My first MontBlanc

s_t_e_v_e

Hey guys!!!!

I'm planning to add a MontBlanc to my collection.......... but am not able to decide which one I should go for. I wouldn't be looking out for a very expensive one. A simple one will do to start off with. But am confused......... starwalker, boheme, meisterstruck or something else???????

Please help me out.......... unsure.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kenny

• marklavar

• georges zaslavsky

• s_t_e_v_e

The 149 is a great pen, but two cautions:

1. It's a huge pen, and for this reason won't suit everyone

2. It's not the least expensive of the MB range

Smaller than the 149 in the Meisterstuck range is the 146 and smaller than that the 145, also called the Chopin. I'd try all three of them to see which is most comfortable for your hand.

That said, consider whether the traditional styling of the Meisterstuck range suits you aesthetically, or whether the more individual styling of the others you mention is more to your taste.

In your search for economy, though, don't be tempted to buy your first MB from an unknown source, because there are more counterfeit MBs than there are of any other brand. Probably 80% of all MBs listed on eBay are fakes. MB requires that authorised dealers do not show prices of MB pens online.

For your first foray I would strongly suggest you go to a reputable store and try the full range if you can.

Ray

the 149, it is a big and comfortable pen. Great nib and great reliability.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

QUOTE (s_t_e_v_e @ Feb 22 2007, 10:56 AM)
Hey guys!!!!
I'm planning to add a MontBlanc to my collection.......... but am not able to decide which one I should go for. I wouldn't be looking out for a very expensive one. A simple one will do to start off with. But am confused......... starwalker, boheme, meisterstruck or something else???????
Please help me out.......... unsure.gif

If you're new to MB I would suggest a Starwalker. It's a good pen and doesn't cost as much as a 146 or 149. Go for it!

My first MB was the Boheme. You might consider that as well.

What are your desires/needs in a fountain pen?

Do you travel a lot, or use it in situations where you'd want to be using cartridge? If so, then a 149 or 146 might not get a lot of use from you, but a Starwalker or Boheme might.

Do you insist on using bottled ink? Are you operating under budget constraints? Do you prefer a big pen or a small one?

These are the kinds of questions you might ask yourself.

Hey guys thanks for ur replies......... I think will be going either for a 146 or a starwalker. Can any one tell me how much each of these may cost in the US?? Also how much does a behome black resin fountain pen cost???

Since i have never used a gold nib I would like to know the major function or rather performance related differences between gold and steel nibs.......

Thanks a million for your inputs!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif

Retail prices can be easily found on-line. All Montblanc pens in the curren6t collection have gold nibs. I believe the main use is for aesthetic durability combined with softness and a little inherent spring.

I recommend travelling to your local outlet to decide properly, the characteristics of the three pens mentioned are very divergent.

Guest itsnotme

QUOTE (rimmerjar @ Feb 23 2007, 07:24 PM)
Retail prices can be easily found on-line.

Are you sure about that - I thought that all "genuine" Mont Blanc dealers have been told not to display prices in online adverts.

It's threads like these that make me wonder if I acquired the right pen. I suppose it can be said that Montblanc is a victim of their own success...

QUOTE (s_t_e_v_e @ Feb 23 2007, 02:11 PM)
Hey guys thanks for ur replies......... I think will be going either for a 146 or a starwalker. Can any one tell me how much each of these may cost in the US?? Also how much does a behome black resin fountain pen cost???

Since i have never used a gold nib I would like to know the major function or rather performance related differences between gold and steel nibs.......

I don't know the price of the Starwalker or 146. I know that the Bohemes bouth in a MB Boutique were selling for about $470 at the end of last year, but I think prices may have increased after the first of the year.

I think you can sometimes get better deals online. However, I would still suggest checking out the price that the MB Boutiques charge. That way, if a pen that normally sells for $450 is being offered for $200, your "counterfeit pen" radar might go off.

QUOTE (s_t_e_v_e @ Feb 23 2007, 02:11 PM)

In very very general terms, all other things being equal, gold nibs would be more flexible and ought to give a better writing experience. That having been said, I'm sure we all know some very poorly made gold nibs that were basically worthless, and have used some steel nibs that rivalled or exceeded many gold nibs in performance.

The overlap is enough that I would focus on individual pen/model characteristics rather than a blanket preference for one nib type over another.

QUOTE (jd50ae @ Feb 24 2007, 03:56 PM)
A Pelikan.

There are many brands that some people would prefer, or feel give better value, than MontBlanc. For example, although I am a MontBlanc fan, I certainly like my OMAS and Sailor and some of my Scheaffers more than some of my MBs. I wouldn't count my Pelikan as one of those that surpass my MBs, however. It's just my opinion; I know there are those that swear by Pelikan, but I am not one of them.

QUOTE (kenny @ Feb 24 2007, 03:20 PM)
QUOTE (jd50ae @ Feb 24 2007, 03:56 PM)
A Pelikan.

It's just my opinion; I know there are those that swear by Pelikan, but I am not one of them.

AMEN!

I own a pelikan 800, a vac , a duofold, a sheaffer and an omas. Each pen has its qualities. I am montblanc fan but I am also a fan of other fine brands.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 1 month later...

Last week I bought a Starwalker. It is the 100 year special edition. It has a rhodium plated gold nib (18K). A diamond in the cap substitutes the Montblanch emblem. The diamond has in fact the shape of the Montblanc emblem, which I personally find to be a very nice detail.

More about the pen here: http://www.stylophilesonline.com/05-06/05mod.htm

Regards,

Werner Vesterås

Oslo, Norway

At the risk of going out on a limb, Im going to say, not just a 146, but a stainless 146-- the plain mirror finish version. I have never felt a pen so with such tactile appeal.

Plus, its a little different, without being blingy, and no worries about knocking it about.

Retail prices can be easily found on-line.

To clarify this statement - Genuine Mont Blanc Dealers are not allowed to advertise prices online, however they will gladly send you quotations via email. I suggest emailing several known dealers for pricin to get an idea of the ranges available.

I just purchased a 146 from ebay yesterday and am very anxious to get it!