Trying To Do The Ahab Extra Flex Mod, Pen Dries Out

Fabienne

The scuffing was called Bad Boy. It was supposed to make it look fashionably distressed. Bad Boy with Angel Wings was the whole name.

I am glad you got that image, KrazyIvan, because that reminds me of how deep the Pendleton Angel Wings flex grind was AND that makes me suspect that the first opinion of why my pen dried out was that the ink was evaporating through the ebonite so quickly because of the opened sides...well, that does not seem to be the problem after all. So, I am left with the feed being the problem and when I get the needle files I have bought from amazon.com, I will be enlarging the feed channels and suchlike.

By the way, KI, I tried your trick of using a silicon pad to take the nib and feed out of the grip, it's a charm. Dang! I should have bought one of those as a spare at Wal-Mart is morning. Very slick trick. Thank you.

It's for Yew!bastardchildlil.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fabienne

• Pterodactylus

• betweenthelens

• KrazyIvan

The scuffing was called Bad Boy. It was supposed to make it look fashionably distressed. Bad Boy with Angel Wings was the whole name.

I am glad you got that image, KrazyIvan, because that reminds me of how deep the Pendleton Angel Wings flex grind was AND that makes me suspect that the first opinion of why my pen dried out was that the ink was evaporating through the ebonite so quickly because of the opened sides...well, that does not seem to be the problem after all. So, I am left with the feed being the problem and when I get the needle files I have bought from amazon.com, I will be enlarging the feed channels and suchlike.

By the way, KI, I tried your trick of using a silicon pad to take the nib and feed out of the grip, it's a charm. Dang! I should have bought one of those as a spare at Wal-Mart is morning. Very slick trick. Thank you.

Okay, but look at the video and you will see the wings are not as pronounced as in the first image.

Glad you liked the silicone pad trick. Try dollar stores too. Mine has rolls of the shelf liner stuff that I cut into squares.

Yes, I did run across the original BBWAW nib in my office and the cut outs are much smaller (nope, no camera with me so you have to use your imagination here). This one was from about 2 years ago.

FPN is really great, if you have a problem you can always find good advice.

I did the flex modification to the nib of my Ahab. The flex is really good but there is no flow whatsoever and I can only use the pen as a dip pen. I had deepened the grove and removed a few fins when I got the pen and the flow was fine before the flex modification. I will now try to remove the tube and if that does not work I will try to heat the feeder to get it more in line with the nib.

Here is the latest update on my mod, while waiting for my needle files, I ground a second Ahab and it was scratchy, and I gave it the micromesh treadment (Be Careful here), and the second mod was more like Pendleton Brown's original angel wings. Not as much spring as my mod (gloat gloat) BUT the Pendleton Brown mod pen has much better flow. Is that the feed or is that the amount of metal I took off the nib, or is it a peculiarity of that particular pen?

I guess the pens are different.

it seems that they often behave very different, some doesn't even write out of the box, some write good, many have flow problems, but some even seem to have enough flow to support also a flex increase mod (e.g. Bo Bo Olson's pen).

You can try to switch the feeds (or nibs) of the pens, and try again, maybe the feed on your second pen is just better.

But of course as greater the flex the greater the amount of ink it needs.

Mine consumes a piston fill of ink really really fast.

My Serwex MB with EMF nib behaves like your first pen, the feed can't keep up and dries out very quickly.

Also the converter is way too small, I can easily empty it in less than a hour scribbling with it (have to squeeze ink down to the feed every couple of lines).

OK last night I did surgery as I had gotten my needle files. Grind and try, Grind and try and so on.I got it going well and went to bed. This morning I got up and it railroaded badly UNTIL i just kept trying and now it's a champ. It's all in the feed. Moar later but

I LOVE THIS PEN NOW.

Partially because it was meant to be tinkered with, partly because I did tinker and did it right!

More later!

Edited by Fabienne

Fabienne, when are you going to open your own business as a nibmeister? I have a couple of pens that could use your expertise!

Oh hahahahaha! You don't want me to do that. Honest, I just nibble around the edges here and I got a bit bold and a bit lucky. I have done two so far and the results are a bit varied. One started off as being a broader pen, the other finer. Of course, the results of the finer pen were better. I really feel a sense of great accomplishment over this.

Fabienne, when are you going to open your own business as a nibmeister? I have a couple of pens that could use your expertise!

Here, here! My cobalt Ahab volunteers to further your noble cause. He's pretty bored just hanging out in my pen tray. He'll be happier at your place, I'm sure. :happyberet:

Oh hahahahaha! You don't want me to do that. Honest, I just nibble around the edges here and I got a bit bold and a bit lucky. I have done two so far and the results are a bit varied. One started off as being a broader pen, the other finer. Of course, the results of the finer pen were better. I really feel a sense of great accomplishment over this.

Well, with the third, you'll have turned pro! You should feel a great sense of accomplishment!

Heh...honestly, get yourself either a Dremel tool (they are not real expensive), a set of needle files, and a bit of micromesh and take it slow and easy. You will get there and be so proud of your accomplishments, too!

Heh...honestly, get yourself either a Dremel tool (they are not real expensive), a set of needle files, and a bit of micromesh and take it slow and easy. You will get there and be so proud of your accomplishments, too!

I have a Dremel and was all ready to go but chickened out. Now, I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the bent misaligned nib that resulted from my overzealous pushing of it against a folded square of vintage kimono silk, trying to get it to seat properly after I'd removed it. :(

Do you still advise I try? How close are you to New York? ;)

Edited by betweenthelens

Awwww, I am in Cincinnati so far away. I would recommend, fire up that Dremel (and make sure you have good eye protection) take it slow, don't bite off too much. Before you start, be sure you know which mod you want to do: the angel wing Pendleton or my straightback from the edge. Memorize what it looks like. Take a deep breath. Start slowly. Make sure the hand in which you hold it is holding tight and take off little bits at a time. If anything flies away, stop and pick it up, take a slug of tea and start again. You can do it. The point isn't really the nib, it's you and how powerful you can be effortlessly. So carry on. The do it on the other side.

Now take out the loupe (if you don't have one, get one...they are GREAT) and look at the nib. Which side is too high up? Push it down gently. Again and again if necessary. Gentle and easy, a bit at a time. Push it and look under the loupe and redo, recheck. Redo. Continue until it looks right.

Reassemble and see how the feed goes. If it's not doing right, we will talk next. The grind is the easy part, to me. The feed can be trickier. Good luck, and tell us what happened.

It's all a process of try it, redo, try it, redo, try it.... etc.

Awwww, I am in Cincinnati so far away. I would recommend, fire up that Dremel (and make sure you have good eye protection) take it slow, don't bite off too much. Before you start, be sure you know which mod you want to do: the angel wing Pendleton or my straightback from the edge. Memorize what it looks like. Take a deep breath. Start slowly. Make sure the hand in which you hold it is holding tight and take off little bits at a time. If anything flies away, stop and pick it up, take a slug of tea and start again. You can do it. The point isn't really the nib, it's you and how powerful you can be effortlessly. So carry on. The do it on the other side.

Now take out the loupe (if you don't have one, get one...they are GREAT) and look at the nib. Which side is too high up? Push it down gently. Again and again if necessary. Gentle and easy, a bit at a time. Push it and look under the loupe and redo, recheck. Redo. Continue until it looks right.

Reassemble and see how the feed goes. If it's not doing right, we will talk next. The grind is the easy part, to me. The feed can be trickier. Good luck, and tell us what happened.

It's all a process of try it, redo, try it, redo, try it.... etc.

Oh gosh. I don't know. I'm one of those with crookedly hung artwork straightened by well-meaning friends. My spatial reasoning, an exact science, could be deemed creative at best. I will let you know, though, if I decide to go through with it. I can buy a new nib, right?

No, they don't sell just the Ahab nib. You would have to get a whole new pen if you massively screw up. Modding may not be your cup of tea but then again you might surprise yourself. In any case, you would have lost a $20 pen nib which can be replaced with a better (but non flex) nib from a place like Classic Nib.

No, they don't sell just the Ahab nib. You would have to get a whole new pen if you massively screw up. Modding may not be your cup of tea but then again you might surprise yourself. In any case, you would have lost a $20 pen nib which can be replaced with a better (but non flex) nib from a place like Classic Nib.

I may end up replacing it anyway as I don't think I can fix the damage I've done. I guess it can't hurt to try, though, as it isn't usable in this condition! I'll keep you posted if I attempt anything. ;)

Edited by betweenthelens

That's perfect....You can at least try out how you would do on the bent nib. You can see how much more flexy they get and that will give you courage. If you really mess up, that is OK. Then you have learned.

Oh, I didn't see your question about where I am ....I am in Cincinnati Ohio. We have a really nice and rather active Porkopolis Penners club here, and I think I am going to try to do a video and put it up on our blog.

That's perfect....You can at least try out how you would do on the bent nib. You can see how much more flexy they get and that will give you courage. If you really mess up, that is OK. Then you have learned.

Oh, I didn't see your question about where I am ....I am in Cincinnati Ohio. We have a really nice and rather active Porkopolis Penners club here, and I think I am going to try to do a video and put it up on our blog.

Thank you, Fabienne, for your encouragement! I suppose, too, I could bring my Dremel and nib to the next Big Apple Pen Club meeting and entertain the members with my lack of dexterity! ;) Do you have a blog address for your club?