The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Levenger True Writer Cafe Au Lait - Metal Section

levenger metal section true writer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Solstice

Solstice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:59

Anyone have experience to share with the Levenger Cafe Au Lait pen, or one of the other Levenger pens with metal sections? I'm considering breaking my no-metal-sections rule just because I really think this pen is pretty, and right now the price is right. But I worry that the section will keep getting slippery and need to be wiped off all the time. I've never owned a pen with a metal section, so I don't know how much of an issue that generally is, or if some pens are worse than others.

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 00:45

Some metal sections bother me but the shape on the Levenger seems to work well for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 debraji

debraji

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:06

I've got the French Impressionist, Teal Appeal, and Silver Anniversary pens, all with the metal section--and a half-dozen True Writers with plastic sections. I've never really noticed a difference. They're all very comfortable to write with.

Edited by debraji, 03 January 2014 - 02:06.

#4 Joe in Seattle

Joe in Seattle

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 05:15

This is interesting for me, too. I have been a fan of the Cafe au Lait but I have been reluctant because of the metal section. Hmmm, may need to shop.
"how do I know what I think until I write it down?"

#5 Solstice

Solstice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 14:35

Well, I took long enough in mulling it over, but last night I ordered the Foliage pen, which was on sale in medium and broad nib sizes and also has a metal section. I do have other pens from Levenger that I like, so I figure I can just exchange it if I really hate the section.

If anyone else is planning to shop there soon, the code FANFARE worked for me - 1 cent shipping on orders of $50 or more.

#6 Chi Town

Chi Town

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,791 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 January 2014 - 14:57

I have one of these pens, cafe au lait and it writes beautifully! I like everything about it........Especially the color.

Mike

Visconti Last Lira aka Luigi Einaudi #63 of 975, Stipula Yellow Da Vinci Carbon Fiber T, Stipula Model T, Vintage Fountain Pens, Delta Amerigo Vespucci LE, Pelikan Special Edition Sahara F/P, TWSBI Micarta, Danitrio Mikado, Genkai, Nakaya Decapod Cigar, Watley in Woodgrain, Marlen Yellow Liberty LE, Santa FE Style Custom "51" made by Ralph Prather, president New Mexico Pen Collector's Club.

#7 Solstice

Solstice

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 14:21

So this pen finally came and I've been writing with it for around a week. Got lucky with an issue-free medium nib and so far, the section hasn't become slimy or uncomfortable at all. Now I'm reconsidering a couple of Visconti pens that I liked the looks of, but had disqualified because they had metal sections.

This reminded me of how for a long time I didn't try Lamy Safari, because I thought I could never write with that section. When I finally did get one, I loved the section, and it actually helped me improve my handwriting. I grew up writing with an unorthodox grip and retrained myself over the past year to use the tripod grip with the Safari. My pre-tripod grip journals don't even look like the same person wrote them.

#8 SFPenBoy

SFPenBoy

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:16

I just received my Levenger True Writer Cafe au lait in B-nib today. So far a beautiful looking pen with a nice size and balance posted or not. I have the True Writer in the Kyoto (M-nib) as well. I get occasional hard starts and skips but nothing too bad. The nib is pretty flexible and smooth. They are nice pens. Hope you don't have too many issues with yours.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: levenger, metal section, true writer

Sponsored Content

|