I'm Creating A New Company (Pen Related) - Need Feedback

GTD

There is a expensive watch rent service. I think it was 600 usd monthly for cheaper end watches. And like 2200 usd for expensiver watches. But those watches are stuff that are rare and impossible to buy due to the price. So why not the fps. More than likely I won't use it because I like to build memories with my pens and watches.

#Nope

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GTD

• Dickkooty2

• Inkling13

• MisterBoll

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The business model works if he also sells the pens. I don't think there's any concern with people not returning items or returning them damaged. He will have credit card numbers and authorization to charge them. Comparing it to a lending program on a website without insurance or the security of a credit card is meaningless.

I think the idea would be ultimately to sell the pens, basically, rent with the option to buy. People have mentioned many times how pen stores are closing. MB won't let you try anything. I would pay $50 or $100 to rent a $500 pen. Particularly if I knew that could be credited toward purchase price. And it reduces overhead/returns if he does it as a pen store.

In my opinion, I see the stumbling blocks as things like licensing/approval from the companies that make the lens. But certainly not fear of damage.

I live nowhere close to a retail location that carries pens. There are many pens that I would love to try and if I liked I would purchase. I think this would be great if you had the option to buy. Rent to own or return if you choose to.

WTB Sheaffer Balance oversized with a flex nib, semi flex, broad, or medium in carmine red or grey striated.

Wtb Sheaffer Pfm in black or blue with a medium or broad nib.

he'd spend a lot of money on shipping tbh..you dont want to go cheap on shipping for expensive pens. and is he going to send official boxes n certificates for pens? because if he doesnt and the customer decides to keep the pen (ie buy it), he is going to have to spend money again on shipping the boxes n certs etc..

Fountain pens are like weapons. They just make your pocket bleed so much.

he'd spend a lot of money on shipping tbh..you dont want to go cheap on shipping for expensive pens. and is he going to send official boxes n certificates for pens? because if he doesnt and the customer decides to keep the pen (ie buy it), he is going to have to spend money again on shipping the boxes n certs etc..

He can have subscription Tiers. (With shipping of the pen included in the price) Like maybe 20 USD for a 200 USD pen weekly. (With tier 1)

The Teirs will have extra befits as you go up.

Basic tier would be like 15 USD a month.

- Access to sub 200 USD pen

- 10% rental cost of a pen

Intermediate tier would be like 30 USD a month.

- Access to 500 - 201 USD pens

- 9% Rental cost for a Basic Tier pen.

- 10% Rental cost of a Intermediate tier pen.

Advanced tier would be like 60 USD a month.

- Access to 800-501 USD Pens.

- 5% Rental cost for a Basic Tier pen.

- 9 % Rental cost for a Intermediate tier pen.

- 10% Rental Cost for a Advanced Tier pen.

High Roller tier would be like 200 USD a month.

- Access to Rare limited editions and Rare vintage pens.

- 2% Rental cost for a Basic Tier pen.

- 5% Rental cost for a Intermediate tier pen.

- 9% Rental Cost for a Advanced Tier pen.

- 50% Rental cost for Rare Limited Editions

- 50% Rental cost for Rare Vintage pens.

Tier 5. (I have no name.) would be like 500-1000 USD per month. (You can have one Basic - Advanced tier pen FREE if you pay a head by 4 months.)

- FREE Rental cost for a Basic Tier pen. You can rent up to 2 pens!

- FREE Rental cost for a Intermediate tier pen.

- FREE Rental Cost for a Advanced Tier pen.

- 30% Rental cost for Rare Limited Editions

- 30% Rental cost for Rare Vintage pens.

Teir 6 would be like 5000 USD per month. (You can have up to 3 Basic - Advanced tier pen FREE if you pay a head by 4 months.)

- FREE Rental cost for a Basic Tier pen. You can rent up to 2 pens!

- FREE Rental cost for a Intermediate tier pen. You can rent up to 2 pens!

- FREE Rental Cost for a Advanced Tier pen. You can rent up to 2 pens!

- 25% Rental cost for Rare Limited Editions

- 25% Rental cost for Rare Vintage pens.

And the Subcription price doesn't go into the price of the pen when you do buy it. The rental cost is weekly.

This is my idea.

Edited by Icywolfe

#Nope

I think it all depends on what kind of relationships formed with suppliers. It seems like people are assuming he plans on purchasing pens at wholesale, and that a broken pen here and there is a big concern. I disagree - I think there is some promotion value in the idea, and larger suppliers might offer pens at little to no cost. Considering already large mark-ups with most luxury pens, I don't think a few destroyed pens is a big concern as long as a few of those pens convert to sales.

That said, the market size is small. The fountain pen community is small, and the number of fountain pen users that would sign up for this is much smaller. I think that is the main killer to the business model.

The tier model proposed above is interesting, but I really question why anyone willing to dish out $500+ /month on this program would rent a pen instead of purchase. I think bringing $100-$300 pen rentals to under $20/month would be the sweet spot. Even then, you would have to get a few thousand people to make this profitable - which might be a challenge with your market size.

Edited by cpmcnamara

I think it all depends on what kind of relationships formed with suppliers. It seems like people are assuming he plans on purchasing pens at wholesale, and that a broken pen here and there is a big concern. I disagree - I think there is some promotion value in the idea, and larger suppliers might offer this pens at little to no cost. Considering already large mark-ups with most luxury pens, I don't think a few destroyed pens is a big concern as long as a few of those pens convert to sales.

That said, the market size is small. The fountain pen community is small, and the number of fountain pen users that would sign up for this is much smaller. I think that is the main killer to the business model.

The tier model proposed above is interesting, but I really question why anyone willing to dish out $500+ /month on this program would rent a pen instead of purchase. I think bringing $100-$300 pen rentals to under $20/month would be the sweet spot. Even then, you would have to get a few thousand people to make this profitable - which might be a challenge with your market size.

The tier model would make beginners try out cheaper pens without paying something huge. I know it needs works. But I'm not the OP. Also the rental cost is done so if you like the pen you can pay off the rest to buy the pen.

It might work because there are many people iffy about putting down a good bit of money to buy a FP. Those people are often ball point users.

#Nope

The tier model would make beginners try out cheaper pens without paying something huge. I know it needs works. But I'm not the OP. Also the rental cost is done so if you like the pen you can pay off the rest to buy the pen.

It might work because there are many people iffy about putting down a good bit of money to buy a FP. Those people are often ball point users.

Definitely - I agree that it'd be a good way to get started in trying out high(er) end, yet affordable, pens. And the tier model makes sense to me at $20, 25, 30/month ranges. I just think the market is too low at some upper tier point - the OP would need to do some more research to figure out what the point is. That said, these are all hypothetical "you could do this" ideas for the OP - If he is planning on launching soon, I think he should lay out the plan with a more detail so members can chime in without proposing hypothetical business structures.

Edited by cpmcnamara

Definitely - I agree that it'd be a good way to get started in trying out high(er) end, yet affordable, pens. And the tier model makes sense to me at $20, 25, 30/month ranges. I just think the market is too low at some upper tier point - the OP would need to do some more research to figure out what the point is. That said, these are all hypothetical "you could do this" ideas for the OP - If he is planning on launching soon, I think he should lay out the plan with a more detail so members can chime in without proposing hypothetical business structures.

I'm revising the tree right now.

Well the thing about 500 USD stuff are for people wanting to own but really can't pay for those uber rare vintage pens.

Is the OP would comment it would be nice.

#Nope