The Pen That Makes You Want To Just Write

VladDracule

I'm going to be posting 2 threads in very quick succession. Both of them stating very opposing feelings that i have regarding fountain pens.

The first is positive. The second, is negative linked below:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/259920-have-frustrating-experiences-made-you-want-to-quit-fountain-pens/

I recently bought a Pilot Namiki Falcon with John Mottishaws Spencerian customization. All I can say about the nib is...WOW.

I will start off by saying my writing leaves ALOT to be desired. My writing technique is poor, my grip is poor, my letter forms are overall probably pretty poor, and I have no clue how to correct any of it. Ive watched videos and seen drawings of grip, but its next to impossible to translate it to actual use without someone hands on showing me.

The Falcon I just received, is one pen in my collection that just...calls me to write with it. It is one In my collection of 18 pens that may remain inked 100% of the time because it just makes me WANT to write, makes me WANT to use it. The other pens...not so much, even as nice of pens i have (2 nakaya's, Montblanc 149) they dont make me want to use them, the dont make me want to just write the same way that this pen does. Its probably the only pen i have that actually makes my handwriting look decent.

Here is a sample, i will note i have pretty much 0 experience in writing with a flex nib so i basically make it up as i go along

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e395/VladDracule/20140128_124646.jpg

So sound off FPN! What pen in your collection just makes you want to reach for it and use it for no real reason at all?

Edited by VladDracule

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jameswatts

• richardandtracy

• Anirban4u

• Medsen Fey

I know just how you feel. even though my handwriting isn't great and I am horrible with a flex pen, I just have to have my Noodler’s Ahab inked up all the time. It make writing even the most mundane things fun, I just hate to have to put it down.

I have just a few in my rotation:

Lamy 2000,

Waterman Carene,

Pilot VP

Parker 45 and 51

Platinum Preppy loaded with Bay State Blue

Sheaffer Prelude & Balance II

Mont Blanc Chopin

The Pilot VP Fine is the one that screams to me to write hard the most. The Lamy 2000 X-Fine comes in a very close second and is very art deco minimalist. The rest come in a very close third. Depending of the day and the paper any of these can float to the top as pen du jour. The Prelude has the smoothest nib. The Preppy is the most slutty. The Parkers are just light to the touch and smooth writers. The Mont Blanc is just plain stogy. The Waterman Carene is very classy and weighty. The Balance II is just old fashion. And all are just wonderful writers with their unique writing personalities.

Avatar painting by William-Adolphe Bouguereau (1825 - 1905) titled La leçon difficile (The difficult lesson)

At the risk of repeating myself - the Italix Parson's Essential. It looks nice, has a nice weight to it and just glides across the page laying down a nice line. No scratchiness at all, which is what I get from cheaper pens.

@VladDracule - is that Diamine Marine? Lovely writing sample; as another person who feels their handwriting doesn't make the grade here, I really love what that nib's doing for you.

I love my Lamy 2000, though I do not find it especially pleasant to use it on the affordable notepads I use for school. On halfway decent paper it's a dream. Like Bo Bo says, writing is 1/3 nib, 1/3 paper, and 1/3 ink.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

Parker 51's. I have three Aeros and three vacs. They ae shear pleasure.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Definitely my Pelikan M101N lizard with an EF nib.

and recently my newly acquired OF nib from the 30's. both just make me want to write pages upon pages.

My self modded (flex-my-mod) Ahab. My TWSBI 540s with the Bock nibs, my Parson's Itaix.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

My Homo Sapiens has inspired me to doodle away many millilitres of ink. I have a bad habit of keeping my journals and pens close to my bed, and I will sometimes compulsively grab the pen and start writing random words from a movie while I'm watching it on my laptop. I can't be the only one that does something like this...

“I say, if your knees aren’t green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”-Calvin

Sailor Pro Gear with a bi-color M nib and Noodler's Dark Matter.

Walk in shadow / Walk in dread / Loosefish walk / As Like one dead

I don't know if I could limit it to just one. There are several of my Noodler's pens that I adore. I also really love both of my Pilots (a Custom 823 and a Justus 95). Honestly, I just want to write. I've had a few pens I hate, but mostly I've had really good luck with fountain pens. Most of the ones I don't use are merely ones which I'm indifferent to.

At the moment, my personal favorite is my Pilot Justus 95.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Sheaffer Imperial Sterling Silver with TD filler. Sheaffer just makes such pleasurable EF nibs. Other brand EF nibs I've used thus far falls a bit short. Perhaps its that little upturned end of the nib that makes it so pleasurable to write with.

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

I have a Parker 61 that...

Well, let's just say the act of writing with it is just so pleasurable I loose the thread of what I'm writing about. It has an absolutely perfect feedback level, it feels so light and is simply gorgeous to use.

The problem is that I dissolve into gibberish when writing with it, because I stop concentrating on the content of what I write. As a result I don't use it often.

Regards,

Richard.

I was overwhelmed by the whim of writing with a pen a day or two before. I wrote and took a snap. But was too shy to share here. :blush:

Thanks to OP, I just might do :D.

post-108404-0-35453200-1390988049_thumb.jpg

couldn't resist this snap. Sorry :D

post-108404-0-01259900-1390988209_thumb.jpg

Opensuse_2.png http://www.gnu.org/graphics/gnubanner-2.png

Looking for: Camlin pens (minus SD/Trinity/Elegante)