The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Mb Irish Green Alternatives?

montblanc irish green diamine herbin

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vates

vates

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 19:11

Greentings!

MB Irish Green is my absolutely favorite green ink. However, the surplus of this ink in local boutiques is unstable and they often don’t have it available.

On the other hand, the famous international store, where I frequently make purchases doesn’t carry MB inks.

Could you please advice an ink similar in color and shading to the subject? In the first place from the range of Diamine, J.Herbin and other major brands present in Europe and the UK. (no Noodlers though! these inks are out of my reach)

Thanks!

Gottes Mühlen mahlen langsam, mahlen aber trefflich fein

Sponsored Content

#2 Russ

Russ

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 19:20

Omas green is slightly lighter but works well for me as an alternative to MB IG.

#3 vates

vates

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 23:29

Thank you! However, Omas is also not so easily available in my situation.

I've browsed through different topics and IIUIC, the closest may be:

Diamine Sherwood Green and Penman Emerald (the latter is a tough to find discontinued ink).
And perhaps,  J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage.

Please, share your thoughts!

#4 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,587 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 January 2014 - 23:50

Welcome aboard.

Check out Cyabea's thread with all the Diamine inks. He has tested each color and you can get some ideas.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#5 wnclee

wnclee

The Lustful Scribe

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:53

Hello. Sorry to hear this. I have the MB Irish Green and it is my lifetime ( for now ) go to green and is permanantely housed ( for now ) in one of my trusty Lamy Safari's with an "EF" nib. Perfect match. I DO however have a J. Herbin "Lierre Sauvage" and have used in a similar pen and find it slightly, just slightly & ever-so slightly darker... Don't be scared, to me neglible. This is, of course if you want to stay with these makers. Have you tried looking at any Private Reserve's? They offer a huge number of colors. Also, Edelstein by Pelikan has an Aventurine which is close very close to the mark. I have this one as well, and behaves as well as the MB being on the wet side, but dries well enough for my uses. Don't know why some people want an ink to dry so fast. I know there's a reason for wanting this, but sloooow down a bit. Okay, end of tangent. Good hunting, LeRoy  

#6 vates

vates

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:50

Oh, thank you!
I'll definitely look into Edelstein Aventurine. 

As for the PR inks: they have too many green colors to choose from.  Which color is the closest to MB IG from your experience?

Cheers!

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,763 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 18:04

Edelstein Aventurine=No!!!!     4001 Green is better...more green-green too.

R&K Verdura beat MB Irish by a nose in a paper test I was dong, third by a neck was Pelikan 4001 green...a most under rated but widely available ink, that patted it's younger brother Edelstein Aventurine on the head while it kicked it in the pants.

Aventurine feathers on some papers.

Neither of the three green-green inks underlined feathered, all had sharp lines.

I bought a bottle of Pelikan 4001 green on sale....I wasn't into green....a year later I have 11 bottles of various greens.

Everyone says poor Mozart dead at only 36. None say poor Mendelson, dead at only 38. His family only allowed him to start at 20, but before, musicians use to come to the Mendelson garden to steal the music of Mendelson and his sister. A good artist also, can still buy prints of his famous Scottish drawings in Scotland.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Pens/inks/paper on hold for a year....new addiction pocket watch chains. :happyberet:

#8 vates

vates

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 20:05

Thanks for you suggestion! From the samples I've seen 4001 is a nice green but Edelstein looks closer to MB IG.

#9 Renfield

Renfield

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 January 2014 - 00:57

Greentings!

MB Irish Green is my absolutely favorite green ink. However, the surplus of this ink in local boutiques is unstable and they often don’t have it available.

On the other hand, the famous international store, where I frequently make purchases doesn’t carry MB inks.

Could you please advice an ink similar in color and shading to the subject? In the first place from the range of Diamine, J.Herbin and other major brands present in Europe and the UK. (no Noodlers though! these inks are out of my reach)

Thanks!

I have to agree that MB Irish Green is a wonderful green. 

Probably my favourite as well.

You want alternatives within UK and Europe. Where are you based?

Why not just stock up with a few bottles? 

Wheelers Luxury Gifts has it for £11 a bottle with free UK Shipping.

Pen Shop has it for £11.50 with free UK shipping

As for the comparisons. I have tried J Herbin Lierre Sauvage Diamine Sherwood Green and R&K Verdura, and while I like them, they just are not the same. 

Ren

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 vates

vates

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 21:32

Yes, I will stock some of course as soon as they are available again.     

#11 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 June 2017 - 19:49

Lierre Sauvage is a little light, but Edlistein Aventura is a fairly close match. Irish Green may be a little more saturated. 

#12 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:59

KWZ Green # 3. At least in my L2K it's an exact match. 

#13 KKay

KKay

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:38

Noodler's-Green Marine is a little darker and a very nice ink, plus it has some water resistance.  It does shade well except for the XF size nib.

#14 donmcnel

donmcnel

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 14:47

I think that Diamine Sherwood Green is a nice one.

#15 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,301 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 15:03

I would tend to buy Mb Irish Green, as it's readily available here. However, if you can't get it anywhere then I agree that Diamine Sherwood Green is a good alternative.  :)

#16 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 17:13

I would tend to buy Mb Irish Green, as it's readily available here. However, if you can't get it anywhere then I agree that Diamine Sherwood Green is a good alternative.  :)

Definitely KWZ Green # 3. I can't see any difference- note the green ink under my fingernail that I can't seem to get out. That should give me some credibility as an authority of the subject, as I've clearly been experimenting :) 

Attached Images

• IMG_5489.JPG

#17 arrScott

arrScott

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2017 - 18:41

MB Irish Green really is the chieftain of the green inks. Diamine Sherwood Green is a bit darker and leans more to the blue side of the green spectrum, but it's a very well-behaved ink. In terms of performance, I'd rank it very close to the MB. Private Reserve's Sherwood Green leans a bit more to the yellow side of the green spectrum. In my experience, it writes a bit dry and stays moist on the page for far too long. But it may be the ink whose hue most closely approximates MB Irish Green of those I've tried.

#18 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2017 - 14:49

I've never seen MB Irish Green live, but based on the photos I'd suggest Monteverde Green. 

Here's a review I did on the ink.

http://www.fountainp...nteverde-green/

I hear Monteverde inks are hard to find in the UK/Europe.  Here's a thread discussing their availability:

http://www.fountainp...inks-in-europe/

I know the OP was looking for something easily available in Europe, but I'm including this for other people also looking for an Irish Green alternative.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: montblanc, irish, green, diamine, herbin

Sponsored Content

|