"clickable" Ballpoint Pens

Lyndon

Sorry to revisit the post but, just out of curiosity, what was it exactly that I said that you took as personal attack? Only thing that I recall that could be construed as personal was me expressing my doubt that you were formally educated/trained as a designer in a "debate" with one of your fans. So what is your background in design? (Absolutely no offense intended)

Also it's off-topic but have you considered making a clipless version of INK pen a la Nakaya, your inspiration?

I just saw some, let's say interesting, comments on another thread about the Ink and it raised my ire a bit, to be honest. The comments are all deleted now, so it's very possible I could have been mistaken. But, I'm not one to hold a grudge, so lets chalk it up to enthusiasm for the hobby and move along.

My background in design is from art and illustration to a bachelor degree in industrial design. I design and oversee the production of the products I design in the shop where I work. I don't work with an overseas partner to get them produced. I start with sketches and end up with finished parts in hand. I generate the blueprints and 3D models used in production. If I don't design it correctly, it doesn't work. That's a double edged sword for sure. I don't know everything, but I do my best.

We are looking at producing some clipless versions of the Ink, but we would have to wait until the next production run and do them special. We are certainly looking at producing other models of fountain pens, so different aesthetics are surely to be considered.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RNHC

• rminj

• designconcussion

• slide13

We are looking at producing some clipless versions of the Ink, but we would have to wait until the next production run and do them special. We are certainly looking at producing other models of fountain pens, so different aesthetics are surely to be considered.

A clipless Ink would really cool, sign me up! I got an Ink for Christmas and it's great, has the best writing nib of any of my current pens. Would love a tumbled clipless to go with my green clipped one.

Try the Zebra F-301 or the all-metal F-701. Good ballpoints with refills available at almost any major office supply store.

Zebra F-402 is also nice ... and has a gel grip.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

Too many concussions.

Get a Pelikan K215 broad refill.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I use a Parker jotter in stainless steal, how to work with a gel refill exchange and I must say that I am extremely happy with the performance that it gives every single day wouldn't trade it for any other clickable ballpoint.

I have and use the Ink, Retrakt, and the Bolt. I love and highly recommend all three! Welcome to FPN Dan...and keep these new designs coming!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Recently got a Parker Jotter and Parker 45 RB pens from overseas and they write wonderfully. Thanks for all the recommendations for them.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

The advice of finding a good refill that you like is sound. Unlike fountain pens, which demands a quality nib (which comes on the pen and is rarely swapped) for a quality writing experience, a ballpoint pen is totally and completely dependent on its refill. The pen itself is nothing more than a holder for the refill. If you have a refill you can't stand, it doesn't matter how nice the holder is; you won't use the pen. Refill choices largely come down to personal preference. I like Parker Quinkflow Blue, Cross (twisty), Pilot G2 and Fisher medium Space Pen refills. You may differ.

That said, I can recommend some good refill holders for you. For under $10, the Fisher Cap-O-Matic, Parker Jotter (half plastic or Flighter) and the Zebra F-701 are excellent. The Fisher can feel a little cheapish (but it's tough as nails as long as you don't pull the clicky cap off, which isn't easy) and takes only Fisher refills. The Parker Jotter takes all of the Parker type refills, of which there are many, and is light and can feel cheapish as well (modern French production) but are also tough as nails and look good (the click is still satisfying). The F-701 is an excellent pen for the price. It takes Zebra refills and can be modified to take Fisher refills, is heavy, thick stainless steel, well finished, feels solid, the click is smooth, quiet and precise feeling, it's well machined/cast/whatever they use to make this pen, and the Zebra refills write well enough.

For more money you can get into the Fisher AG-7, which is the genuine and original Astronaut pen and has actually been in space, the Karas Kustoms, Tactile Turn and Maxmadco designs. I don't have any experience with any of them, so I can't comment, but they're all well regarded.

Here to help when I know, learn when I don't, and pass on the information to anyone I can :)

• 6 months later...

Vintage Parker Jotter with brass threads. No contest.

The "click" is super-satisfying.

Plenty of third-party re-fills.

The balance is perfect.

took me forever to find one, ended up buying the brass threads mp to convert

Parker jotter would do.

Watch out for Parker refills, ballpoint and gel, they are the greasiest things out there...