The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Bonhams Fine Writing Instruments Auction Dec 2013

bonhams

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 voukephalas

voukephalas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 22:02

The Bonhams Fine Writing Instruments auction is/was today (still ongoing as of this writing).

https://www.bonhams....auctions/21041/

Several montblancs across many price points, but nothing rarer than a handful of 888 editions. Some good prices also, many for better than eBay asking, though not necessarily transaction, prices.

I myself looked away from the monitor for a moment and missed out on a sealed Marquise de Pompadour 4810 -both examples went unsold, so I suspect either the reserve was too high or not much interest.

I recommend checking out the results to see what the market prices are on any pens FPN members might be interested in getting.

I did win a different pen, though those who get caught up in emotional bidding should probably stay away...

Edited by voukephalas, 18 December 2013 - 22:03.

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

Sponsored Content

#2 adelaidepen

adelaidepen

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:59

I was really tempted by this little unique pen - sadly my absent bid was slightly too low. Still - picked up a 888 for $2500 hammer price :-)

Attached Images

• image.jpg

Montblanc POA Series

#3 voukephalas

voukephalas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 19:00

I saw that one too!

I actually intend to register for these auctions every year from now on.

I wanted several pieces but have added too many this year as it is, so walked away with a sealed 4810 for a fair price.

Edited by voukephalas, 20 December 2013 - 19:00.

The mediator between the head and hands must be the heart -Metropolis

#4 meiers

meiers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,422 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 15:16

Thanks.

#5 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 December 2013 - 16:09

I was really tempted by this little unique pen - sadly my absent bid was slightly too low. Still - picked up a 888 for $2500 hammer price :-)

I also bid on that 'exploding watch' by Ariel Kullock. It was inspired by a Hemmingway apparently.

Chased a couple of others but us over here in England have to factor in shipping / insurance and import taxes (vat puts 20% on straight away) so missed out by a bit.

One day I hope to be actually at one of these auctions in person which would be a great holiday, well for me anyway !

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#6 Pen Nut

Pen Nut

"You open one safe door and another one closes"

• Member - Gold

• 6,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 January 2014 - 14:41

For those that are interested the 'exploding watch' pen sold for £2,139 ($3,500) including premium

Money may not make you happy but I would rather cry in a Rolls-Royce

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

#7 Amylein17

Amylein17

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 January 2014 - 17:54

I watched that auction and scored a DUPONT: St. Petersburg Platinum & Black Lacquer Limited Edition 300 Fountain Pen and Montblanc 3 piece set (MONTBLANC: Meisterstück Black & Sterling Silver Pinstripe 146 Fountain Pen, with Ballpoint & Mechanical Pencil). Probably paid to much, but i thought I did pretty good restraining myself.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bonhams

Sponsored Content

|