"clickable" Ballpoint Pens

Lyndon

In no particular order including pens mentioned earlier.

Parker-type refill:

Twsbi Precision

Rotring RapidPro

Retro Hex-O-Matic

Parker Jotter Stainless Steel

Padrino 600

Pilot G2 / Uniball Signo refill:

TiClick Classic

Tactile Turn Mover

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RNHC

• rminj

• designconcussion

• RMN

I want to like Karas Kustoms pens but the hex bolts bug the heck out of me. It's as if the clips are after-thought, like it was jiggered into the design after it was done. Makes the pens look home-made, like they could not figure out how to seamlessly integrate the clip into the pen.

Edited by RNHC

Vintage Parker Jotter with brass threads. No contest.

The "click" is super-satisfying.

Plenty of third-party re-fills.

The balance is perfect.

Yup, I can still hear the click now.

Vintage Parker Jotter with brass threads. No contest.

The "click" is super-satisfying.

Plenty of third-party re-fills.

The balance is perfect.

This pen was advised as a standard doctors carrying item. They were deemed perfect for an emergency tracheotomy.

Use the extended refill point as a feeder, then remove the end and the refill, and the opening is just big enough to get some air through.

I have used many of them over the years, luckily never for emergency purposes ( :) )

They were good as long as you had the UK made refills. When the refills came from France I went on to other pens. The refills were still under patent then. Later when the patent ended there came better refills and gel refills. But by then I had already switched to my pentel Egonomix, a great pen for people with difficult hands (not me, but professional interest) I was just trying out FPs then.

The Jotter must have been a tremendous success for Parker, but I rank it among the ugliest pens around.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

The issue with Parker Jotters is the weak clip. The clip get bent out too easily. Rotring Freeway is another pen with weak clip. Its clip also get bent out too easily -- I am talking getting bent after normal clipping/unclipping to shirt pockets.

I always found Jotter a bit too small and light so I got Rotring Freeway which was in same basic shape as Jotter except beefier, bigger and heavier. Alas, Freeway also has same weak clip as Jotter.

If one carries pens clipped to their pockets, I'd avoid Parker Jotters and Rotring Freeways.

Not too sure about a weak clip. My brother got one in 1965 as part of his graduation gift and it is still going very strong.

Then I guess it's a case of "they don't make 'em like they used to." I went through two Jotters and a Freeway before I read a version of the definition of insanity.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to like Karas Kustoms pens but the hex bolts bug the heck out of me. It's as if the clips are after-thought, like it was jiggered into the design after it was done. Makes the pens look home-made, like they could not figure out how to seamlessly integrate the clip into the pen.

Probably the answer to that is the TactileTurn pens where the click is attached to the clicker..looks more elegant.

The Jotter clip is definitely a weak point. Yet I recently looked at the IM and Urban and the plastic threads made the Jotter look more durable. But one can drop a Jotter and have little more than a scratch on it due to its weight. Drop one of the new metal pens with the tank like clips and you have a dented pen.

Agree 100% about the Tactile Turn pen. I got one when it was offered through Kickstarter last year. If you're going to make a pen from off-the-shelf parts and machine shop lathed barrel, Tactile Turn did it right. It's definitely more elegantly designed than Karas and it's offered in multiple colors and materials. And I bet it's just as rugged and durable as Karas. Tactile Turn Mover I got is almost the one non-fountain pen that could have made me get rid of all my other non-fountain pens.

If I had to nitpick, I think the seam where the sections unscrew could have been placed better, i.e., not in the middle of the body. I admit that it's hidden very well but more traditional placement toward the bottom of the pen (where the grooves are) would have hidden the seam even better. Also, maybe it's an optical illusion, but despite being a thick pen guy, it looks and feels a tad too chunky to me.

Edited by RNHC

I'm the designer at Karas Kustoms and it's interesting to hear the differing opinions on our pens. On both our Retrakt and with Tactile Turn's pens, the click mechanism is the only "off the shelf part". The bodies, clips, and (in our case) screws are custom. RNHC, even though you hate the socket head screws we use on our clip, I would be willing to send you one to try out, if you are interested. Email me, Dan Bishop, through our contact page and I will get right back to you.

I know not everyone likes the aesthetic of our pens, and that's totally fine with me. If anyone buys one and doesn't like it, just send it back and we will refund your money, no problem. That being said, I will second that the Parker Jotter can't be beat for price and functionality. Even better if you can find a vintage one. The clip is it's downfall, however, and isn't good for clipping on jeans or anything other than a shirt pocket.

Oh and glad to be here on FPN.

I'm the designer at Karas Kustoms and it's interesting to hear the differing opinions on our pens. On both our Retrakt and with Tactile Turn's pens, the click mechanism is the only "off the shelf part". The bodies, clips, and (in our case) screws are custom. RNHC, even though you hate the socket head screws we use on our clip, I would be willing to send you one to try out, if you are interested. Email me, Dan Bishop, through our contact page and I will get right back to you.

I know not everyone likes the aesthetic of our pens, and that's totally fine with me. If anyone buys one and doesn't like it, just send it back and we will refund your money, no problem. That being said, I will second that the Parker Jotter can't be beat for price and functionality. Even better if you can find a vintage one. The clip is it's downfall, however, and isn't good for clipping on jeans or anything other than a shirt pocket.

Thanks for replying to pen fans here.

On my Retrakt I will say I like the width/girth and shape the most...it seems spot on for my hands. Its one of the most comfortable pens I have to write with.

The only real thing I don't like about the Retrakt is the length...this is not your fault..it is made to accommodate longer G2 refills and not just the shorter Parker style refills. So the length is there to make it so versatile with refills. If you were to offer a shorter body for just Parker style refills I would buy that without hesitation..and more Retrakts :)

Thanks for making some great pens.

Hi Dan, welcome to FPN.

I have seen the name of your pens on these pages several times lately, so that must be a nice feeling for you.

I have not checked the brand yet. Do you do BP only? Or the whole range FP/RB/BP/MP?

Anyway, enjoy the forum.

Dick

~

~

Thanks for the offer but no thanks. My design sensibility mostly follows Bauhaus philosophy. Retrakt has a couple of "design" features that completely baffles me. First, why do you have knurling at the top instead of at the "grip"? Isn't the purpose of knurling to provide better grip? I don't hold my pen near the clicker or knocker when I write.

Second, I've read that Retrakt's clip does not flex but is rigid. The clip should flex a bit so that the pen can be clipped. A clip that doesn't clip is just an ornament (not a pretty one at that in Retrakt's case). And, as I've stated before, using the screws to hold the clip just conveys to me that the clip was an afterthought or it's just a "lazy" design as if the designer (no offense) couldn't be bothered to put thoughts into integrating the clip into the design.

Yes, I get it that screwed on clip is Karas Kustoms' "look" or design motif that sets your pens apart from other "brands." But I think Karas Kustoms could have picked its signature design motif better. And, yes, I get it that Karas Kustoms wants to convey "toughness" and"ruggedness" through its design. I simply think the design is not done well.

To me, "industrial" design means "form" follows "function": there is certain honest beauty to it. Retrakt, however, with its nonsensical incorporation of industrial design elements is just "poseur" of industrial design. IMHO, it's the worst of functional design: ugly and useless.

Lastly, I don't think it's all bad. The proportions of Retrakt is better than Tactile Turn. It doesn't look as chunky and unbalanced. Retrakt is more graceful in overall shape.

I think it's great that you are interested in hearing opinions on your pens. I apologize if I come across as tactless but it's just my critical opinion and please take it as such and not personally.

Edited by RNHC

Your remarks made me visit the makers website. Interesting pens. Too bad this shop is on the other side of the pond...

The fact that it baffles you does not say it is without logic...

First of all, some people just like to see something unexpected. The design visually is, how shall I say, a bit modern steampunk. (with that bolt action BP)

There are ways to attach a clip. You could take the Kaweco route, or you could screw a ring on to hold the clip. Or you can screw or rivet it down. Many fountainpens 80 years ago had riveted clips.

For this material it is a good option.

And the knurled feature at the clip attachment is fully functional. It gives grip when sliding the pen in/out your pocket with a sturdy clip. That design will give a good grip, but I do think it will not fit a 3mm thick leather penpouch. It will make sure the pen will not fall out of your shirtpocket, though.

Of course some design decisions could have been different, but do notice the same visual elements return in the various pens, making the line very recognisable.

D.ick

~

~

Like I've stated, my design sensibility is more Bauhaus than anything. For me, every design feature must have a purpose and executed minimally. I don't buy into design for design sake school of thought.

If one likes a certain look, i.e. steampunk, more power to them. Who am I to dictate otherwise? All I am saying is Retrakt is not for me for the reasons I've stated. (If I may comment on your point of knurling at the top of the pen, does one spend more time writing or taking the pen in and out of your pocket? Where on the pen would knurling do more good?)

For a while, I have been searching for that one perfect ballpoint/gel/rollerball clicker that would be with me, on me all the time. Unfortunately I have not yet found it. All the pens I've tried had certain features that I really liked and wanted but none had all the features that I wanted. So the search continues...

Edited by RNHC

Since we're discussing the Retrakts and I own one. One thing that one cannot see on the internet about the pen is the precision. The ballpiont/refill tip does not wiggle around in nose. This is a real plus ... I have Parker pens that have some tip wiggle with Parker refills...confounds me as one would think they could keep things precise for their own pens and refills.

I too have just visited the website after seeing this thread. Attractive pens in my opinion and would certainly interest me if they were available in the UK. Particularly liked the copper versions.

RNHC- I reviewed some of your other posts on some of my other designs and it seems you have a serious issue with the way I design my pens. That's totally fine, but some of the personal attacks were out of line (and seem to be deleted now). My offer stands if you actually want to review one of my designs in person, I will happily send you one to check out, free of charge. The clips on all of our pens, do in fact, flex. I too agree that the Bauhaus philosophy of form follows function is important. I interpret this to mean honesty in materials and application of engineering. Showing hardware and materials in their natural state is important to this philosophy. Not everyone likes to see hardware or raw materials but prefer hidden fasteners and plated or painted surfaces. This is all a matter of taste, but not the same design philosophy. I purposely tried to do something different with my designs and am perfectly aware that not everyone has the same preferences. Why design a pen just like one that already exists? That is just being lazy (no offense).

I would love to see what your ideal click pen would be, please feel free to sketch it up and post it for review.

Since we're discussing the Retrakts and I own one. One thing that one cannot see on the internet about the pen is the precision. The ballpiont/refill tip does not wiggle around in nose. This is a real plus ... I have Parker pens that have some tip wiggle with Parker refills...confounds me as one would think they could keep things precise for their own pens and refills.

How do you like your pen? What refill are you using? Most refills are within several thousandths of an inch in diameter to each other at the tip, so some fit better than others. I try to average the gap to reduce the "wiggle" that can occur with other pens. Tolerances can be finicky and it's always better to play it safe if you have different vendors making various parts for the same product. Parker probably does this to be sure everything works together every time. Thanks for your feedback, it makes for better pens in the future.

I too have just visited the website after seeing this thread. Attractive pens in my opinion and would certainly interest me if they were available in the UK. Particularly liked the copper versions.

We ship to the UK all the time. If you wait for a sale and maybe combine an order with a friend, you can get away with pricing just as good, or better, than those in the states. Now VAT is a different story...