New Pelikan Classic P200 Fountain Pen With Cartridges

Fritz Schimpf

Dear readers,

after the idea has been around for at least two years, Pelikan will start selling in March 2014 (at least in Germany) their new fountain pen, the Classic P200. The P200 is similar to the M200 fountain pens, but instead of offering a piston mechanism it accepts cartridges. The P200 fountain pen will be released in two versions (one with silver and one with gold coloured applications). There are three nib sizes to choose from (fine, medium and broad). Some pictures can be found here: http://www.fritz-schimpf.de/Neuheiten/Pelikan-Classic-P200-205-Patronenfuellhalter.html.

In order to be able to offer the matching cartridges Pelikan will also start selling the Edelstein ink in cartridges. They come in a lovely metal box (
http://www.fritz-schimpf.de/Neuheiten/Pelikan-Edelstein-Ink-Collection-Tintenpatronen.html.

Please excuse the fact that our website only offers German as a language, but for the pictures this should not be a problem. Should you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Besides English you can contact us in Spanish as well.

Kind regards

Fritz Schimpf

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fritz Schimpf

• hari317

• rafapa

• conib

This is very intersting news indeed. I hadn't heard of this previously and don't find much info outside of your site on a Google search. Just out of curiosity, what is your source for this news? I'm suprised they would introduce another cartridge pen to their range when being a piston filler is one of their strengths but I guess variety is the spice of life. The trim ring above the section would be a turn off for me. Looks out of place. Otherwise a pretty conservative, understated design. Should make a good workhorse pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Our source is Pelikan. As we are selling Pelikan for over 100 years in our shop and thanks to our status as a premium partner for the fine writing instruments we have good connections to them. I agree that it is surprising that they introduce a cartridge pen, but this thought has been around for at least two years. The reason probably is that there are quite a few people who are not accustomed to piston fillers and therefore are afraid of ending up with blue hands.

Nice idea, I like C/C fillers. I just hope they do a better job than the last Pelikan C/C fountain pen I saw, the P381. Is the nib steel or gold?

Hi,

Very interesting and quite desirable. :thumbup:

I've been considering purchase of an M215, so I hope the line is extended to include a metal barrel P215 in the near future. (Red-Burgundy would be nice - hint hint.)

Are the nibs interchangeable with the M200 - M400 series?

Bye,

S1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Hello,

Yes, the nibs can be unscrewed like in the M200 series and they are interchangeable with the M200 and the M400 series.

Kind regards

Fritz Schimpf

Something I don't understand is why the price is the same that the m200. I assume that the piston one is more difficult to produce.

Thank you Fritz for posting about the P200 and P205 and for confirming M200 nib interchangeability.

I will be purchasing a P205 specifically for ink and nib testing.

Also, I'm hoping that this release is successful and that Pelikan then decides to make a P205 Demonstrator.

-- Constance

Something I don't understand is why the price is the same that the m200. I assume that the piston one is more difficult to produce.

That was my question too. I think this is too expensive for a cartridge pen. I own a M205, which is a nice enough pen, but would not even consider to purchase a P205 at this price.

There are three nib sizes to choose from (fine, medium and broad).

It would be good to have also the choice of an EF nib (especially as that is what I would prefer to purchase).

;-)

-- Constance

I hope this isn't the march of progress... because I'm afraid that we might loose another pen to C/C filling. History tends to favor the simplified things in life, and it seems that the piston might fall to the wayside with Pelikan...

Pelikan has had C/C filled pens for decades now. IIRC, their long cartridge can hold as much as, if not more ink than the piston pens., yes counter intuitive.

Are the cartridges held in a tray like in the montblanc 147 and pelikan Ductus?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I hope this isn't the march of progress... because I'm afraid that we might loose another pen to C/C filling. History tends to favor the simplified things in life, and it seems that the piston might fall to the wayside with Pelikan...

I don't see them turning their back on a whole tradition of pen making. Just one more option to reach a broader market.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Just one more information about the coming Pelikan P200 fountain pens: The cartridges are not held in a tray, but are inserted directly into the front part of the fountain pen (similar to the Griffix fountain pen system).

We are still waiting for the official answer to the pricing of the new P200, as there have been many questions regarding the price. As soon as we get the information, I will post it here.

<snip>

Also, I'm hoping that this release is successful and that Pelikan then decides to make a P205 Demonstrator.

-- Constance

+1 for a Demonstrator - my Graffix cartridges will enjoy being showcased in such a fine pen.

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

As promised, I would like to pass on the information from Pelikan about their pricing of the new P200 fountain pens. Pelikan argues that they have had to design and built new tools for the making of the new barrel and the connection between the cartridge and the feeder. I think that this sounds quite logical. It also opens a door to a possible price reduction in the future, should the produced quantities of the P 200 be high enough.

What do you think?

Fritz Schimpf

Unconvincing. I see it the other way around. The P200 is a simpler model so it should cost less than the M200.

I don't know the answer but, does the MB 147 cost the same that the MB 146?

Thanks for letting us know the official statement.

Best regards,

Rafael

Hello,

the MB 147 costs € 625.- and the MB 146 530.- (alt least in Germany). Although the prices are not really comparable as the MB 147 comes with a special leather case not sold separately by Montblanc. It seems to me that both Montblanc and Pelikan have similar pricing policy.

Fritz Schimpf