Twsbi Classic Burgundy Fine

shrey

Hi all! This is my first review of FPN so please leave me feedback on how to improve, etc.

Appearance + Design
5 / 5
Like all TWSBI fountain pens, this is a lovely, well made pen. The design is well thought out. To be able to fully take it apart and service it, is a bonus. bright. I chose the burgundy coloured version. The pen doesn’t post at all, but that doesn’t bother me. I post some of my pens, but also depends on the mood I’m in!

Quality
5 / 5
For £42, great value. I haven’t had in long enough to assertion durability, but it ‘feels’ it will last a long time. The piston moves smoothly and there’s a feeling of quality. It looks and feels more expensive than it is. It’s heavier than my Pelikan M200.

Nib
5 / 5
I bought the pen with a Fine nib. It’s very wet - which I like, and very very smooth. It doesn’t flex, but it’s not a ‘nail’. This Jowo nib is firmer than the Bock nib in my 540. Nib widths between the Jowo and the Bock are pretty similar. I have Fines in both. The nib hasn’t skipped at all and writes very well.

Value
5/ 5
£42 on a quality piston filler. What’s not to like! My M200 was almost double the price. The TWSBI feels more expensive/substantial.

fpn_1389451693__img_5262.jpg

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shrey

• Koyote

• inotrym

• Strombomboli

+1

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

you are right ,the pen looks substantial and expensive . I have read many on-line reviews for TWSBI pens , and all report positive . Congrats!I asked my dealer in karachi ,to import this pen.

The step down at the section doesn't bother you at all? I'm curious because I would rather like another piston filler and I do like the design of the Classic, but am also looking rather lustily at the Pelikan range.

The step down at the section doesn't bother you at all? I'm curious because I would rather like another piston filler and I do like the design of the Classic, but am also looking rather lustily at the Pelikan range.

Nope. Doesn't bother me at all.

I have a Pelikan M150 and M200 and a TWSBI 540 (plus way too many other pens). All write beautifully and together with the classic, will be happy with any of them. The Pelikan nibs are softer than the TWSBI nibs.

I have the TWSBI Classic and might post a review sometime. In the meantime...A few comments.

It seems to me that TWSBI could have made this a much more appealing pen in a pretty coherent way:

--they could have designed it without the step,

--which would have meant larger-diameter threads on the barrel,

--which would have meant a larger-diameter cap which, instead of screwing in flush with the pen barrel, would

overlap the barrel slightly - like a Pelikan M-series or Aurora 88/Optima and many other pens.

--As an added benefit, a larger-diameter cap would probably post.

I'm no expert, but it seems like this would have worked, and would have addressed the two most common concerns that we are seeing: the section step and the inability to post.

Edited by Koyote

I have the TWSBI Classic and might post a review sometime. In the meantime...A few comments.

It seems to me that TWSBI could have made this a much more appealing pen in a pretty coherent way:

--they could have designed it without the step,

--which would have meant larger-diameter threads on the barrel,

--which would have meant a larger-diameter cap which, instead of screwing in flush with the pen barrel, would

overlap the barrel slightly - like a Pelikan M-series or Aurora 88/Optima and many other pens.

--As an added benefit, a larger-diameter cap would probably post.

I'm no expert, but it seems like this would have worked, and would have addressed the two most common concerns that we are seeing: the section step and the inability to post.

I personally like the pen *because* of that. I find the design much classier as it is, than with an overlaping cap.

And I don't care for the posting thing at all.

Haha, I guess no manufacturer can make *every* FP user happy. :P

No, they can't make every user happy. But judging from the posts here and on the other FP forum, you are in the minority about posting.

beautiful photo, shrey. i won't be buying this pen, but it is fun to look at in this photo with the beautiful burgundy color and the blue ink.

No, they can't make every user happy. But judging from the posts here and on the other FP forum, you are in the minority about posting.

Personally I never post. I have relatively small hands (for a man) and every posted pen I have used (including the small Pelikans) feel unbalanced or too long to me.

The thing about comments is that generally people only speak up when it's a problem rather than vice versa, so judging by comments doesn't really give a clear view of the picture. (In other words only the people who are concerned about posting are actually going to talk about it or complain about it). If you look at the comments about the clipless Micarta you might imagine everyone has problems with the cap rolling off the table when set down (and don't post).

I agree with inotrym about how the classic looks better having a flush cap.

How heavy is the pen? I know you said it feels well made, but as far as the weighty feeling?

My current 580 is substantial enough to not need to be posted and still feels good in my hands.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/5857-do-you-post/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/26457-do-you-write-posted-or-unposted/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/21749-to-post-or-not-to-post/

I wouldn't say so. We 're just more quiet.

Most people admit that they post whenever not-posting is not comfortable. And that tends to happen only with *small* pens. (Personally I consider a pen to be small if it is smaller than a Pelikan M200, but I guess that is also a matter of taste). Anyway, according to all three polls, fanatic posters are about equal, if not a little less than fanatic noposters.

How heavy is the pen? I know you said it feels well made, but as far as the weighty feeling?

My current 580 is substantial enough to not need to be posted and still feels good in my hands.

It's a similar in weight to the 540 I have. I think the 540 and 580 weigh the same.

When writing, as the Classic is smaller, it feels lighter than the 540. Both write just as well as each other and have a good balance. I can write pages with either without my hand getting tired.

One thing to keep in mind is that some products are designed for a niche market. Such a product may be unappealing to the majority, but if the minority that it does appeal to is large enough and willing enough to pay to make a profit for the manufacturer, then it makes sense to produce it. In fact, if you think about it, fountain pens (ALL fountain pens) are produced for a niche market, that is to say, us. B)
Personally, I'm not sure what I think about this pen. I don't much care about posting (TWSBI Mini is the only pen that I regularly post, and that's because that pen is so short), but I'm a bit worried about the step down between the barrel and the grip section, and I'm also not too thrilled about the metallic knob at the end of the barrel. I do love the burgundy color, though. Who knows, I may end up buying this pen at some point. Or not. We'll see.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/5857-do-you-post/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/26457-do-you-write-posted-or-unposted/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/21749-to-post-or-not-to-post/

I wouldn't say so. We 're just more quiet.

Most people admit that they post whenever not-posting is not comfortable. And that tends to happen only with *small* pens. (Personally I consider a pen to be small if it is smaller than a Pelikan M200, but I guess that is also a matter of taste). Anyway, according to all three polls, fanatic posters are about equal, if not a little less than fanatic noposters.

That is interesting...I appreciate that you dug up those old threads. You have supported your point, and I have not supported mine as well.

I still think, though, that TWSBI could have had a wider market for this pen if it were capable of posting - it would appeal to both posters and non-posters. And since such a design might easily have eliminated the step in the section, it would allay the concerns people have expressed about that, too.

I'm not saying it's a bad pen -- I'm saying that the design choices are a bit baffling.

Edited by Koyote

I still think, though, that TWSBI could have had a wider market for this pen if it were capable of posting - it would appeal to both posters and non-posters. And since such a design might easily have eliminated the step in the section, it would allay the concerns people have expressed about that, too.

I'm not saying it's a bad pen -- I'm saying that the design choices are a bit baffling.

Agreed. But to accommodate that, they would have had to sacrifice the pen's style and appeal. See, it's a bit more complicated. They can widen the market pleasing those who absolutely need posting, but at the same time they narrow down the market not pleasing those who need a nice looking (well according to them) pen. I find that baffling myself.

Like I said, no pen can satisfy every user around. You may find the Micarta beautiful and the Classic disappointing. I think the other way around and find the Micarta hideous (the Vac700 even more) and the Classic at least decent. Posters got their way with TWSBI's other pens. Huge pen fans did also. Pocket pen enthusiasts the same. Now it's time for a pen that will meet the criteria of another bloc of FP users (minority or not :P) .

Being an engineer, I can tell that there are no right or wrong choices as far as designing goes. It depends on your product's target group, the caracteristics of the people you address and your final goal.

The step down is not noticeable when holding the pen. I'd even say, it's one of the good things about this pen. It is a pleasure to hold and thus to write with.

It is a light pen. A little lighter than the Diamond 580, still heavier than the Pelikan M 600. Another reason, why this pen is such a pleasure.

All in all and for my needs, this is the first TWSBI pen that comes close to perfect. Now, if they would make a demonstrator version....that'd be bliss.

Iris

My avatar is a painting by Ilya Mashkov (1881-1944): Self-Portrait; 1911, which I photographed in the New Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

Just got mine, also a burgundy fine. The step down doesn't bother me a bit - it is quite a bit less noticeable than the one in the Vac 700, and gives me a natural reference point to keep my fingers away from the nib. It does look great capped (and uncapped), and I don't post anyway.

It is smaller than I expected, even though I knew the size when I ordered. The weight is nice, but the metal-on-metal threads make it feel a bit tinny. That is only for a second each use, though, and it otherwise feels solid.

As the OP noted, it seems to be a very wet nib (at least with Asa-gao), certainly wetter than my other TWSBIs. Probably will be easy to compensate by picking a different ink (and it won't take long to use up the current fill at this rate :) ).

Edited by larnivon

I just received this pen in the mail (in black) with a fine nib and I love it!! I also have a 580, and this one is much more comfortable for everyday writing at work. I don't find the step down to be an issue at all.

I don't normally post my pens with the exception of my Sailors. I find it to be too cumbersome to post and un post for quick notes at work. But every FP user is different and we use our pens in different situations. If I was a college student taking notes in a lecture, this might be a problem.