• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• robynsnest

• Ayla

• Oliver.A

• JPR75

You developed this website?
It looks fantastic. I may print out a few worksheets myself!
Although I believe handwriting should be unique to every person, it's still nice to have a base ;)
I also see you're new here as well, so welcome :)

“My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain.

My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course.

Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane.” - Graham Greene

A nice looking site, but I was taken aback by a quote," It's always the simple that produces the marvellous." To my mind this is a quote better appied to italic handwriting. Your exemplar alphabet is better suited to calligraphy rather than the sort of handwritng that one can use for legibility and speed, for efficient fluency. If web sites are allowed here, I offer another that I believe better addresses the inquiries of some in this group: www.bfhhandwriting.com

This is just what I've been looking for! Thank you!
And maybe I'm wrong, but I've always preferred cursive to italic, it never worked right for my hand, so this is perfect.

You developed this website?

It looks fantastic. I may print out a few worksheets myself!

Although I believe handwriting should be unique to every person, it's still nice to have a base ;)

I also see you're new here as well, so welcome :)

Yes I did.

When I decided to improve my handwriting, I looked throught many different styles and developed the one you see on the site. I practiced letters and different exercise drills and it helped me. At the end i decided to put all the learning material I developed for myself into one organized resource and share it, hence www.loopsandtails.com

I also agree with you that handwriting is unique ti every person, but the base is pretty much the same. Loops and tails give a lot of uniqniess. :)

Print alphabet is also coming up later.

Thanks all for warm responses, I hope the site will help you with your handwriting improvement

Cheers!

Re:

A nice looking site, but I was taken aback by a quote," It's always the simple that produces the marvellous." To my mind this is a quote better appied to italic handwriting. Your exemplar alphabet is better suited to calligraphy rather than the sort of handwritng that one can use for legibility and speed, for efficient fluency. If web sites are allowed here, I offer another that I believe better addresses the inquiries of some in this group: www.bfhhandwriting.com

I'm with you on that, Nanny. Furthermore, I couldn't help noticing that the cursive capital "J" on the loopsandtails.com site — in the chart at http://www.loopsandtails.com/practice-alphabet/cursive-handwriting-practice/ — is identical with what was taught (at one school I attended) for cursive "T," which in turn was the same as what the next school I attended taught for cursive "F."

<span style='font-size: 18px;'><em class='bbc'><strong class='bbc'><span style='font-family: Palatino Linotype'> <br><b><i><a href="http://pen.guide" target="_blank">Check out THE PEN THAT TEACHES HANDWRITING </a></span></strong></em></span></a><br><br><br><a href="

target="_blank">Video of the SuperStyluScripTipTastic Pen in action

Thank you! I've been wanting to improve my handwriting for some time. What can I do about the Vulcan death grip I have? I try to relax my hold but I find my hand gripping tighter and tighter.

I love the look of the site and the quantity of resource on there is amazing. I look forward to really diving in to the examples and videos.

I'd get rid of most of the "why handwriting" stuff, though. It's a strange mix of white, male, upper-class, Western privilege and graphology rubbish. It would be much nicer to concentrate more on "good handwriting is a lovely skill to have" rather than trying to pad it out in pseudo-science.

I would love to see some worksheets with the Dolch words on them for practice. Is that possible? I am already printing off sheets and utilizing your site. It's great. Thank you.

Very nice site! Just what I've been looking for. I thing my handwriting is plain and a little boring, and have been wanting to develop better skills for quite a while. Thanks!

LBj

Favorite of the day: Nakaya Naka-ai Heki tame.

The modern way of life, full of computers, keyboards and technology in general, made us forget basic and important things such as handwriting.

It's time to rediscover lost arts, lost habits and find time for ourselves,to do things that makes us happy ,and go slow in a crazy world that's running with the speed of light.

Slow, like the way we write with our beloved fountain pen.

Excellent work, thank you.

Edited by Panos_S

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting site. :thumbup: Thank you.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

• 4 weeks later...

The great thing about cursive is that one can pick and choose every letter from this or other cursive alphabets exemplars available on The Fountain Pen Network.

I also vehemently disagree with the fact that italic is better suited than cursive for everyday writing.

I have written lessons, essays, exams, letters, everyday notes, grocery lists and other information in cursive since I was a little girl, in elementary school.

I find italic to be the equivalent of basic computer fonts, for those I can use my keyboard.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

I'm not going to get into the italic versus cursive debate. Besides, this is a false distinction since italic can be cursive. (Or is it vice versa?) However, there are some important factual errors in the web site's "articles." A couple examples:

1) From what we know about motor and language development, "the earlier the better" for teaching handwriting is nonsense. There is an ideal time in each child's development to put together the motor and multi-sensory connections necessary for emergence of written language.

2) Beautiful handwriting was never "the skill of a gentleman." Historically, going back to classical Rome, the upper classes hired professional scribes and, later, secretaries to do their writing for them. As late as the early 20th century, those promoting good penmanship had to give reasoned arguments to convince elites that it was not declassé for their children to have beautiful handwriting. See, for example, Edward Johnston in the preface to "Writing & Illuminating & Lettering," pg. xii where he wrote in 1906 about "the old fashioned notion that a legible hand is a mark of bad breeding."

David