Diamine: Midnight Or Majestic Blue And Why?

Darqest

I am a student who wants a dark blue to use on a regular basis. If I had to pick one or the other (not both, restricted financially), which one should I go for?

I will use it on cheap papers so they will not be the best quality. Also I would like it to be low maintenance!

Which one do you prefer and why?

I wanted to have a poll but I don't have enough posts to be able to do that :(

Please tell me your choice! Even if you only comment "Midnight", that would be fine. Any further explanations as to why you picked your choice would be very helpful!

Thanks again,

Kev

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• minddance

• lapis

• sansenri

Personally, I prefer the darker, richer blue of the Midnight. Both inks behave beautifully in my experience, and both are fairly well-behaved on lesser paper.

Both also have that reddish sheen. I have both, but Midnight is one of my Indispensables. Like writing with velvet.

Majestic is nice too, but can have flow issues.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I personally chose Midnight (I've never used Majestic before) for school purposes as well. I use it for taking notes, writing drafts etc.

It's one of my favorite inks. It has a very rich, velvety tone and the shading is fabulous for a dark ink. I usually use it in my Noodler's Nib Creaper Flex, which amplifies the aforementioned qualities.

However, I discovered that this type of ink (perhaps the combination of the ink with a flex pen) tends to bleed through cheap notebook paper as well as regular copy paper (though not as much). I would recommend instead one of Noodler's Bulletproof/Eternal inks.

Edit: Midnight is also one of those inks that take longer to dry, but apparently that is true as well with Majestic. One ink that hasn't given me trouble with this is (surprisingly) Noodler's Apache Sunset, which is very well behaved overall but will not do well on "glossy" papers like those in Clairefontaine notebooks.

Edited by Mineralogy

I like them both, but both are none of my favourites. Midnight is darker, almost a blue-black, say a blue-grey. Majestic has too much a hint of green. Both take a long time to dry, Majestic especially... here I often need to use a blotter.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Diamine Denim might be a nice choice for you. It is a dark blue, very little shading ink, that dries quickly and looks good on any notebook paper. Another choice might be Diamine Kensington Blue. It is a bit lighter than Denim, but none the less works well with any pen, dries quickly, no shading, looks good.

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

Midnight.

Majestic takes longer to dry and after drying it still smears (sometimes). But Majestic has a nicer sheen.

In the end I settled for PR DC Electric Blue... but still use the Diamines occasionally.

Edited by mirosc

Greetings,

Michael

For an allround "perfect" blue -- not too light, not too dark, good drying time, good flow, best maintenance, and, above all, available everywhere and that at a "decent" price -- I'd stick to Montblanc's Royal Blue or Visconti's or Aurora's Blue.

Mike

Hi

If you want a blue black and obviously favor Diamine then don't forget their Blue Black, that's a nice dark blue.

Paul

Another vote for Aurora Blue--but, given the price and bottle volume differentials, Diamine Midnight is a sensible choice.

Majestic! I like Majestic a lot and bought Midnight because it's supposed to behave better. And it really is a tiny bit better, technically. But to me, Majestic is simply a lot prettier and will therefore always be my favorite ink of these two - and one of my favorite inks in general.

Paul mentioned Diamine Blue Black. This is an ink I've used a lot for reviews and tests, lately. It's one of the very few blue-black inks I like. But unfortunately, it doesn't behave well in dry pens, and if I don't use a pen loaded with DBB for two days or so, it's giving me a very hard time to get the pen started again. But it's pretty good in wet daily writers.

Hate to add any confusion, but have you taken a look at Diamine Twilight Blue?

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Well, if you really want to go all the way, then get their Eclipse. One of my favourites of all of my inks.

• 4 years later...

I am very much in accordance with Lapis

Majestic is too green (not that much, but of all the blue inks I have tried certainly it is one which leans towards that shade, although still being blue).

Saturation is very nice, but it does dry out in pens and tends to be sticky ( a mild 10:1 dilution can help).

I have not tried Midnigh but it's on my list!

for a fuss free blue, still reasonably dark, I would also go to Visconti, Aurora or Montblanc royal, although these lean very slightly to purple.

My standard true blue is Waterman Serenity.

Private reserve Electric DC is a very nice colour, neutral and higly saturated, but it's not fuss free, tends to dry up.

Same for Diamine Sargasso Sea, which is even darker.

J: Herbin Bleu Nuit is a very nice dark blue and has given me no problems.

I've never tried Majestic, but Midnight is one of my favourite "basic" inks. It works well in every pen I've tried it with so far.

"Life would split asunder without letters." Virginia Woolf

Herbin is my go-to ink for super-irritating dry pens like my Pilots and Platinums to make them, at least, write.

+1 for Bleu Nuit. Fill up the pen, and enjoy as the night dives deeper and deeper with time. Herbins are all shade masters, with endless nuances.

I am interested in Diamine midnight too, after reading that it is a 'laxative', precisely what I need.

Inks must flow.

(Edited for typo)

Edited by minddance

For those of you who use Pigna notebooks (very popular brand in Italy and neighborhood), Diamine Midnight should NOT be your school ink, because it feathers and bleeds through badly. And my bottle stinks so much, but maybe that's an exception..

fpn_1518947328__diamine_010_midnight_pig

fpn_1518947893__diamine_010_midnight_pig

Be smart and use Pelikan 4001 Blau-Schwarz.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Between Midnight and Majestic I would rather write with Majestic.

On your "cheap" papers Majestic won't exhibit any extended dry times, and might write with a slightly crisper line.