Levenger Ink Question

msolok

Hey all.

I have been looking at some Levenger inks that people seem to like. They have a nice bottle, colors look good and reports are they act well. But I am put off by the price. The bottles, according to the Levenger website, are 15ml in size but cost $12 each. Surely that can't be right. That's .80¢ per ml, making the ink some of the most expensive around (Pilot Iroshizuku is .56¢ per ml, and Pelikan Edelstein is .50¢ per ml in the US). Do the properties of the ink really justify the price? I mean Noodles is less than 1/5th the price.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sailor Kenshin

• amberleadavis

• msolok

• mm1624124

I have a six-pack of the traditional colors. In my opinion, there is nothing about them that justifies the price, unless you just have to have a certain color. They are not very water resistant and their lightfast properties are middling. They are very saturated, however, and when I use up about a third of the ink in a bottle, I refill it with water. There is no apparent loss of saturation. I like the ink and I like the bottles; I don't like the price.

Can a calculator understand a cash register?

I've only recently tried them, taking advantage of a special for $9/bottle. Because I'm so new to them I won't speak to their properties, although I do like them. But the bottles ARE NOT 15ML. I have a couple of J.Herbin bottles, and they're definitely bigger than 30ml. My guess is 50ml, but I can't be sure about that.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

The bottles are 50 ml not 15 ml.

And no, the properties do not justify pricing. In fact I don't subscribe to that idea at all for any ink at any price. Writing is personal; the choices of what pleases/displeases the writer is so subjective that who is right or wrong? I have read so many FPN reviews where my experience isn't close and my tolerances are opposite of the reviewer that I don't rely on them as being quantative but rather very qualitative. One Levenger ink is a color that has gotten bad press here with a few positives sprinkled in, but I love the ink, the behavior, the color, everything about it. I can't replicate the bad stuff said about it here. It has been a wonderful ink. Another color has nothing but good reviews, and I have yet to find anything I like about it; it bleeds horribly, spreads out as if I write with a triple broad from a fine nib, it feathers, it gushed out of one pen that never has had any problems before. Perhaps a bad batch of ink or maybe it has been reformulated? Maybe some like ink like that? Again, subjective; and it has not prevented me from purchasing a large collection of Levenger inks.

I also am harboring reservations about Levenger's posted reviews. I *was* are regular cutomer and tried posting honest reviews that, although critical in some aspects, were not discourteous or disrepsectful in any regards. Levenger has yet to post one and I suspect it was due to the mediocre rating.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I had been reading around the place that the bottles are 50ml, but the Levenger website says differently. It says:

In the photo, the color you see in the bottle is lightened a bit to better show you the ink color. To see the color that your ink will be on paper, see the color blocks under 'Choose Color' (below).

• 15 ml (.51 ounces)
  • Glass bottle
  • Inkwell inside the bottle for easier dipping

At 50ml that works out the be 24cents per Ml, which isn't too bad.
I might send Levenger an email asking for clarification.

The bottles are 50 ml not 15 ml.

And no, the properties do not justify pricing. In fact I don't subscribe to that idea at all for any ink at any price. Writing is personal; the choices of what pleases/displeases the writer is so subjective that who is right or wrong?

I also am harboring reservations about Levenger's posted reviews. I *was* are regular cutomer and tried posting honest reviews that, although critical in some aspects, were not discourteous or disrepsectful in any regards. Levenger has yet to post one and I suspect it was due to the mediocre rating.

I agree that to some extent ink choice is a personal thing. Things like colour and wettness are very much up to the user to determine what is best for them. But there are other properties of ink which are desirable and can help justify the cost of an ink (over another). Things like light fastness, permanence, lubrication, dry time, behavior (featuring, bleedthrough etc.) can all help to justify a higher price tot he ink than others.

Yeah, I am fairly dubious of the 'reviews' on Levengers website as well.

<p>Currently collection:<strong>Lamy Safari's</strong> x5, <strong>Lamy Al Star's</strong> x3, <strong>Lamy Studio's </strong>x2, A <strong>Lamy 2000</strong>, <strong>Kaweco Sports/AL Sports</strong> x7, <strong>Noodlers pens (Konrad and Ahab)</strong> x10, <strong>Noodlers Konrad Ebonite</strong> x2, <strong>Hero 616</strong> x10, <strong>Reform 1745</strong> x10, <strong>Sailor 1911m</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor 1911 Realo</strong> x3, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Realo</strong> x2, <strong>Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black</strong>, <strong>Sailor 1911 Sterling Silver</strong>, <strong>Visconti Opera Club Cherry Juice</strong> (M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib), <strong>Visconti Opera Elements </strong>x3 (Amber and Black with M <span>Dreamtouch</span> Nib, Blue with M Gold Nib), <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Maxi</strong>, <strong>Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age</strong>, <strong>Montblanc 146 Le Grande</strong>... Plus I am sure I have forgotten some.

You mean that you have attempted to post mediocre ratings on their website but they never were actually posted? That is troubling.

Actually, I have only one bottle of Levengers ink and although I like the color, I also bought it because it was discounted to $9.00 and I wanted to get one of their bottles as they have a better filling set up for when the ink is running low.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

50 mL is the bottle size. The website is incorrect. I have an empty bottle (in box) of Raven Black here with some other things I have.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

They've got some good, unusual colors, like True Teal and Empyrean. And the bottle shape with plastic insert is cool. But the bottle isn't 15 ML.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Hi all. Got a response from Levenger today. They have advised that the bottles of I k are around 44ml and not 15ml as per their website. This means the ink is around 27cents per ml. This is about the middle of the pack cost wise.

I had a bottle of Levenger Cobalt Blue and found it to be terribly unremarkable, decent behavior, nice saturation but nothing special...

Edited by ParkersandPilots

The bottle is 50 ml.

Raven black does have some UV resistance.

I've done some informal reviews on several of the colors and they are in my ink cabinet. I will consider buying more. I adore Cardinal red because it is the best mixing red I've ever found. It is not blue, it is not orange.

If it holds up in my next fade experiments, I will be buying Skies of Blue. I liked the color and the flow. It is also one of the colors in my QIV mix. Check out the reviews for some ideas.

Anyway, here is Skies of Blue:

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_655.jpg

http://sheismylawyer.com/She_Thinks_In_Ink/Inklings/slides/2013-Ink_655d.jpg

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Thanks! Love your ink reviews.

Are you by any chance a southpaw?

Thank you Sailor!

I can write with my left, but I am a righty. My brother and father-in-law are the only family in their right mind.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Heh...you started on the righthand side of the sheet, something I always do.

I think it's an ADHD thing. :)

My only bottle of Levenger ink (Shiraz) is 50ml. It was a gift from my wife this past Christmas accompanied by a Levenger L-Tech Plus fountain pen. The ink is quite nice...a great, dark red (wine) color, and performs well in the L-Tech pen. I haven't tried it in any others, but I suspect it should work fine. It's pretty heavily saturated and flows well, so it may be a good choice for a drier, fine nib pen.

Edited by Snargle

Larry

Some of their ink is quite nice and take the price with a grain of salt. They always run sales. I don't think I have ever bought anything including ink at Levenger at full price. They send 20% off cards out all the time. Also, you can check out the ebay outlet that has ink from time to time. I live near a store so I don't have to worry about shipping. Without the shipping and with the constant sales the ink works out to be a reasonable price when you include the very nice bottles IMO.

I usually buy when it's free shipping.