New 17 Year Old Fountain Pen Lover

Jdp2496

Thank you! And your handwriting isn't anywhere where mine used to be. I could barely read my own sometimes. haha

From what I can tell, the .6mm nib is about the size of a broad, but has some line variation. Am I correct in saying that?

Pretty much. It looks nicer when I'm being careful.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jdp2496

• Sailor Kenshin

• Scribblesoften

• idazle

I'll have to get one sometime. As of now, my PayPal is dry. I'll certainly keep that nib in mind! Is Nemosine the only company that makes the .6? Or do others make that size?

As in the drying time is long? Or does it smear after it's dry, too?

The Targa is a beautiful pen. I really love the unique nib design of the pen, but it's still out of my price range for now. I'd love to own one sometime. Are there variations of the italic nib, or is there on set size? By the way, what color ink is that?

Drying time very long, though it can be shortened by diluting somewhat the ink.

I don't know whether the Targas came on different italic sizes. These nibs are very rare in Targa pens and so far I've only seen the straight and the oblique versions shown on the pics above.

The ink is the long discontinued Montblanc Racing Green, though I'm as happy with Sailor's Epinard Green.

And talking about green inks, today I'm really glad to have unexpectedly found at home a bottle of Parker Penman Emerald which I thought I had lost years ago. I bought it back in 1996 and has been forgotten in a closet ever since.

Edited by idazle

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

What would be another ink that is similar in color with better properties? How is Diamine Sapphire Blue?

The Targa is still a beautiful pen, it's been added to my wish list for later.

It's a shame that the inks like Racing Green and the Penman inks have been discontinued. I'll have to take a look at Sailor's Epinard Green.

That's awesome that you found it! Like finding money in your pocket you didn't know you had, must have been exciting. I was born the year you bought that ink. haha But inks never go bad.

Like finding money in your pocket you didn't know you had, must have been exciting.

You got it!!! :D

Zenbat buru hainbat aburu

It could also represent an oblique italic :)

Seriously, I've got one!!

You've given me Sheaffer envy. Looks like a very groovy pen.

I'll have to get one sometime. As of now, my PayPal is dry. I'll certainly keep that nib in mind! Is Nemosine the only company that makes the .6? Or do others make that size?

The Singularity may not be the only one, but it's not a size I've seen elsewhere.

Hi John

Congrats on discovering fountain pens. And at 17,when perhaps teenagers (like mine) are smitten with anything electronic beginning with an 'i', but not worried about writing. I've never seen texting assist one's writing skills.

I do use Lamy fountain pens, including safari. They are a very good introduction to f/pens, especially if starting out.I prefer a broad nib. I like the richness and depth upon the page. But each unto his / her own.

I like turquoise and violet. They really stand out & make a statement. Exactly what a F/Pen should do. :)

Cheers

thanks & best wishes, Captain Nib

...keep nibbing on...

Don't look down on someone, unless helping them up :D

Sailor: I guess i'll keep it on my wish list then! It seems like fun.

Captain Nib: Believe it or not, I actually don't have a cell phone. It may sound crazy, but we still have a land-line. I have my iMac and an iPod for listening to music, but no cell phone. I'm not too concerned about it, though! Anyway, I'd much rather actually talk to someone on the phone or face-to-face than text them.

I enjoy my Safari, and can only image that the other Lamy pens are equally great. What's your favorite ink?

John

Hi! I'm also 17-it's fun to see people our age using fountain pens! People usually look at me like an alien from outer space when they see me writing...

Some advice I could have used as a beginner a year ago- people might accidentally break your pens. Be careful if you're brave enough to let someone your pen- one forceful stroke or an accidental drop can be disastrous! I learned this lesson alognside an $85 repair bill for my dearest pen after a friend dropped it nib down. My new solution is to always have a small ballpoint pen on me.

Student to student: if there's Staples stores where you live, their notebooks and other paper products made in Brazil are reputed to behave very well for a good price-I've seen this myself. Also, I really love my Rhorher and Klingner Salix (which is an iron gall ink) because it's so well behaved on all the paper I run into, especially exams, and it's pretty much permanent.

Regards,
Charlie

My pens: Two Parker 45s, a Parker Jotter, a Pilot Custom 74 smoke demonstrator, a Lamy Studio, a Parker Sonnet Ciselé, and a Duofold International Citrine

Hello cwhite5! I know what you mean. I usually get the strange look and then a "woah...what are you using?" and sometimes a "that's weird" or "that's so cool."

I don't let anyone touch my pens. I'll show my Safari to people, but I don't let it leave my hand.

All my notebooks are the Staples Accel notebooks, and the paper behaves surprisingly well. But then again, it's one of the few I've used.

I'll have to look into R&K Salix. It seems like a fairly nice blue-black.

Best regards,

John

I remember seeing somewhere that the nib in the Pilot Plumix pens are .6 italics. I also seem to remember seeing that they are compatible with Metropolitans. My son has a Plumix and my wife has a Metropolitan. I will have to check tomorrow.

Hi John,

how I envy you for being 17 and starting out with fountain pens - imagine what you collection will be like when you're 35 like me :) Protip: Tell everyone you are collecting pens because sometimes they will give you pens, such as Mont Blancs.

<p>Hors d'oeuvres must be obeyed at all times.</p>

Well, well, no cell phone ...and you'd rather talk on the land phone anyway. Pretty refreshing stuff. Now if I can just prise away the ipad and iphone from our 16 year old....I've left my LAMY safari in clear view...but hasn't taken the bait (yet). I'll need a tablet stylus cleverly designed to look like a FP.

Darcy1978 - that's a good idea. I'll start now...I'm collecting FP's, please send me one !!

cwhite5 - good on you...another teenage collector. I like the alien comment. Just tell people you've got the latest apple gadget .. has an inbuilt keyboard (called a nib) and you control the action in the palm of your hand by moving a few fingers. They'll all want one.

Cheers everyone from the captain.

thanks & best wishes, Captain Nib

...keep nibbing on...

Don't look down on someone, unless helping them up :D

I remember seeing somewhere that the nib in the Pilot Plumix pens are .6 italics. I also seem to remember seeing that they are compatible with Metropolitans. My son has a Plumix and my wife has a Metropolitan. I will have to check tomorrow.

I thought of that, too, after I got a letter from someone written with a Plumix.

They used to be seven bucks. And come with a cart so they are ready to go. How can you beat that?

Scribblesoften: By the looks of some of the photos and reviews online, I think that's correct. Let us know when you find out!

Darcy1978: Now it seems that next to no one my age likes fountain pens. There are far too many distractions. And there are some very kind people out there that do such things, I know it. :)

cwhite5 - good on you...another teenage collector. I like the alien comment. Just tell people you've got the latest apple gadget .. has an inbuilt keyboard (called a nib) and you control the action in the palm of your hand by moving a few fingers. They'll all want one.

Cheers everyone from the captain.

Captain nib: The best part is, you won't even be lying. They'd all get one and find out how amazing they are.

And nope, no cell phone or iPad. Just my iMac and my iPod for music. (And looking at pens) Hopefully they'll catch on...just tell them the "latest apple gadget" deal!

Sailor Kenshin: I think they run around $12.00 now. I'll have to try one later on!

$12 for the Plumix puts it on almost-even footing with the Nemo...but the Plumix uses Pilot-only carts.

If I still had an extra Plumix I'd send it on. But no, alas.

Ahhh, wait...

Still under $8.

Edited by Sailor Kenshin

Interesting link. I thought the Plumix only had one nib available. I will have to check what my son has on his. Could this be a new source for inexpensive nibs for Metropolitan and other compatible Pilot pens? Veddy interesting.

Sailor: Oops! I forgot to check JetPens. I guess they're still a good deal.

Scribblesoften: From what I can tell, they all have "Medium flat Italic" nibs. Which are probably the .6 mm. Maybe it will fit on the Metro. Yes, very interesting.

Based on our conversation, I did some comparing and took a couple of admittedly low quality photos. The nibs and feeds I opted to compare are raided from a Pilot Plumix, a Pilot Metropolitan, and a Pilot 78G.

The nibs and feeds are the same shapes and sizes. The 78G nib is gold colored while the others are steel. The feed from the Plumix is black while the others are gray. I tested all three with the same body and section and the same ink.

I added the Lamy 1.1 to the comparison as it has been mentioned earlier in this thread. The 78G broad/stub appears to be about the same size as the 1.1. The Plumix nib is tipped and could be easily used daily writing.

I am a huge fan of these Pilot nibs on a cost to performance basis.

Sorry, no scanner.

Edited by Scribblesoften