• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Aray924

• Steven

• JakobS

• Ted A

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In grade school using a Sheaffer School Pen and peacock blue ink.

Current phase, about a year ago, after I cleaned up my mother's Parker 51 desk pen, and my Parker 180 that I used in college.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

First time ever: visiting back home during summer and friend showed me her new diary written in Iroshizuku Kon-peki.

I was taken by the beauty of the color and my friend let me try her Lamy Safari...been hooked ever since.

Today! It arrived yesterday, and before that, I had never handled one or even seen one in person. It has a stub nib and I'm finding it rather challenging to write with it and keep the ink flow consistent.

As for learning what a fountain pen is, admittedly, that happened as recently as last month or the month before. Apart from stereotypical portrayals of quills in the media, I wasn't familiar with older writing instruments. It turns out that my mother used Shaeffers in grade school, but she had never brought it up until I spoke of fountain pens.

I had to do a World War II journal for my history class and I decided I wanted to get into the mood. I inked up my dad's Waterman Super Master that had never been touched (after reading about fountain pens of course) and I wrote away. Three months and five more pens later I have started a hobby/addiction that I have come to really enjoy. As a high school student money is a bit tight, but it is worth every penny.

Edited by Aray924

Fairly recently, not yet a year. Truly my LAMY Safari has become such a part of my life it does not matter when, but recently. I was looking for a renewable fine writing instrument and came across fountain pens. I needed an inexpensive writing instrument that could take a HUGE beating if needed. I am a Biologist that works in the field and in the lab so water, chemical and weathering resistance is a must so I picked noodler's bulletproof black. For durability and price I picked LAMY Safari. I recently purchased a LAMY Joy for letter writing (1.5 nib) and am planning on a LAMY 2000 addition very very very soon (Perhaps as I am writing this). I have also purchased a vial of Bad Blue Heron from noodlers ( a super counterfeit proof blue ink). It is economical, distinct, fun, new (even though it is old), and a relatively pain free. It is not just a hobby but more a practicality of a function of life.

Edited by Biology

When I was between three and six months old, as did most of my brothers and sisters. I literally teethed on fountain pens.

Mom had a 1941 Parker "51" with a Sterling silver cap and she says that she would put the cap on her finger and let me chew on it when I was teething.

I remember seeing her do that with my younger brothers and sisters but I'm pretty sure that the assertion I did it is apocryphal. After all, first born sons are perfect and would never do anything like that.

http://www.fototime.com/88BDC37701598D8/large.jpg

My Website

Sometime last semester. Started small (bottle of Noodlers and the free Preppy it came with), have been escalating steadily ever since then. :-) I've also gotten my older brother, manfriend, and father started on fountain pens during that time. I'm in grad school, so I don't have the same amount of money to throw at this hobby as other people, but I also make a lot of sacrifices to have funds to spend on my hobbies (no cable tv, little to no eating out, almost no driving, etc).

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

I just started into fountain pens a few years ago. My father worked for AT&T back in the day and I always remembered playing with his black Esterbrook Bell System Property pen in the early 70's. Because of that I had to find and restore one for my collection. It looks brand new now.

Mike

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

I had a bunch of the Sheaffer calligraphy pens in middle school that I used to write with, and then picked up a horrible Pental fountain pen that never truly worked. I picked up fountain pens again in my junior year of undergrad in 2007, starting with a Pelikan Junior, than two Lamy Safaris that I used for lecture notes, and now onto 30 or so different pens, most of them Esties, and vintage.

Edited by JakobS

FP Ink Orphanage-Is an ink not working with your pens, not the color you're looking for, is never to see the light of day again?!! If this is you, and the ink is in fine condition otherwise, don't dump it down the sink, or throw it into the trash, send it to me (payment can be negotiated), and I will provide it a nice safe home with love, and a decent meal of paper! Please PM me!<span style='color: #000080'>For Sale:</span> TBA

I have posted this before, but will again because it brings back wonderful memories ....

When I was very young, I would sit at my grandmother's big roll top desk in front of the bay windows looking out over the Sound. There was a drawer full of fountain pens and she'd give me stack of paper and I would "write". Actually, I scribbled, as I couldn't write a that time. Of course, I was someone very important sitting at that big desk with all those beautiful pens. The only rules were ... don't press hard and if they ran out of ink, she would refill them. I was not to touch the ink bottles.

I always remembered that drawer full of fountain pens ... all the beautiful shiny pens, so when I saw a fountain pen in a drug store back in the late 70's, I grabbed it! At the time, I thought that nearly $5 was a horrendous price to pay, but I paid it ... I paid it for the wonderful memories.

Used to buy myself a new Waterman Laureat or Hemisphere every year. But that wasn't really collecting...

Then a couple of years ago, visiteda pen show, discovered vintage German piston fillers, got the bug. 300 or so pens later... I have got it bad.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/