Advice On A Decadpod: To Twist Or Not To Twist? Writer, Cigar, Piccolo?

vam272

I'm looking for advice for the next Nakaya (just got the sandblasted briar and it is a pleasure to hold in the hand) and have an Aka-tamenuri cigar.

I am hoping Nakaya can make me a Decapod in MIDORI,

but I don't know whether to ask for twist or regular.

I like the Piccolo as I see it in photographs, but wonder what the difference is between sizes when writing.

I am tempted to get a Stopper on it, but probably will not. I think a decapod in midori color would be smashing.
Maybe for simplicity, the straight version is better?

I'm sure there will be various opinions about this, but they may be able to help me.

Thanks.

Vincent

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sarahfar

• vam272

• KarloT

• raging.dragon

I personally like the twist better :) I may be wrong, but I think the Piccolo is a model, as opposed to being clipped or not, i.e., writer or cigar.

Midori or tame-midori/midori tamenuri? If it's a plain colour I'd be tempted to get the simpler round pen. For tamenuri a faceted pen like the decapod shows off the colours better. I prefer the twist over the straight decapod; however, the difference is slight.

Ao Tamenuri would be something to look at. There is also a Toki which pink shows through and Shiro which is a whiter yellow I believe there are examples somewhere here.....

I like the Piccolo as I see it in photographs, but wonder what the difference is between sizes when writing.

Take a look at these for Piccolo sizing:

uncapped side by side pic: lamy 2000, piccolo, portable, pelican 800, platinum (?)

nakaya blog

Piccolo Writer Heki-tamenuri

http://fpgeeks.com/2013/06/hands-on-with-the-nakaya-piccolo-writer-heki-tamenuri-fountain-pen/

I will add my opinion and for me the twist version shows off the finish the best. Some day I will get one more Nakaya and it will be a second Decamped twist in a second finish.

Paul

Amos

The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Albert Einstein

The photo below (from nibs.com site) looks like a decapod in midori to me. I have asked John Mottishaw about this.

Midori-tamenuri would also seem interesting.

There is no piccolo model that I see, so I was wrong about that. So it is cigar or writer.

I think it would look better without clip. Not sure about stopper, but frog is cute.

Thanks to all. I am still thinking…..

http://www.nibs.com/Nakaya-Rolling-Stoppers-Frog.html

Maybe someone will jump in that particular pic isn't a decapod. There is a midori ishime piccolo decapod, but I haven't ever seen midori tamenuri......

Best,

And now that I think of it, there are some high dollar dragons where the midiori shows through the tamenuri so who knows maybe they will make one up for you at a premium.

Edited by sarahfar

Maybe someone will jump in that particular pic isn't a decapod. There is a midori ishime piccolo decapod, but I haven't ever seen midori tamenuri......

Best,

And now that I think of it, there are some high dollar dragons where the midiori shows through the tamenuri so who knows maybe they will make one up for you at a premium.

Thanks. I was afraid that it was an optical illusion, caused by lighting. But it did look GOOD!

pretty sure that isn't a decapod - the edges on the decapod are more pronounced unlike danitrio's octagons. and yes! if you were going for a decapod (or a twist) I'd say no clip :) it's less likely to roll around anyway.

If you really want a Decapod, why not get the Heki-Tamenuri. That green would be gorgeous in a decapod!

Fair winds and following seas.

If you really want a Decapod, why not get the Heki-Tamenuri. That green would be gorgeous in a decapod!

I have thought of it as a back-up plan, but the green in the Heki-Tamenuri is a different shade of green.

Best,

I've yet to se a midori tamenuri from Nakaya, but Danitrio do a beautiful tame-midori (I believe it's black over the dark green midori).

Thanks. Not being able to get the Midori I'd like, I'm beginning to move toward Mini Decapod Kuro Tamenuir Ishinanshitsu

Take a look at these for Piccolo sizing:

uncapped side by side pic: lamy 2000, piccolo, portable, pelican 800, platinum (?)

nakaya blog

Piccolo Writer Heki-tamenuri

http://fpgeeks.com/2013/06/hands-on-with-the-nakaya-piccolo-writer-heki-tamenuri-fountain-pen/

Can't help it; have to chime in that that was my Piccolo heki tamenuri. Then I traded it to Loren (lsmith42) for his matte black Piccolo with ruthenium-plated clip. BUT we both kept our nibs (his was a BB, mine the stubbed EF), so his heki has a ruthenium-plated nib, and my matte black has a gold nib. (Laughing.) I love it!

As for to twist or not to twist: my first inclination was to urge no twist! But, ya know, the twist is kindv nice. In other words, no help. Sorry.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

Thanks. Not being able to get the Midori I'd like, I'm beginning to move toward Mini Decapod Kuro Tamenuir Ishinanshitsu

I have a heki Mini Decapod, and it is much smaller than the regular Decapod. It's the length of the Piccolo, but because of the faceting, the diameter is a bit slimmer. It is a lovely pen - and comfortable to hold (even though it looks small) (and elegant).

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

I have both the Twist and the standard Decapod. The Twist is a a fatter pen if that matters.

Both models handle very well and I have no trouble using either. Both look elegant as the edges showcase the base colors extremely well. It's not an effect you would get from the round bodies.

I don't exactly know what shade of midori you are leaning towards, but some of the Ao tamenuris are a bright green more than a bluish or Teal green.

LeighR has a sample which she discussed in one of her blog posts.

http://www.leighreyes.com/?p=4130

Good luck on your search. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either.

Midori is a true green. Ao differs from pen to pen, but mine is more of a blue green teal color depending on the light like patina on copper. There is definitely green and pale blue in it. It is a very beautiful color.....