Parker 51 Colour Identification Help Required (Nassau Green?)

FPcollection

Maybe if the photos were re-shot in natural light it would help. It's very hard to judge colour by artificial light.

Yes. Are those the pics from the OP, or copied from elsewhere? There's a LOT of yellow in there, making me think that the pen is more blue/gray.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• mitto

• KZ900

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes. Are those the pics from the OP, or copied from elsewhere? There's a LOT of yellow in there, making me think that the pen is more blue/gray.

In other words you are saying the OP is just lying about the pen. Why so? Just because someone has written down that no 51 aeros were produced in nassau green?

Khan M. Ilyas

In other words you are saying the OP is just lying about the pen. Why so? Just because someone has written down that no 51 aeros were produced in nassau green?

Not saying or implying anything of the kind. I wasn't clear on whether the OP had the pens, or was expecting them.

As far as I know, no one has seen a P51 Aero in Dove, Cedar, Cordovan, Buckskin, Nassau, or Mustard. Collectors would be very interested in any such a pen if one existed.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

May be the single jeweled Vac Nassau barrel was fitted in this Aero pen. And the pencil is from a Vac set. Isn't it possible?

It is not possible to make an Aero barrel from a Vac barrel. The opposite is also true.

The Vac pencils were a twist mechanism. The Aero pencils were cap actuated. The barrels do not interchange.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You are quite right. I, too, havent seen 51 Aeros in Vac colors.

You do see some Vacs in Aero colors if it matters.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The OP was asking whether his Aero might have a Vac color. I'd be interested to know if any Aeros have been found with Vac colors. The pen/pencil set in question also has an Aero pencil. Besides the differences already noted, the nose of the pencils is different too.

Top pencil is an Aero while bottom goes with a Vac.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii101/matthewsno/DSCN2384_zpspaoqcdym.jpg

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

...... I'd be interested to know if any Aeros have been found with Vac colors.

I'll play:

Well lets see, there was India Black in vacumatics and then just Black in aerometrics and there was cedar blue in vacumatics and midnight blue in aerometrics. My guess is you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in those colors.

The four pens on the left are blues and the four on the right are blacks. Most of them are vacs but i stuck an aero of each color in the mix. Anyone able to pick out the areometrics? I used flash for the shot to bring out the color better.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss177/VMF251/51color2.jpg

I'll play:

Well lets see, there was India Black in vacumatics and then just Black in aerometrics and there was cedar blue in vacumatics and midnight blue in aerometrics. My guess is you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in those colors.

The four pens on the left are blues and the four on the right are blacks. Most of them are vacs but i stuck an aero of each color in the mix. Anyone able to pick out the areometrics? I used flash for the shot to bring out the color better.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss177/VMF251/51color2.jpg

Let me just guess. The first one on the left is aero teal blue. The last one on the right is aero black. Just a guess. I might be wrong. Well, it is not always easy to differentiate between the vacs amd aeros colors. Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

Let me just guess. The first one on the right is aero teal blue. The last one on the left is aero black. Just a guess. I might be wrong. Well, as I said in my earlier post it is not easy to differentiate between the vacs amd aeros colors.

Sure it is. The vacs have this thing on the end you can remove.

Sure it is. The vacs have this thing on the end you can remove.

FarmBoy, no mockry please. Read my edited post please.

Khan M. Ilyas

FarmBoy, no mockry please. Read my edited post please.

I think we have established over the last few weeks I don't know much about 51s.

I think we have established over the last few weeks I don't know much about 51s.

Act like a father figure please. Be nice to your little children. Lol.

Khan M. Ilyas

Aero is the 3rd blue and the last two blacks. Only the names were changed. Second blue is a first year pen.

http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss177/VMF251/51color.jpg

Edited by NABodie

Just to muddy the waters, below is a pic I posted in another thread re Vac Dove Gray versus Aero Navy Grey colors. Of note to me is the Vac era pencil that I suppose was once Dove Gray that has darkened and turned a dull green.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/nihontochicken/Parker51Gray1_zpsw4a63hhb.jpg

Nihonto Chicken

If you find a wrong color aero, make sure it is not an Ariel Kullock pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Some random thoughts on Dove and Navy.

The Vac era pencils are celluloid and prone to discoloring.

The VAC filled Grey pens are prone to all sorts of discoloration. Often being confused with Nassau.

It is known (among long time collectors) that a number of grey pens were dyed other colors.

David Nishimura turned up a group of barrels in the wrong color of grey. I'll let him chime in if he so chooses.

If unusual combinations exist like a Nassau Aero 51, one has not been found to the best of my limited knowledge.

True 1940 or very early 1941 production pens are often in colors that are off the norm.