Help Entering The World Of Fountain Pens?

Apprenti

Hello everyone.

First of all I wanted to say thank you to those who've made my introduction into the world of FPN so welcoming, it's much appreciated.

Some of you may have seen my 'Bought a Flex Pen' thread. If so you'll know that I bought a Noodler's Creaper as my first fountain pen and it's been 'misbehaving', to say the least. I still want to try and fix it (thanks those who've helped!) but right now I think it might be time to cut my losses and get a better pen.

Currently I don't own any fountain pens, and I want to get my first. However, I'm not particularly well off (I'm still a student) and I definitely can't afford an expensive pen. I'd like a flexible-nibbed pen that I can practice Copperplate styles with, but apart from that I'm pretty open to suggestions.

I'm completely new to fountain pens and I could use some help. I've already been offered some good advice but I'd like to get this sorted. Where are all the UK fountain pen shops? What brands are cheap and good to look out for? What should I look for in my first pen?

I know this thread is a bit obscure, but I just wanted to ask for some help entering into the world of fountain pens and to thank those who've helped me out (thank you!).

Many thanks,

Joe

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apprenti

• PAKMAN

• Brian C

• WaskiSquirrel

Top Posters In This Topic

I would recommend getting a dip pen for the copperplate and a more stiff nibbed fountain pen. Flex nibs cost a lot for a new pen users.

Hi,

I've got a couple of old dip pens and plenty of (admittedly old and rusty) nibs. I want something to practice with on the train, between lessons etc etc etc.

Actually, I've just received a PM about cheap(ish) fountain pens which has been very helpful so this thread may not be necessary.

Thanks,

Joe

The FPR Dilli might be a good one to try!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Something to think about, but I'd like to get my first good vintage pen, so I'm talking with someone (who's very generously devoted his time to the subject) about the matter at the moment.

Thank you though,

Joe

I have better luck with the Ahab and Konrad versions of the Noodler's brand.

There are honestly not a lot of flex fountain pens out there. However, there are lots of other great fountain pens if you don't mind about the flex so much. TWSBI has no flex, but it's a nice brand. Pilot and Platinum also have some nice pens at all price points.

I nearly hit "Post" when another option occurred to me. I own a Pelikan m205 demonstrator. It is surprisingly flexy. You might look at this. It's quite a nice pen. I don't know if the other Pelikans at this end of the price range share the same nib.

Proud resident of the least visited state in the nation!

Dip pens are cheap, will give you the flexibility you desire if you get the right nibs. From my understanding if you are right handed you should get offset nib holders.

You will have to learn to draw the letters., if you don't work at it, it won't happen.

I'd suggest getting a regular fountain pen also.

I understand the cheap Japanese ones have very nice nibs.

You should spend three days to a week reading at Richard Binder's com to get the basics of fountain pens.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

A good general purpose starter FP, that has to be one of the best deal around, is the Pilot MR.

The US version (the Metropolitan) is only $18 USD, including the ink converter (for bottle ink).

The Lamy Safari is a commonly recommended starter pen, but you jump up to about $40-45 USD for it with a converter.

Some of the Chinese and Japanese pens are great and at low cost.

Esterbrooks are probably one of the cheaper decent vintage pens. But you should make sure that the ink sac has been replaced, or plan to have someone replace it for you. The neat thing about the Esterbrooks is, like the Lamy, if you don't like the nib on the pen, it is easy to change to a different nib. You just unscrew the old nib and screw in the new nib.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Sailor make a cheap caligraphy pen (not flexible but with a special nib) that you can use i think and has the look of theyr more expensive models so will be very nice for you

A people can be great withouth a great pen but a people who love great pens is surely a great people too...

Pens owned actually: MB 146 EF;Pelikan M200 SE Clear Demonstrator 2012 B;Parker 17 EF;Parker 51 EF;Waterman Expert II M,Waterman Hemisphere M;Waterman Carene F and Stub;Pilot Justus 95 F.

Nearly owned: MB 149 B(Circa 2002);Conway Stewart Belliver LE bracket Brown IB.

I don't recommend flex pens to newbie's.Something with a regular nib. Get used to writing with a gountain pen first. You can always get a flex pen later.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

For regular pens, look for the Parker Vector, Pilot MR (check which kind of cartridge it uses, some use Pilot's and some use the regular kind), Sheaffer VFM, Rotring ArtPen (I think that's the pen name). There's also the Bic Easy Clic and Schneider school pens.

If you're willing to order online, you can get all kinds of cheap pens from the good Japanese brands (Chinese pens can be a pain for a new person). Pilot's under $20 offerings include the Varsity/VPen, Penmanship, Plumix, 78G, Metropolitan/MR, and Kakuno. Sailor has the Clear Candy, and Platinum also has several.

For flex pens, the entry-level choices are limited to the Noodler's pens and the Fountain Pen Revolution flex pens. Flex pens are hard to use at first, and kind of a different ball game than regular pens, so maybe leave those for later or get one in addition to a regular pen. Maybe try monoline Copperplate or Spencerian and then when you get a flex pen you will know the letter forms and how to use the pen better.

Edited by WirsPlm

Hi everyone.

I'm not new to flex writing, just the fountain pens. I've been very generously offered a vintage flex pen for an outstandingly generous price so I think my problem's solved.

My dad owns a couple of Italics and I practice with them, but flex writing(copperplate) is more my thing.

Thanks,

Joe