The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New 17 Year Old Fountain Pen Lover

new novice enthusiast lamy private reserve ink avacado safari twsbi pilot

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#21 Clancy

Clancy

- Toasted Head -

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 16:14

Hello John. Greetings from out here in northern California and a warm welcome to FPN. It's great to have you here with us.

"Intolerance betrays want of faith in one's cause." - Gandhi -

Sponsored Content

#22 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 21:55

Thank you Sasha Royale, MisterBoll, VirtuThe3rd, and Clancy!

Sasha Royale-

The Safari that was stolen was in fact a used pen, but very lightly so. I only had it for a few days, and it was gone. I learned very quickly that a fountain pen should stay by me, not in my pencil pouch. It may have not been an incredibly expensive lesson, but not a cheap one for me. haha. I can honestly say I like a lot about the Lamy Safari. It is smooth, rugged, and feels good in my hand. I do quite enjoy that the clip is easy to use and not too firm or loose, so it goes in my pocket and stays there. There isn't much I can say I don't like about the Safari other than I'm not too sure if I'm crazy about the finger notches, as on the gloss finishes it feels a bit strange sometimes. If I could only change one thing it would be that it had a little bit more weight to it (not much). If the cap were a bit tighter when posted I would also enjoy that. Otherwise I think it's a great pen! Thank you!

MisterBoll- 

Thank you! I can't wait until I finally start gathering some more pens and inks! 

Merry Christmas

John

#23 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,288 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:52

Hello John... :W2FPN:

I'm a Safari user too. Great pens, that you can take anywhere...too bad that you had one stolen!

#24 FlyFast

FlyFast

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:07

Welcome from a fellow Michigander!
You probably already know it but the nibs on the Safari and the Joy are interchangeable. I keep a 1.1 in my Safari all the time.
If you like fine nibs, consider the Pilots. My fine nib Prera with a fine nib is my workhorse pen. I own two and just ordered a third the an italic nib.

#25 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:19

Hello mallymal1! I, too think that the Safari is a pretty good pen, and apparently someone else thinks so too! It's upsetting seeing as to how I'm down to only two FP's now and am not exactly able to replace it any time soon! Oh well, I guess they decided to do the opposite of PIF and what goes around comes around.

Hello FlyFast! Glad to see one more Michigander on here! And I haven't tried the 1.1mm nibs yet, I'd love to get one sometime, but at the moment that's not exactly an option for me. I have the 1.5mm in my Joy, but it's more for Calligraphy. Is the 1.1 suitable for everyday writing? I do like my fine nib Lamy for everyday writing and would love to eventually get a Prera as well, they aren't exactly cheap though! What size italic did you get for your Prera? Let me know how you like it once you receive it!

Merry Christmas!

John

#26 Scribblesoften

Scribblesoften

Retrogrouch

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 17:26

I read somewhere that the prera nibs are the same as those in the Metropolitan, the 78G, and the Plumix. Different widths and colors but essentially the same nib. You might try one of those pens to see if you like them as they are less expensive than the Prera.

#27 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,882 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 18:44

Hello mallymal1! I, too think that the Safari is a pretty good pen, and apparently someone else thinks so too! It's upsetting seeing as to how I'm down to only two FP's now and am not exactly able to replace it any time soon! Oh well, I guess they decided to do the opposite of PIF and what goes around comes around.

Hello FlyFast! Glad to see one more Michigander on here! And I haven't tried the 1.1mm nibs yet, I'd love to get one sometime, but at the moment that's not exactly an option for me. I have the 1.5mm in my Joy, but it's more for Calligraphy. Is the 1.1 suitable for everyday writing? I do like my fine nib Lamy for everyday writing and would love to eventually get a Prera as well, they aren't exactly cheap though! What size italic did you get for your Prera? Let me know how you like it once you receive it!

Merry Christmas!

John

Welcome aboard!

A lot of people love the Safari. One of their models, the Charcoal, has a matte finish. And the nibs are very easy to swap.

#28 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 02:00

I'll certainly consider that, Scribblesoften! 

And thank you, Sailor! The Charcoal happens to be the Safari that I am left with now. The gloss one was stolen from me. I love that the nibs are so easy to swap. I put my 1.5mm in my Safari sometimes because it is easier to carry.

Happy New Year! :)

John

#29 migo984

migo984

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,704 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 05:25

John - your package is on its way.
Happy new year

Verba volant, scripta manent

#30 GRJP

GRJP

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:22

Welcome!

Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen. - Winston Churchill

#31 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 13:22

Thank you, migo984! Happy new year! :)

And thank you, GRJP!

#32 Wolverine1

Wolverine1

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,513 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 15:05

Hello John and mallymal1 !!!!!! Good to see fellow folks from the Enchanted Mitten here on FPN!!!!!! :)

So, where are you guys located at? I , along with a few other pen friends from FPN are here in Ann Arbor, and we have organized get-togethers thrice.  If you are near Ann Arbor,  or elsewhere in Michigan,  keep checking the Clubs/Meetings sub-forum of FPN. We will put announcements about out upcoming get-together soon.

It is a good meeting where you can try out different pens, nibs, papers etc, and also get to meet a great group of friends!!!!! :)

Edited by Wolverine1, 31 December 2013 - 15:07.

#33 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:09

Thank you Wolverine1! I'm glad to hear from another Michigander. I've sent you a PM! Thank you for sharing this info with me!

Happy New Year!

#34 Wahl

Wahl

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:37

Welcome to FPN, John !

#35 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 December 2013 - 16:53

Thank you, Wahl!

#36 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 05:16

2013_12_31_11_51_52_pm.png

#37 VertOlivia

VertOlivia

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 17:25

Welcome John, from another Michigan Geek. I have the MiniTwsbi and love it, still getting to know my Lamy Safari.

Be sure to check out the ink samples available from Goulet and isellpens.com! 

[no affiliation, just a fan]

Edited by Aquinata, 01 January 2014 - 17:25.

"Ravens play with lost time."

#38 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 18:28

Thank you Aquinata! Great to hear from another Michigander! :)

#39 Sach

Sach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:45

Welcome John! I hope you enjoy success in life with a fountain pen in your pocket...!

#40 Jdp2496

Jdp2496

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:55

Thank you Sach! I appreciate it :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new, novice, enthusiast, lamy, private reserve, ink, avacado, safari, twsbi, pilot

Sponsored Content

|