The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

"frothy" Ink?

ink iron gall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 13:54

Howdy!  I have just taken my first foray into iron gall inks with R&K's Scabiosa.  I'm totally in love with it, and convinced this is is my color.  However, I do have a question about it... The ink I got is a sample from Goulet, and when it got to me it was a bit... frothy?  I figured the vial had just gotten a bit shaken up while I was excitedly taking it out of the envelope and was no big deal.  However, now it still looks that way, inside my converter.  It writes fine and seems to be fine in every other regard, so I'm wondering if this is just normal for IG inks?  Below is a photo of how it looks in my converter, in case that explains it better:

photo.JPG

Btw, that is my manfriend in the background, being silly.  I warned him that this picture would be going online, and still he persisted...

Sponsored Content

#2 Abner C. Kemp

Abner C. Kemp

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 14:27

Looks like little air bubbles. Since you drew the ink up out of a vial you probably drew up some extra air. Try pushing a little ink through the feed and they should go away. 

#3 Paddler

Paddler

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 16:14

As you write, air passes up one of the feed channels and takes the place of the ink in the converter (or cartridge). The air takes the form of little bubbles. The ink you are using lets the bubbles persist for a while. They will probably disappear after a while, until you start writing again. This may be normal for that ink.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

#4 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:20

You didn't put the pen/nib deep enough into the ink vial.  You have to dip and submerge the entire nib, all the way down to the section (the grip).  Otherwise you suck up air.

That little round breather hole in the nib isn't really a breather hole.  The real breather hole is the square notch on the underside.

#5 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 19:11

Good advice,  I end up having the same problems and forget that 'tis the little notch I should look for not the little circle.  :) Thanks

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#6 Inkling13

Inkling13

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:04

Looks like air bubbles from being sucked up through the feed. Absolutely normal. Doesn't look like foam from say a biomass, like pond scum or anything like that. 

#7 yogalarva

yogalarva

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 21:05

Thanks everyone! I think I just didn't have the nib down in far enough, as suggested. Normally I take the converter out and fill it directly from the sample vials to avoid this, but this time I didn't so I was confused. Haha, something new learned today I guess. :-)

Fountain pen blog | Personal blog

Current collection: Pilot Vanishing Point, TWSBI Vac 700, Kaweco Al Sport, Lamy Safari, Nemosine Singularity

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, iron gall

Sponsored Content

|