Stipula Speed Fountain Pen

Tadeusz

Does anyone have this pen? I am unable to find reviews on it, but it seems to be on sale at a certain place. It is a piston filler with an innovative design, but I don't know much about the pen or how it functions.

Does anyone have one of these that they would post about? Doesn't need to be a full review or anything, just a summary or quick snippet of your opinion on the pen: smoothness, ease of use, etc.

Thanks!

Tadeusz

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheGreatRoe

• Chi Town

• StephY

• amberleadavis

I can give you some information in a few days. Not 2 hours ago I ordered one of these with the italic nib. $90 for a piston filler with an italic nib? I took a chance...

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

I'm in the same boat, I just ordered a White one with the .9 italic nib. Hopefully I'll see it by early next week.......A friend just rec'd his in Orange and I have heard not good things about how it came out of the box nib wise. It would not write at all......It took some adjusting on his part to get it to write. Hopefully we will see his review right here on FPN?

.......A friend just rec'd his in Orange and I have heard not good things about how it came out of the box nib wise. It would not write at all.....

Where were you 4 hours ago? :headsmack:

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

I've seen other Stipulas that didn't write well out of the box.. but I too would love to hear more about this pen (and see some photos), I saw it on FPH and almost got one for Mrs. Pentulant but was worried about the plasticky looking body.

I got mine about an hour ago. I'll do a review after a week or two of use, but I thought since there'd been some discussion I'd give my first impression.

The pen itself has a really unique styling--it looks like it belongs in those old sci-fi posters from the 50s and 60s. If you ever saw the movie The Rocketeer....this pen would fit in just great.

It cannot post at all. The cap will not slide onto the back. The cap posts with a magnet, but it has 2 tabs and grooves that control how the cap goes on.

It's small. Not like the Stipula Passaporto but a small regular sized pen. Closed 136mm Open 118mm Diameter 13.5 mm at it's widest.

This pen doesn't have a traditional section. There's a thinner part down by the nib, but it's not a separate section and it's not straight all the way around the barrel. Some people aren't going to like this grip, and it's the reason I haven't inked the pen yet. I'm trying to decide if I'm ok with the grip or if I should return the pen.

Is there any way to access the converter? I have seen a video on YouTube and it does not show that you can access it? I mean what if you have a problem in there and need to get in there to cLean it out or worse take it out, what do you do?

Edited by Chi Town

Is there any way to access the converter? I have seen a video on YouTube and it does not show that you can access it? I mean what if you have a problem in there and need to get in there to cLean it out or worse take it out, what do you do?

It's sold as a Piston fill, so as far as I know there is no converter (unless it's a permanently installed converter). I haven't tried to take out the nib to see if it can be cleaned that way.

Well, so far I am extremely displeased with the Speed. Mine is a medium nib black model, and a more recalcitrant pen I've never seen. It will write, for about half a page, immediately after it has been filled, but put it aside for any length of time and nothing will get the ink to flow. Made the mistake of shaking it, and ended up nearly ruining a perfectly good shirt with spots of Edelstein Aventurine.

I should have known better -- the only other Stipula pens I've owned have been equally stingy when it comes to ink flow, to the point that I hardly if ever use them. I fear the Speed will be joining that Hall of Ignominy soon....

I sent mine back uninked. Overall it just felt cheap, but the deciding factor for me was the weird grip section--uncomfortable to hold.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for saving me!

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

I just bought this pen with a 0.9mm italic nib last week. It's now inked up for its test run. It's a dry writer for sure, but I seem to have lucked out with one that will write more than half a page. I'll come back and post more about the writing experience after more letters.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

We'd love to see some pictures. I was excited when I got the ad, but my last stipula was a dry writer and I ended up giving it away because it was too frustrating. I look forward to hearing about your experience.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 2 weeks later...

I've used the Speed everyday since 2/22. Like I mentioned above, I didn't have one of the more stubborn ones. The pen does sometimes hesitate on an upstroke when it starts, or if it has been left nib up for overnight. But once it does, it writes on without issue.

I did need tweek the nib a bit (lifting the tines) to increase flow, but it didn't take long to get it there. It will never be mistaken for a wet writer, but it has performed for me. I wrote many an Incrowrimo letters and postcards with it. I think this is one of those pens where ink pairing matters. The first load in this pen was a Kobe Lapis (Sailor made ink). The second was Diamine Graphite. I think it starts easier with the Diamine ink. The 0.9mm italic nib gives good line variation, and the writing experience does not feel stiff.

In the hand, it won't feel like celluloid or hard rubber, but the plastic does not bother me and I'm really taken with its styling. I don't post, so that was not a deal-breaker for me. The section may bother some, especially if you hold the pen higher and your index finger ends up hitting the nubbin of straw that is the Stipula symbol. My index finger hits the lower part of the section, so it's pretty comfortable for me. I like the convenience of the slip cap.

One slightly annoying thing I noticed was that one has to clean the silver-grooved section very well after inking the pen, or else ink stays in the grooves and dries there.

Over all, I'm enjoying the Speed and it's been a good one to tuck into my pocket. I may eventually think about taking it to a nibmeister at a show, but I don't feel like I absolutely have to to get this pen performing.

Photos to follow.

Looking for an Omas Arco Verde...the one that got away.

• 5 weeks later...

i have one and it would not write initially. I saw that the tines were too close together and so I pushed the top of the nib to open them up. It now writes really great (it is a stub) and starts every time. It actually does post as well, but it doesnt feel like it since the plastic seems too tight. It is flexible so you can get it to post.

After my changes I like the pen a lot. You should not have to do this though.

the Danitrio Fellowship

• 4 months later...

Apologies for resurrecting this thread - I've just cleaned and stored away my Stipula Speed. Thing is it didn't want to fill - no way no how. I unscrewed the nib and once I'd eyedropper filled it the pen was superb. Don't know why the filler won't do the job but it did cross my mind that maybe some other Stipula pens might use the same nib - any thoughts.

Great stub nib when it works but it's that when it works that's the issue for me.

Again apologies for opening up an old thread.

R

• 2 months later...

You know, I just hated this pen. I went through two of them before I realized it wasn't just me. I thought the nib on the first one was broken because it wouldn't write at all. And then I broke the piston by twisting it too hard. So, I sent it back.

The next one would only wrote for half a page before giving out of ink. Then, in an attempt to clean and re-fill it, I broke the second piston and the pen came apart in my hands. I sent that one back, too.

I found the whole experience so irritating and disappointing that I actually came back here to the forum to see if anyone else had the same experience with their Stipula Speed. It just seemed so shoddy.

It did make me decide I wanted an orange and chrome pen, though, so I ordered a Sailor Reglus and I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

I like the design but I have tried three of them . One didn't fill ,the two others are slow starters and have terrible ink flow.A waste of money and time.