Anybody Ever Try To Swap A Nib On A Ranga?

blindwally

I have Ranga Model #4 with the "Bakul" finish that I'd love to love more than I currently do. The Wality nib and I have never gotten along.
Has anybody ever yanked a nib on a Ranga or other ebonite Indian eyedropper.

I'm considering putting a Goulet B in it.

Thoughts?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• blindwally

• tony1000

• tomgartin

• Zinonas

They are the same size, it will fit. Other nibs that fit include Bock #6 nibs, Knox K35 nibs and Noodler's Ahab nibs.

Edited by discopig

I tried putting a #6 in my Ranga model 3 and it was too big to seat properly. I had a lot of trouble with it and eventually just ordered a Ranga that was threaded to accept a whole JoWo nib unit. That turned out much better, except for some flow issues that resolved when I got a second nib unit.

You can read about my experience here... https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/227970-ranga-model-3-duofold-black-polished-ebonite/

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I have a small Ranga which came with two nibs and two feeds: one mounted in the pen, and an extra one. I think one was M (the one I never used). So I'm assuming the pen is designed to allow a user to easily pull the nib and feed, although I've never done it with that one; but with plenty of my other Indian pens, I have, and it is easy; basically just get a good grip on both and pull straight out. If it seems stuck, flush first. The only Indian FP that gave me a problem removing the nib was the Oliver F27, which has a Schmidt nib and feed assembly; but eventually, that too came out and allowed me to replace the nib.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

I have replaced the nib in my ranga eye dropper pen with an old #5 waterman nib. I'm not sure if it was a #4 ranga though. Since they use ebonite feeders it is easy to heat set the feeder to a new nib. The goulet nibs are #6 so I don't know if they would fit. Probably you could use the nib from an Edison nib unit for the smaller Edison pens, which use #5 nibs or from a nib unit for a twsbi 540. If you are careful you can pull the nib out from the unit without damaging it.

I have a Varuna Gajendra, Varuna being more or less the predecessor to Ranga, I think. The original medium nib was unsatisfactory so I contacted Brian Gray at Edison. Brian hooked me up with a broad two-tone steel nib that is smooth and fit fine (I'm pretty sure it's a #6). I think he sold it through his Meister Nibs subsidiary. So give Brian a shout.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

There are many posts regarding this exact modification. I have a few Ranga pens and none have original nibs. The larger models (Model 4, 5) look nice with a Knox K35 or Nemosine nib. If you fit a Sheaffer No-nonsense feed, it really becomes something quite nice. I also have a Model 3 with a super-flexible Waterman #5.

I have an Ahab and a couple of Jinhaos so having an extra #6 nib around is no big risk. Meisternibs come with the section..right?

I have an Ahab and a couple of Jinhaos so having an extra #6 nib around is no big risk. Meisternibs come with the section..right?

They come with the feed housing that screws into the section. It's not hard to pull the nib out if you don't want the housing. Ranga uses JoWo nib units, so you don't have to send one to them to get a pen made to accept it. Kandan is a member here and very responsive to inquiries.

- - -

Currently trying to sell a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. PM if you're interested. :)

I think the section of the Ranga pens Teri sells (Peyton Street Pens) is different than the section you get if you purchase the pen directly from Ranga. Teri has the #3 pens fitted with a #6 JoWo nib/feed assembly, with the section threaded accordingly. I'm not at all sure that a [insert brand here] #6 nib would fit onto the feed and into the section of the "standard" Ranga #3 pen.

SteveE is correct .... JoWo and Bock have different threading in their #6 nibs. We went with JoWo and get our nibs from Brian at Meisternibs.com. This set up is available on Ranga models 3, 4c, 5 and Bamboo.

Teri