Waterman Flask

82Greg

I understand during Prohibition, Waterman made a pen larger than the 58. Further, for some of these large pens, the factory converted them to a flask.

Does anyone know the name of the large pen? The 'A20' seems to come to mind, but I'd like to be sure.

Does anyone have pictures of the factory flask conversion?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• chunya

• FarmBoy

• LorraineAmalia

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At David Nishimura's site..a short article re: Waterman "Prohibition Pen"..enjoy..

http://www.vintagepens.com/Waterman_Prohibition_Pen.shtml

Redact. Years ago{14 or 15?} I did see a Waterman #20 safety flask with the original

glass liner..which sold for $2,500 usd....

Fred

Edited by Freddy

That is a great story, and what a pen flask! Thanks for the link.

How small of all that human hearts endure,
That part which laws or kings can cause or cure.

— Samuel Johnson

Instagram: dcpritch

At David Nishimura's site..a short article re: Waterman "Prohibition Pen"..enjoy..

http://www.vintagepens.com/Waterman_Prohibition_Pen.shtml

Redact. Years ago{14 or 15?} I did see a Waterman #20 safety flask with the original

glass liner..which sold for $2,500 usd....

Fred

I'm not aware of any solid evidence that the Waterman's flask was originally configured with a glass liner.

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

I'm not aware of any solid evidence that the Waterman's flask was originally configured with a glass liner.

--Daniel

You're probably right Daniel but it's a nice story.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

"I'm not aware of any solid evidence that the Waterman's flask was originally configured with a glass liner."

--Daniel

I agree, description " with original glass liner" from 10 Warren Street in Vintage Pen Quarterly.
Fred

• 4 years later...

I believe I may have the flask. It looks almost identical to the Waterman 20 S on the outside. I am not a pen collector but happen to own this. I dont know how to add a picture.

I believe I may have the flask. It looks almost identical to the Waterman 20 S on the outside. I am not a pen collector but happen to own this. I dont know how to add a picture.

Look at the top menu bar, select Upload, choose the picture file on you computer, once uploaded look below the picture where you will see Codes, copy and paste the BB code into your post.

As Force says, that is very probably a very valuable piece you have there. It would be very interesting to hear about its history, or the story as to how you came to own it.

A few years back I knew a couple of professional glass blowers who used to love challenges, and I think they'd easily have blown a new liner for that pen flask.

Lets pop that picture in and hopefully the owner will not mind.

post-42786-0-58323600-1532718779_thumb.jpg

In sitting here thinking about it, you would have thought a dummy nib would have added to the illusion of it being a fountain pen

Am I losing it? A few days back I am certain that the OP posted that she'd listed the Flask, and as I couldn't find it I did message her to ask if she could provide a link, but no response and the posting seems to have disappeared. Did anyone see the listing?

Yes, it has been removed because it contained an eBay link for an active auction which is against FPN rules.

Yes, it has been removed because it contained an eBay link for an active auction which is against FPN rules.

Ah ... that could partly have been my fault ... Her original post didn't include a Link, when I messaged her asking for a Link maybe I should have stressed that she needed to respond to my message, and not add the Link to the post. :mellow: I naturally assumed she'd just respond to my message, as a Newbie I don't think she realised that she was breaking any rules.