Just Received My First Nakaya

PenPat

Just wanting to say hello to everyone in this community. I am relatively new to fountain pens, having discovered the joy of using them a month ago with a Lamy Safari. I saw pictures of the Nakaya piccolo and couldn't resist. I placed an order with nibs.com and received it today (I hope the iPhone picture I attached can be seen). It is a Midori writer, with fine nib. I make a lot of notes on documents, so decided on a fine nib. I love it! The pen also fits perfectly on my medium to large hands.

The "problem" is I also sign documents and letters on a daily basis and the fine nib is a little too thin for signatures. I will use my Lamy Safari Medium for that purpose for now, until I can get another nice pen with a medium nib. Thanks for reading!

post-110190-0-71033000-1390516781_thumb.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenPat

• flyshot

• trax

• mk2579

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi penpat...FYI Japanese nibs generally run a size finer than their European counterparts. If you want a Japanese nib equal in width to your Lamy medium you would want to order a Japanese broad.

Not to worry though, since you've already been bitten, you have many Nakaya's in your future.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Thank you for the replies. My handwriting needs much improvement (especially after seeing the examples you have in the forum!), so I am going to have to polish my handwriting before getting the courage to provide a writing sample!

I initially got into fountain pens for a practical reason. I have a hand injury and found writing with a fountain pen a big help, as it allows me to write with very light pressure. John Mottishaw adjusted the fine nib for medium wet flow and smooth writing, with very light pressure. Exactly what I received -- Thank you John!

But now, this hobby is taking a life of its own. My office is near the MB boutique in Valley Fair, and I keep thinking of going there to get an MB 146 with medium nib. I am able to resist the urge so far by writing with the piccolo and checking the Nakaya website once in a while, reminding me how I love the relatively simple design.

I just ordered my first Nakaya also.

Congrats on your beautiful Nakaya!!!

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

Congratulations, PenPat. I hope you enjoy your new Piccolo as much as I am enjoying mine. (That's a lot!)

Have you chosen your next Nakaya yet, or are you still looking?

David

Hi David,

Next Nakaya will be another piccolo, this time in cigar configuration with broad or medium nib. Or a Naka-ai. I really like the shape of the piccolo and was only worried about the size. After reading your post about your experience, I got the courage to order one. I am so glad I did. I was pleasantly surprised that it is not that small when you are writing with it.

ありがとうございます!

Patrick

Congratulations and best wishes, but I now know that you are the person who beat me to that pen at nibs.com! :-)

I had been writing them for a few days and when I finally wrote back to buy the pen, it had been sold to you 30 minutes before!

Anyway, all ends well, as I decided to buy the mini decapod in Heki Tamenuri. Maybe Midori another time.

I bought another decapod just before the price shot up to $1400 for Ishime Kanshitsu .

Vam272, I am sorry for buying your pen :( But glad to hear you were able to get the mini decapod.

Midori was my first choice, but blue would have been fine. I am looking forward to seeing a pic of your mini decapod.

---Patrick

Lovely pen you have there. Do like the realistic title of this thread as you are honest to admit it wont be your last.....its ok though you are with liked minded people :)

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

Hi Patrick

Holding a Nakaya Urushi pen is quite a unique experience (well, it was for me). I only have three Nakayas (portable writers like yours) and they feel comfortable in a way I've not experienced even with other really lovely pens.

The Midori is a wonderful colour. I only have Tamenuri's, but otherwise I would choose either Black or Midori. I'm really pleased you like it. If you buy your next Nakaya (and you surely will buy another!) from John Mottishaw, you can get pretty well any nib size or shape you want, if you pay just a little extra for John to work on it. Also, though the run on the fine side, there is also the Double Broad nib which is a big jump from the Broad, as well as the Music Nib, which John could work on to your specifications. Either way, you can get just the nib you want.

Incidentally, I hope you realise that you're now doomed, to wander the by-lanes of life looking for Nakayas :D

All the best

Martin

Midori is the color I would choose for a Nakaya. This is the first time someone has posted one in that color, so thank you for sharing real-life pictures of the pen.

Hi Patrick,

How long was the wait on your Piccolo?

The more I drool over your Midori...the more I want one.

I just ordered my first Nakaya this week & I'm already looking for my next one.

Your pic didn't help any...thanks a lot ;-). Now I have to order a piccolo Midori.

Again congrats on your beautiful pen !!!!

Take Care,

Nan

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.". Matthew 4:19

Nan, I placed the order Monday morning, and received the pen Thursday afternoon! You should receive yours early next week. You will be very impressed.

Edited by PenPat

I have a $1600 Mont Blanc fancy gold pen of some sort with geometric diamond cuts and I don't use it at all. It is a beautiful pen. But I much prefer my Nakaya Naka-ai Ama-iro with a left oblique broad nib. Of course, I stopped with one Mont Blanc. I've since acquire several Nakayas. They are wonderful pens and are really fun to use. So use your Nakaya for a few days and then browse the Mont Blanc boutique. Your checkbook will thank you until you get the itch for your next Nakaya!!

Beautiful piccolo, and great to see a Midori colored pen, been wanting to see pics of these :)

If you take care of the minutes, the years will take care of themselves. -Tibetan saying.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 year later...

Nice pen and nice review. I too have a Picollo, but in Ama-iro.

I'm confused about the midori colour though because on some websites I've seen "midori" decapods and even a piccolo, but its not this colour. Its a very bright green (illuminous) and only appears at the seams, as with the now discontinued Ao-tamenuri.

Has anyone else seen this pen? Would be good to compare it to this Picolo midori.