Organizing Testing Of Samples

Just I

I joined Ink Drop and am very excited to finally get my first "drop". So many pretty colours and this months are among my favourite hues!

(ok, I may have also gone a bit crazy when I learned that I can buy samples too - all the pretty colours for a small fraction of the cost :wub: and I have a few more vials than what came in the ink drop. )

This might be a way geeky question but what do other people do when samples arrive? Are there systematic processes in place to check out the qualities of each ink in comparison to each other? Or do most people just grab the first colour that catches their eye and ink up a pen? My impulse is to grab the first colour but I think after a bit I would want a system in place so that later I can find that wet grey purple I tried 6 months ago but can't remember the name of...?

And can most of you resist the temptation to "un-ink" your favourite pen to re-ink with a new colour?

(And yes, I might be just a little crazy when it comes to organization at times - there are rumours I have colour coordinated boxes when I moved once.)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sandy1

• Just I

• WaskiSquirrel

• Blue_Moon

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get the Ink Drops but have ordered several sample packages. What I like to do is keep the an Ink friendly notebook to log the samples in. I note the properties of interest and make a swab of the ink. It's amazing how many times I've gone back to the book to pick my next color. :thumbup:

I joined Ink Drop and am very excited to finally get my first "drop". So many pretty colours and this months are among my favourite hues!

(ok, I may have also gone a bit crazy when I learned that I can buy samples too - all the pretty colours for a small fraction of the cost :wub: and I have a few more vials than what came in the ink drop. )

This might be a way geeky question but what do other people do when samples arrive? Are there systematic processes in place to check out the qualities of each ink in comparison to each other? Or do most people just grab the first colour that catches their eye and ink up a pen? My impulse is to grab the first colour but I think after a bit I would want a system in place so that later I can find that wet grey purple I tried 6 months ago but can't remember the name of...?

And can most of you resist the temptation to "un-ink" your favourite pen to re-ink with a new colour?

(And yes, I might be just a little crazy when it comes to organization at times - there are rumours I have colour coordinated boxes when I moved once.)

Doesn't everyone color coordinate or color label boxes when moving so you know what goes where? :D

Moshe ben David

"Behold, He who watches over Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps!"

I usually use a glass dip pen to make a short sample in a notebook for later reference. If I really like the ink, I will ink up an empty pen with it. I recently enjoyed using Noodler's Blue a lot. I don't like blues, but I found one I did like!

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Hi,

Welcome to The Vortex!

One of the first things I do after hugging the new arrivals is to make some swab samples. That ensures that what I ordered is what I received, and that the ink is sound.

I'll usually start doodling & drawing with an ink before I get on with generating other more rigorous written samples. Of late I've taken to using an inexpensive Sailor pen with a Fude nib, which lets me put down lines of various width & wetness without changing pens.

For a more organised approach, I suggest taking a look at the templates that are pinned in the Ink Review Forum, and the content of the Ink Reviews themselves.

There's been a goodly number of options & methods discussed recently, which I reckon are worth reading:

- Creating an Ink Sample Book : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248422-creating-an-ink-sample-book/?p=2714269

- Do you keep an Ink Journal? : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249367-do-you-keep-an-ink-journal/?p=2728419

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hi,

Welcome to The Vortex!

One of the first things I do after hugging the new arrivals is to make some swab samples. That ensures that what I ordered is what I received, and that the ink is sound.

I'll usually start doodling & drawing with an ink before I get on with generating other more rigorous written samples. Of late I've taken to using an inexpensive Sailor pen with a Fude nib, which lets me put down lines of various width & wetness without changing pens.

For a more organised approach, I suggest taking a look at the templates that are pinned in the Ink Review Forum, and the content of the Ink Reviews themselves.

There's been a goodly number of options & methods discussed recently, which I reckon are worth reading:

- Creating an Ink Sample Book : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/248422-creating-an-ink-sample-book/?p=2714269

- Do you keep an Ink Journal? : https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/249367-do-you-keep-an-ink-journal/?p=2728419

Bye,

S1

Wow! Thanks for posting those links! They were great inspiration to start organizing my inks.

Franklin-Christoph, Italix, and Pilot pens are the best!
Iroshizuku, Diamine, and Waterman inks are my favorites!

Apica, Rhodia, and Clairefontaine make great paper!

If you want to do a complete job, have a look at Sandy1's own reviews - ink review as literature.

Edited by PDW

Here's my typical routine:

I dip a pen into each ink, write a bit with it on a Rhodia pad, and then, when I've developed a feel for the qualities of the ink, I make an entry into my ink journal. If one or more of the batch of samples is a winner, then I might ink up a pen and use it that week. If I continue to like it, I'll add it to my wishlist on the Goulet Pen Co. website, and buy it during my next shopping spree. I store my samples in those plastic trays that Brian Goulet sells, and when I buy a bottle of ink, I will dispose of the sample.

Edited by EKE

Learning from the past does not mean living in the past.

Wow! Thanks for posting those links! They were great inspiration to start organizing my inks.

Hi,

You're welcome!

I think its important to start early - before things get out of hand.

IMHO the best way to build a folio of samples is over time in the normal course of things, which also allows the method/scope of sampling to evolve. For example, when I purchase a new paper, I'll make it a point to generate samples on that paper every time I have a new ink+pen combo on the go. At present, I don't have blocks of time to dedicate to sampling + pen cleansing, so samples are catch as catch can, but they still get done.

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.