L'artisan Pastellier - 25 Inks

visvamitra

Hello everyone,

Take a look at some of L'Artisan Pastellier colors. They have some really nice inks. Most of them are moderately saturated, but I kind of like them. Oconto is my favourite blueish ink.

1. Swabs

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/21/6ajj.jpg

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/811/gck8.jpg

2. Ink splash

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/543/qezc.jpg

3. Traces left on the kitchen towel

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/18/41sh.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• Jared

• saskia_madding

• brunico

Wow! Thank you so much, visvamitra!

I always liked Gris de Payne, Cannelle and their marine blues, but I never took the plunge.

Oh - exciting! This company's completely new to me. Where have you been finding them in the UK, @brunico?

Hi Centopar. Nowhere: AFAIK, they're not distributed. The Artisan Pastellier site has the full range, including the foil pouches that give you a saving in shipping costs over the actual bottles.

Search for Callifolio, the name AP gives to the range, and it'll throw up a few more reviews.

I thought shipping was a bit steep for just three bottles, but part of me wants to save up and go there myself, as they're in Albi, just round the corner from the cathedral.

Some nice looking colors there. But I have a question: do they really have two different inks with effectively the same name, Bleu Equinoxe (5) and Bleu Equinoxe (6)?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

This is a very useful comparison. Thank you for this. I'm curious which ink this company is your favorite of different color than blue. Grenat seems to be an interesting color.

@inkstainedtruth - yes, they have both of them, I prefer BE 6.really interesting.

@Hedvika - I find INTI really interesting. Itzamna is cool as well. Also Vert Moyen is quite fresh and performs really well. I've reviewed most of those inks on Polish FP forum. You can check my Grenat review here and nice drawing made with this ink here.

Also, as a side note, not all of these are Callifolio inks. Some of them are from L'artisan Pastellier's "Classic" line. http://www.artisanpastellier.com/encres_transparentes.php

I'm curious - some of the inks exist in both lines. For example, is the Violet above from the Classic or Callifolio line?

Gorgeous subtle colours.

Thanks for the review, especially the kitchen towel bit. It gives me a really good heads up on how the ink will behave in a sketch when washed over with water.

The Bleu Byzance & Olifants are calling me.

I'll have a little ponder and perhaps place a small order. ;)

Edited by Tas

• 1 month later...

I've been curious about Callifolio inks for years, but wonder about their performance. I prefer inks with lower saturation (I'm not sure why more people don't) as it helps to increase the shading, like a nice watercolor. (If I wanted high saturation, I'd get Herbin's calligraphy ink) Callifolio has some beautiful colors, as you've been kind enough to display for us, but is it dry like Pelikan/Lamy inks? How is the flow?

I've enjoyed reviews by other FPN members, but wonder what is your opinion of the performance of these inks?

Also, I'm impressed by your Akkerman ink comparison - another lesser-known European ink with cool bottles that has peaked my interest.

Hi - I enjoy some of L'Artisan Pastellier inks. Oconto is my favourite blue ink, Inti and Itzamna are unique, Omi Osun rocks. However I like highly saturated inks, and most of Callifolio inks are moderately saturated. You should enjoy them :) I've reviewed all of these inks for polish fountain pen network - reviews are in polish language so I don't publish them here. On the other hand google translates it all (except scans) and when it comes to inks I believe scans and photos say more than words.

You can check my reviews here:

Anahuac

Andrinople

Aurora

Baikal

Bleu Equinoxe (5)

Bleu Equinoxe (6)

Bleu Mediterrannee

Bleu Tempete

Bonne Esperance

Bordeaux

Bosphore

Byzance

Grenat

Gris de Payne

Inca Sol

Inti

Itzamna

Oconto

Ohlanga

Olifants

Omi Osun

Vert Olive

Vert Moyen

Violet

Great reviews! Gris de Payne does look interesting...

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I had no idea there was a Polish PFN equivalent. That's really cool.

The Google translation is probably good, but I doubt that it's quite accurate. I'm assuming that Przebijanie means Bleed-through instead of Piercing and that Strzępienie means Feathering instead of Shredding.

Thank you for these great reviews.

• 3 years later...

This interesting ink line has just become available to North Americans at JetPens.com, who carry 36 colors at present (free shipping options too!)

visvamitra, thanks so much for posting your research on these inks: it's been quite helpful to this FP naïf in choosing the colors I want to try; and your kitchen paper towel test is wonderful!