What Is Your Favourite Italian Fountain Pen

Albinoni

im trying to get a good deal on omas 360 and a paragon :P no bites on the hook

'The Yo-Yo maneuver is very difficult to explain. It was first perfected by the well-known Chinese fighter pilot Yo-Yo Noritake. He also found it difficult to explain, being quite devoid of English.

So we left it at that. He showed us the maneuver after a sort. B*****d stole my kill.'

-Squadron Leader K. G. Holland, RAF. WWII China.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• como

• biancitwo

• Ceelo

• raging.dragon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Omas, Stipula, Montegrappa and Nettuno

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have more than a half dozen of montegrappa pens, yes, the majority of which are 300s...

I also have a sterling aurora 88.

Have to say, montegrappa makes smoother nib.

I am also looking for Omas and visconti pens. Have to admit, visconti really makes some most beautiful pens I have ever seen.

I only have one, an Aurora 88P, no serial number, hard rubber section. Writes nicely, but I am wondering if it is possible to grind the nib into a small CI. Anyone done that with an 88 nib?

• 3 years later...

Happened across this thread while browsing for something else, and thought it worth reviving.

I love all my Italian pens other than a supposedly SAFIS unbranded thing which is rubbish.

Moderns are the Aurora 88, Santini, then Aurora Optima and Ancora.

Older pens are hard to rank because they seem a little more differentiated. There are the Aurora 88 variants of course (88, 88K, 88P) of which I have many but with their closed nib design they are simply different from wonderful pens like the Columbus Extra 138, Tabo CO and V, and some Omas sampled from three decades. I think I might have to look out for a Tibaldi, given some comments above.

X

I'm new to Italian pens, but I sure love my Aurora Optima after a couple of months of use.

I prefer fine nibs, but finding a smooth XF is problematic. My Aurora's XF is very smooth, wet, and very comfortable over hours of use. So far, it has been completely non-fussy, too. The nib is a little heavier than my Japanese pens, but finer than my other European and American pens of the same essential design.

I found the fit and finish superb, and I like how much ink my pen carries. While I have several other really good pens, I think I could be happy as a clam using only this pen.

It has gotten me interested in other Italian brands, but only for purposes of comparison.

Delta, particularly their Stantuffo model with piston (captive converter), ink window and 14k nib. I have several, all that wrote well straight out of the box. Their resins/celluloids/wood look great, they write well, and their chunky shape fits my large hands better than most others.

My favourite is Aurora Optima .I love them for the exquisite colours .

Also the balance and section are perfect for me .Im a woman with

medium sized hands. I can write for hours and not get tired.

I like the nib . To me , it isnt rough. I dont like glass smooth nibs. Feeling

the paper is ok.

I think I might have to look out for a Tibaldi, given some comments above.

Problem solved. A vintage Tibaldi will set out on its journey to these shores before long. :thumbup:

The Columbus Extra I have in use at the moment cost me relative peanuts, allowing also that it needed work to work. It is an excellent pen to use, one I suspect is undervalued, with the name seeming to have no cachet. I guess it fair to say that some of the piston construction is not of the first quality either. You forget all of that when writing.

X

The Omas 360 vintage edition in arco brown. For me they are a beautiful symbol of pushing the envelope with design whilst also nodding to the heritage of the brand. Lucky enough to own a couple too ;)

Y1OOMfsh.jpg

ndiTZhkh.jpg

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

• 2 weeks later...

I love my Visconti pens, and am fortunate enough to have a wide range of them, particularly the Van Goghs and some special editions, including a Divina Proporzione, which is amazing.

But the Delta Dolce Vita series steals my heart. It is so representative of Italian design and the spirit of Southern Italy. I have a Dolce Vita We medium size fountain pen, that goes wherever I go, with its Italian cousins (and second-cousins other than Delta) taking places in the rotation.

While my Omas Burkina Ogivia is my favorite Italian, the Dolce Vita Oversised, Oro was my first "nice" pen purchase; It is always filled & ready to write, making me smile when I see it, peeking amidst the pot of pens in front of me!

I think it says Italian in the loudest voice among it's Omas, Visconti, Aurora, Montegrappa & Nettuno cousins.

an extremely difficult question to answer

too many great pens that have fortunately been mentioned by others here

if I were forced to choose perhaps this one (with long tines)

fpn_1540330684__p1160616-3_aurora_88_big

• 2 weeks later...

I have a lot of Visconti's, Auroras and Montegrappa's. I have to say my favorite one though is the Montegrappa Extra Otto Shiny Lines and second would be my Visconti Torpedo although close behind that is the Visconti Il Magnifico.

• 4 weeks later...