and placed the cap on and went about his next business. p51 is a tough little guy. I would choose it over any lamy product any day.

I agree - buy a cheap 'user grade' 51, nothing special and no loss if you damage or use it and you get great utility, rugged durability and excellent writing.

To all those that suggested the VP, they are secure when the nib is in, but they do tend to run out of ink just when you don't want them to. I special ordered a XXXXF nib for one so as to have approximately what a normal capacity for other pens would be.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

I love my fountains, but...

My go to pen in the travel pack is the Pilot G-2 gel. Not very elegant, but writes on all stock and worry free.

~ a little embarrassed like Steven.

Always have a pencil as well.

~ also recommended by Jar

For a FP road warrior, the Lamy AL-Star is a very consistent writer and low maintenance. The Pilot VP eliminates the potential cap issue and a good writer as well.

Good Luck!

Les

I do this a lot, and I find the cheap $3 Pilot Varsity pen works best - 1)they can be used as eyedroppers 2)they hold a large amt of ink once you pull out the nib/feed & refill 3)They are plastic & indestrucible 4)if they fall out of your pocket while running through mountainsides, no big deal 4)stuff steel nibs that tolerate more abuse 5)extreme lightweight to minimize loadweight.

My Carenes never fail to write on anything anywhere, and a couple have taken a real beating with nothing more than scratches. The Lamy 200 has been very durable for me also, and holds more ink. I like Kaweco sports, but occasionally and randomly one will fill its cap with ink and make a huge mess for a little pen.

Have fun

How about a Pilot Metropolitan? It's got a sturdy metal barrel and cap. Fills by cartridge, squeeze converter, CON-50, and probably could be used as an eyedropper.

Another option is to spend $20 and buy a half-dozen Chinese pens.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, after spending a couple hours on and off tweaking and testing and trying to optimize and smooth and perfect a series of fairly expensive FPs, this thread came to mind and I went in to find my Schrade Tactical fountain pen that I set aside 6 weeks or more ago with the half-empty black ink cartridge it came with. I unscrewed the cap, and the thing started writing perfectly, smoothly, solidly and flawlessly after all that time, with absolutely no attention at all. Not too many other pens (even expensive ones) that you could say that about. And, you could use the Schrade pen to drive nails or as a tent peg in an emergency without hurting it.

http://i59.tinypic.com/ekfh5f.jpg

Lamy Safari - inexpensive, very solid construction and swappable nibs. You could even get a couple of extra nibs to take with you to swap in, just in case.

I'd take my favourite pen,in a leather (cigar) case in a metal (cigar) case. And a mechanical pencil with various coloured leads.

Incidentally, I recall reading that Wainwright used a basic dip quill pen at home, working from photos...wonder what he used in the field?

I believe this will be your choice: Ohto Tasche. I carry one in my jeans pocket, with my keys. Not a single scratch. The nib isn't scratchy but it gives you some feedback when writing on cheaper paper. On 80 gsm paper it's good. Fine japanese steel nib (western extra fine) with a lot of flex (actually you can get a very wet broad line from it). It measures less than 10 cm, but 14 cm posted. It only uses small international cartridges, but that ink lasts long time, it is curious. I'm currently using Noodler's Liberty's Elysium with no problems at all. And, the best? You can get it on Amazon or eBay for less than 20 US dollars. Sometimes they include shipping.

BTW, I live in a sunny and humid country. Not a single issue with this pen. Just love it. I remember sbrebrown on YouTube has a video review you should check. Cheers!

EDIT: All metal body. Like five color combinations I carry two cartridges but, since I like A LOT that color, I carry a small Goulet vial (no affiliated) full with Noodler's Liberty's Elysium with a blunt tip syringe in the backpack. Doesn't leak and it's just useful when doing a long trip with lots of writing.

Edited by Guillermo

I just watched a video of the Monteverde Regatta Sport pen. It really has a outdoor utility look to it. Has a magnetic cap so no worries about posting. Comes in very bright colors of red, yellow and blue. If I was going to do writing outdoors I would certainly look at this pen.

I don't have a way to post a picture or video of this pen, but maybe someone else could for this thread.

Thanks