The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Evolving Nib Preference...

nib broad double broad nib size width nibs oblique medium fine extra

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Aurko

Aurko

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 23:26

I've always looked towards fine nibs, and probably always will. The finer, the better (Western fines are no longer fine enough. Vintage fine pens are a bit better though). That hasn't changed but a little twist to that is that I've been looking into flexible nibs. They write fine enough (close to a Japanese fine, based on the flex nibs that I've tried) normally and are fun to sketch with and if you put some effort into it, can add flair to your writing.

Sponsored Content

#22 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,580 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 23:08

I started with F and EF and have slowly -- having tried a wide gamut of nibs over about thirty years of using fountain pens, from SEF all the way through 3.8mm -- re-calibrated my nib preferences to EF and F.

I do like the other sizes -- they have their uses -- and I like using dip pens with flex nibs, but my workhorse pens have EF and F nibs (or Japanese F and Western EF nibs - because Japanese F nibs tend to write finer than Western EF nibs).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#23 searcher18

searcher18

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 23:24

I started using a fountain pen because my handwriting was not legible using a ballpoint  and an Italic nib forced me to keep the pen on the paper. After my hand writing improved I went to B and BB nibs because the bigger the nib the smoother the hand feel. Now I use Fine and Flex nibs. My handwriting looks best with Flex nibs but it was difficult learning to use them. My favorites are Wahl Adjustable nibs.

#24 Runnin_Ute

Runnin_Ute

Super Pinks member:

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,290 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 15:57

I have EF through 1.1 mm and enjoy them all. The most recent acquisition was a Broad for my Konrad to replace the stock nib. But my workhorse nibs are mostly Fine's. Lately, the ones getting the most use are a Medium in my M205 which is narrower than other mediums I have.

I haven't had the B long and still figuring some things out with it. Right now I have the Konrad loaded with 54th Massachusetts. I wanted to try it for signatures. With the lowest bidder paper we have at the office it isn't working like I had hoped and I will put something else in it next. Not sure what yet. I had Apache Sunset in it, but want to try some others in it.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

#25 searcher18

searcher18

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 January 2014 - 17:22

I have started using a fine nib for writing long notes and then use a different flex pen with the same color ink to sign the note.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nib, broad, double broad, nib size, width, nibs, oblique, medium, fine, extra

Sponsored Content

|