Bonhams Fine Writing Instruments Auction Dec 2013

voukephalas

The Bonhams Fine Writing Instruments auction is/was today (still ongoing as of this writing).

https://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21041/

Several montblancs across many price points, but nothing rarer than a handful of 888 editions. Some good prices also, many for better than eBay asking, though not necessarily transaction, prices.

I myself looked away from the monitor for a moment and missed out on a sealed Marquise de Pompadour 4810 -both examples went unsold, so I suspect either the reserve was too high or not much interest.

I recommend checking out the results to see what the market prices are on any pens FPN members might be interested in getting.

I did win a different pen, though those who get caught up in emotional bidding should probably stay away...

Edited by voukephalas

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pen Nut

• voukephalas

• adelaidepen

• Amylein17

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was really tempted by this little unique pen - sadly my absent bid was slightly too low. Still - picked up a 888 for $2500 hammer price :-)

post-30571-0-40087400-1387425581.jpg

Montblanc POA Series

I saw that one too!

I actually intend to register for these auctions every year from now on.

I wanted several pieces but have added too many this year as it is, so walked away with a sealed 4810 for a fair price.

Edited by voukephalas

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

I was really tempted by this little unique pen - sadly my absent bid was slightly too low. Still - picked up a 888 for $2500 hammer price :-)

I also bid on that 'exploding watch' by Ariel Kullock. It was inspired by a Hemmingway apparently.

Chased a couple of others but us over here in England have to factor in shipping / insurance and import taxes (vat puts 20% on straight away) so missed out by a bit.

One day I hope to be actually at one of these auctions in person which would be a great holiday, well for me anyway !

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

• 2 weeks later...

For those that are interested the 'exploding watch' pen sold for £2,139 ($3,500) including premium

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

I watched that auction and scored a DUPONT: St. Petersburg Platinum & Black Lacquer Limited Edition 300 Fountain Pen and Montblanc 3 piece set (MONTBLANC: Meisterstück Black & Sterling Silver Pinstripe 146 Fountain Pen, with Ballpoint & Mechanical Pencil). Probably paid to much, but i thought I did pretty good restraining myself.