Suggestions On A Purple Ink Please!

MikeyW

+1 for MontBlanc Lavender Purple and Yama Budo for reddish purple.

J. Herbin Violent Pensee for "true purple" that I think of.

I couldn't agree more :)!

Fav. PensMB 146, Pilot Falcon, TWSBI VAC 700.

Fav. Inks:  Pilot Iroshizuku Yama Budo & Yama Guri; Diamine Syrah, Oxblood & Eclipse; J. Herbin Rouge Hematite & Vert Reseda; Noodler's Black, Red Black & Zhivago.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• carlos.q

• Runnin_Ute

• haziz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only purple is Waterman Tender Purple which I actually just bought, but it's quite nice. Pretty much just straight up purple.

Or you could go down the mixing route. Just mixed J. Herbin éclat de saphir with rouge caroubier ( 2:1 ratio ) and it gets you a purple that I quite like ( fairly dark but still recognizable as purple )
Or just go and get yourself some J Herbin Violette pensee ( I'm a sucker for J Herbin inks )

My favorites in the "not bright" violet/purple category are Noodler's Purple Wampum (a bit grayed violet) and Nightshade (almost brown/black but with distinct purple cast. In a drier writing pen Nightshade can become almost a wine color. For me both are very well behaved and have cause zero problems after 4+ years of use in multiple pens.

J. Herbin Poussiere de Lune, and Diamine Damson are both great purple inks.

"Luxe, calme et volupte"

Akkerman Simplisties Violet (#13) is very nice...

I agree! A penpal sent me a letter written in this ink, using a pretty broad nib and it was quite impressive. I recently bought a bottle myself, using it with a much finer nib and the results are pleasing. Stands out a bit, but I feel it can easily be used for note-taking at the office, for instance.

journaling / tinkering with pens / sailing / photography / software development

Pelikan Violet.

Waterman Purple.

J. Herbin Violette Pensee.

Pilot Purple.

Montblanc Violet.

Pilot Purple? :yikes:

Where can I get Pilot Purple??? :puddle:

I have it in cartridges. Got it from Jetpens. I believe Goulets also carries them.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Namiki-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Cartridge-Purple-Set-of-6/pd/1390

I am not sure if it is available in the US (or elsewhere) in bottles. A cartridge is now happily residing in one of my Pilot Metropolitans. I am just a satisfied customer of Jetpens.

Edited by haziz

I have it in cartridges. Got it from Jetpens. I believe Goulets also carries them.

http://www.jetpens.com/Pilot-Namiki-Fountain-Pen-Ink-Cartridge-Purple-Set-of-6/pd/1390

I am not sure if it is available in the US (or elsewhere) in bottles. A cartridge is now happily residing in one of my Pilot Metropolitans. I am just a satisfied customer of Jetpens.

Dang! I thought there was a new Pilot Purple in a bottle, like their blue and blue-black... :gaah:

Someone earlier suggested Diamine Grape for a dark purple. I just put a sample into a couple of pens, and will agree it's very dark. You could miss that it's purple. OTOH, it remains purple even in a fine nib, and makes a nice dark text which will remain readable. It's too dark for my tastes - I want a purple ink to be clearly purple, and this is almost into indigo. VERY dark, at least in my pens.

Yay, ink samples! :)

--

Lou Erickson - Handwritten Blog Posts

For those interested in a purple ink and the properties of iron gall ink: I would suggest Rohrer&Klingner Scabiosa or if you want a higher concentration of the permanent IG-body then my home-brewed Purpura Imperialis would be a good alternative. It darkens into an almost velvety black with a purple hue.with wet pens.

For those interested in a purple ink and the properties of iron gall ink: I would suggest Rohrer&Klingner Scabiosa or if you want a higher concentration of the permanent IG-body then my home-brewed Purpura Imperialis would be a good alternative. It darkens into an almost velvety black with a purple hue.with wet pens.

Pharmacist's Purpura Imperialis is just fantastic and I can highly recommend it.

Not an 'in your face' purple but subtle and mysterious.

La Reine Mauve...I just happen to be using it today in a Pilot Falcon, with SEF nib. Really great flow and very nice in an EF nib.

La Reine Mauve is a rich purple that dries with a slightly chalky look, but it does not fade or bleach. It looks great on a variety of papers including the cheap stuff at the office.

Recently my favorite purple ink has become Conway Stewart Edgcumbe. It's a bit different than any Diamine color (by whom it is made) and has great flow in my Conway Stewart pens. A bit of shading as well. I got it on sale online at Bertram's Inkwell.

My small purple collection:

Private Reserve Plum
J. Hebrin Poussiere de Lune
Noodler's Kung Te-Cheng
Diamine Majestic Purple
Noodler's Nightshade
Noodler's North African Violet
Rohrer & Klingner Cassia
Diamine Majestic Purple
Noodler's Purple Heart
Pilot Iroshizuku Murasaki-shikibu - Japanese Beautyberry
Scribal Work Shop Nessie
Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa
De Atramentis Aubergine
Monteverde Purple Heart
Private Reserve Ebony Purple
Diamine Bilberry
Private Reserve Tanzanite
Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire

Change is not mandatory, Survival is not required.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned any of the Herbin inks yet. My personal favourite of theirs is Violette Pensee - beautiful flow and shading but probably not as deep as some others that have been mentioned. I also like Diamine Lavender and Imperial Purple. I've also tried Monteverde Purple but found that to be veering towards a deep pink almost!

+1 for J Herbin's Violette Pensée. In my Visconti Rembrandt Calligraphy fine nib (0.5 italic), it comes across quite deep, but still bright, if that makes sense. I just love the look of my writing with this ink and pen combination. I hope that the scan does it justice.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2837/13048205554_c788c90182_o.jpg