Pelikan M200 Vs Edison Beaumont. Which To Invest In?

DrPhilth

krandallkraus,

Are your Beaumonts CC pens or pneumatics? I've been thinking about getting a production line Beaumont (which is a CC pen) down the road, so if you have any of those, would you mind sharing a bit of your experience?

I was wondering about how the converter works, first of all. I generally haven't had the best of luck with converters. Basically, the pen will write a bit, and then the line grows pale, and I have to open the pen and twist the converter to get ink into the feed, and then repeat the process several times before the pen runs out of ink. Annoying. :angry: So I was wondering if the Beaumont (being a CC pen) suffers from this type of issue.

More generally, I like pens that don't skip, don't suffer from hard starts, keep writing properly until they're out of ink, and allow me to write while applying very little pressure. I also like my pens to be rather slender. Pelikan M2xx fits the bill. :) But those Edisons look gorgeous, so if their writing performance is to my liking, I might get one of those at some point.

Edited by Lady P

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• heymatthew

• DrPhilth

• Lady P

• Sham69

Phil,

Glad the Craftsman is still working out for you. I'll throw in my 2 cents as I've had experience with both Edison and Pelikan. If I were to buy one or the other today, it would be the Edison (any Edison) hands-down. I've had three Pelikans and the third was the only one I liked, but only because I spent 50% more to have the nib professionally tuned. For that money, I could have bought an Edison. I've had three Edisons (a Hudson, Pearlette and Morgan) and all three wrote absolutely perfectly right out of the box.

Unposted, an Edison will be a good bit larger than an M200 unposted. Posted, most Edisons are mammoth by comparison. I like this so that's a selling point for me. My M200 had to be posted to be used comfortably (and I, like you, tend to not write posted).

If it were me, I'd get the Edison. The nibs offer less character than the steel nibs on the M200, but the pens are well-made and don't require tinkering right out of the box for the most part. My first Pelikan was a Medium and wrote like a double-broad, the second was a fine and wrote like a broad and the third was an extra-fine that wrote like a broad (all compared to Lamy, TWSBI, Edison, etc.). I finally just quit buying and selling them and sent the third one off to be tuned and it was darn-near writing perfection when I got it back.

If you've got the time and patience and will to do the nib dance, buy the Pelikan. If you're lazy like me and want a pen that you'll love right out of the box, get the Edison.

Last little bit... If you like the Edison lineup, but want an M200-sized pen, look at the Pearlette. Almost identical in size.

Word.

also the large converter that fits in the custom 74, con-70 holds just as much ink as the pelikan 200.

the nibs are consistently quite fine, an f nib is smaller then a pelikan xf. i have never had a bad experience with a pilot nib out of the box.

have a look at gouletpens.com nib nook tool, however they did not have ef in custom 74 to show u

http://s10.postimg.org/3zplx6eo9/Screen_Shot_2014_01_09_at_1_46_13_pm.png

That Pelikan M200 line sample must be from a time when Pelikan actually monitored the width of their nibs. Either that or it's an anomaly and I want that pen. My Pelikan EF wrote a line 3 times that. Even after I had it modified it wrote a line similar to that.

No, that's not blood. That's Noodler's Antietam.

That Pelikan M200 line sample must be from a time when Pelikan actually monitored the width of their nibs. Either that or it's an anomaly and I want that pen. My Pelikan EF wrote a line 3 times that. Even after I had it modified it wrote a line similar to that.

That is interesting my friend, most likely you received one of many dodgy pelikan nibs that are so ridiculously common for a high end pen manufacturer. I would not be surprised if Brian Goulet went through 10 pel extra fins to find one that was actually an EF to put on the nib nook. I would never buy another pel from anyone other then Richard at richardspens.com no affil, but a very satisfied customer

Edited by Sham69

• 2 weeks later...

I believe they are both lovely pens. I like the piston filler on a Pelikan if a demonstrator and the Edison is a lovely every day professional pen to carry that is durable and both have nibs that can be replaced quickly.

Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti, Aurora, vintage Parkers, all wonderful.

Unfortunately I don't have an Edison pen yet, so can't compare, but I've had my Pelikan M200 for nearly 20 years and I still love it - I've bought some higher end Pelikans in the mean time, but I still use the M200 almost daily, so it has been well worth the investment (by my parents at the time). The steel nib is really smooth and nicely springy which I love. I do agree with Heymatthew however in that Pelikan nibs tend to be quite a bit broader than other brands, so if you only want a Fine that's something to consider.

I have six of the M200 and M205 with XF, F and M nibs and I find them thinner than some European nibs. The M400 gold nibs are much broader. The Parker and Waterman M steel nibs are broader. I prefer the F nibs.

I own one of each. I prefer the appearance of the Edison but the function of the Pelikan.

The Beaumont is just pretty, and the large nib looks really nice with the pen.

The Pelikan (I have a demonstrator) is somewhat cheap looking, and so are the colored versions. However, the nib has some flex, and I really like that the ink does not dry up in the Pelikan nib. I do have this problem with the Beaumont. Furthermore, I think the Pelikan flows the ink a lot better. The Beaumont is very stingy with ink.

Add to that a personal bias toward pens with a built-in filling mechanism.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

• 5 months later...

I know it's been a little time since the last post, but I am looking at similar options...

I am kinda digging the Binder flex nib that he makes, but I could get that on a 400 Pelikan or an Edison...

I am wanting it for a daily journaling pen...