The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker 51 Colour Identification Help Required (Nassau Green?)

parker 51 nassau green parker 51 parker51 parker 51 green identify colours of parker51

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 13:42

Maybe if the photos were re-shot in natural light it would help.  It's very hard to judge colour by artificial light.

Yes.  Are those the pics from the OP, or copied from elsewhere?   There's a LOT of yellow in there, making me think that the pen is more blue/gray.

Sponsored Content

#22 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 14:01

Yes.  Are those the pics from the OP, or copied from elsewhere?   There's a LOT of yellow in there, making me think that the pen is more blue/gray.

In other words you are saying the OP is just lying about the pen. Why so? Just because someone has written down that no 51 aeros were produced in nassau green?
Khan M. Ilyas

#23 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 15:14

In other words you are saying the OP is just lying about the pen. Why so? Just because someone has written down that no 51 aeros were produced in nassau green?

Not saying or implying anything of the kind.  I wasn't clear on whether the OP had the pens, or was expecting them.  

#24 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 15:27

Yes. Let us wait for the OP to clarify.
Khan M. Ilyas

#25 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 16:26

As far as I know, no one has seen a P51 Aero in Dove, Cedar, Cordovan, Buckskin, Nassau, or Mustard.  Collectors would be very interested in any such a pen if one existed.  

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#26 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2015 - 16:56

You are quite right. I, too, havent seen 51 Aeros in Vac colors.
Khan M. Ilyas

#27 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 10,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:05

May be the single jeweled Vac Nassau barrel was fitted in this Aero pen.  And the pencil is from a Vac set. Isn't it possible?

It is not possible to make an Aero barrel from a Vac barrel.  The opposite is also true.

The Vac pencils were a twist mechanism.  The Aero pencils were cap actuated.  The barrels do not interchange.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#28 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,184 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 04:05

You are quite right. I, too, havent seen 51 Aeros in Vac colors.

You do see some Vacs in Aero colors if it matters.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#29 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 13:15

The OP was asking whether his Aero might have a Vac color. I'd be interested to know if any Aeros have been found with Vac colors.  The pen/pencil set in question also has an Aero pencil.  Besides the differences already noted, the nose of the pencils is different too.

Top pencil is an Aero while bottom goes with a Vac.

DSCN2384_zpspaoqcdym.jpg

Edited by ANM, 10 March 2015 - 18:49.

And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#30 NABodie

NABodie

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• 2,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 March 2015 - 23:13

...... I'd be interested to know if any Aeros have been found with Vac colors.  

I'll play:

Well lets see, there was India Black in vacumatics and then just Black in aerometrics and there was cedar blue in vacumatics and midnight blue in aerometrics.  My guess is you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in those colors.

The four pens on the left are blues and the four on the right are blacks.  Most of them are vacs but i stuck an aero of each color in the mix.  Anyone able to pick out the areometrics?  I used flash for the shot to bring out the color better.

51color2.jpg

#31 tmcneil82

tmcneil82

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:00

2nd blue is aero, third black is aero

#32 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:05

I'll play:
Well lets see, there was India Black in vacumatics and then just Black in aerometrics and there was cedar blue in vacumatics and midnight blue in aerometrics.  My guess is you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in those colors.

The four pens on the left are blues and the four on the right are blacks.  Most of them are vacs but i stuck an aero of each color in the mix.  Anyone able to pick out the areometrics?  I used flash for the shot to bring out the color better.
51color2.jpg

Let me just guess. The first one on the left is aero teal blue. The last one on the right is aero black. Just a guess. I might be wrong. Well, it is not always easy to differentiate between the vacs amd aeros colors.

Edited by mitto, 11 March 2015 - 01:41.

Khan M. Ilyas

#33 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:40

Let me just guess. The first one on the right is aero teal blue. The last one on the left is aero black. Just a guess. I might be wrong. Well, as I said in my earlier post it is not easy to differentiate between the vacs amd aeros colors.

Sure it is.  The vacs have this thing on the end you can remove.

#34 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:45

Sure it is.  The vacs have this thing on the end you can remove.

FarmBoy, no mockry please. Read my edited post please.
Khan M. Ilyas

#35 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,184 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:50

FarmBoy, no mockry please. Read my edited post please.

I think we have established over the last few weeks I don't know much about 51s.

#36 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 11,270 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:57

I think we have established over the last few weeks I don't know much about 51s.

Act like a father figure please. Be nice to your little children. Lol.
Khan M. Ilyas

#37 NABodie

NABodie

Scribbler

• Member - Gold

• 2,105 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2015 - 02:30

Aero is the 3rd blue and the last two blacks.  Only the names were changed.  Second blue is a first year pen.

51color.jpg

Edited by NABodie, 11 March 2015 - 02:33.

#38 Nihontochicken

Nihontochicken

Nihonto Chicken

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 02:59

Just to muddy the waters, below is a pic I posted in another thread re Vac Dove Gray versus Aero Navy Grey colors.  Of note to me is the Vac era pencil that I suppose was once Dove Gray that has darkened and turned a dull green.

Parker51Gray1_zpsw4a63hhb.jpg

Nihonto Chicken

#39 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,840 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:18

If you find a wrong color aero, make sure it is not an Ariel Kullock pen.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#40 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

• Member - Gold

• 10,184 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 03:43

Some random thoughts on Dove and Navy.

The Vac era pencils are celluloid and prone to discoloring.

The VAC filled Grey pens are prone to all sorts of discoloration.  Often being confused with Nassau.

It is known (among long time collectors) that a number of grey pens were dyed other colors.

David Nishimura turned up a group of barrels in the wrong color of grey.  I'll let him chime in if he so chooses.

If unusual combinations exist like a Nassau Aero 51, one has not been found to the best of my limited knowledge.

True 1940 or very early 1941 production pens are often in colors that are off the norm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker 51, nassau green parker 51, parker51, parker 51 green, identify colours of parker51

Sponsored Content

|