Parker 51 Colour Identification Help Required (Nassau Green?)

FPcollection

Good day all!
I need help in identification of the colour of this Parker 51.
It is a pale green, definitely not forest green or teal... It perhaps could be Nassau Green. It is an aerometric filler and as per Parker51.com, there were few aerometric filler nassau greens made for export.
Any help in this regard would be very much appreciated!
Regards,
SS

Edited by FPcollection

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FarmBoy

• mitto

• KZ900

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest, i,m not 100% sure, but it could be a rare nassau green single jeweled pen set. I,d suggest that you contact either Tony at parkerpens.net or Ernesto at parker51.com

Best of luck, paul

Thanks much Paul for your quick response!

I am also guessing in the same lines! Let's hope for the best haha!

I would definitely be in touch with the persons you mentioned...

Regards.

SS

Parker "51" Vacumatic Filler

In the case of Midnight Black, Dove Gray, Cedar Blue, and Cordovan Brown, the double jewel models are more desirable than the single jewel models. In the case of Buckskin Beige, Yellowstone Yellow, and Nassau Green, the single jewel models are actually much rarer. This could be due to the fact that according to Parker internal literature of the time, the single jewel models of Buckskin Beige, Yellowstone Yellow, and Nassau Green were available for export only. Of the single jewel models, the Buckskin Beige version is by far the hardest to locate.

Above is the quote from the Parker51 site referring to Nassau Greens for export. It is referring to single jeweled vacumatics NOT single jeweled aerometrics. There were no double jeweled aerometrics. There were no aerometric Nassau Green P51s. Single jeweled Nassau Greens are very rare but they aren't aerometrics.

Edited by ANM

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

A photo would definitely help, but my best guess is that the pen in question is Navy Grey. Some I've seen have a bit of a light green cast to them.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

A lot of the navy gray pens have turned color to a green.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I'm with Greg & Pajaro. Many of the grays & Navy-Grays I've seen trend towards green with time ...possibly UV exposure?

"Not a Hooker Hooker, but rather a left-handed overwriter."

• 3 weeks later...

Good day all!
Was kind of tied up and did not find time to check the responses till now...thanks to you all!
I do not think it is a Navy Gray turned Green..and it is not the light either. It is clearly green.
I have not seen anything like this before..hence, my query.

Well, I am including the pictures...hope it helps.

Regards,
SS

post-51437-0-33112100-1388991576_thumb.jpg

post-51437-0-42158700-1388991586_thumb.jpg

Edited by FPcollection

Date code on the barrel?

I'd guess badly discolored gray if it is an Aero.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I'm thinking navy gray based on the pencil in the set.

The pencil is a Parker 51 repeater pencil, which wasn't introduced until 1948 along with the Aerometric fountain pen, but as you said apparently a few nassau green Aeros were made for export.

Edited by Florida Blue

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Over time, I have collected 3 of these pens (a cap-actuated ballpoint, the repeater pencil and an aerometric FP) along with the box shown above. All have the converging line gold-filled caps and very consistent coloring to the barrels. They were found separately over the course of 6 - 7 years, and were not likely ever part of the same original set. Based on all I have seen and read, mine (and yours) are Navy Gray. In my way of thinking, it was a poor choice of color name (because my eyes see green), but....

When I first located the ballpoint - I too thought it might be the infamous Nassau Green, but was schooled otherwise by several FPN members.

Maybe if the photos were re-shot in natural light it would help. It's very hard to judge colour by artificial light.

I'm thinking navy gray based on the pencil in the set.

The pencil is a Parker 51 repeater pencil, which wasn't introduced until 1948 along with the Aerometric fountain pen, but as you said apparently a few nassau green Aeros were made for export.

A few single jeweled Nassau vacs were made for export, they were not aeros.

Edited by ANM

I knew that, but the OP stated that "It is an aerometric filler and as per Parker51.com, there were few aerometric filler nassau greens made for export."

I had never heard of any Aeros in Nassau Green before and I don't know if that statement by the OP is true, but I was just going off of that.

Parker: Sonnet Flighter, Rialto Red Metallic Laque, IM Chiseled Gunmetal, Latitude Stainless, 45 Black, Duovac Blue Pearl Striped, 51 Standard Black, Vac Jr. Black, 51 Aero Black, 51 Vac Blue Cedar, Duofold Jr. Lapis, 51 Aero Demi Black, 51 Aero Demi Teal, 51 Aero Navy Gray, Duofold Pastel Moire Violet, Vac Major Golden Brown, Vac Deb. Emerald, 51 Vac Dove Gray, Vac Major Azure, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, 51 Vac Black GF Cap, 51 Forest Green GF cap, Vac Jr. Silver Pearl, Duovac Senior Green & Gold, Duovac Deb. Black, Challenger Black, 51 Aero Midnight, Vac. Emerald Jr., Challenger Gray Pearl, 51 Vac Black, Duofold Int. Black, Duofold Jr. Red.

Parker51.com says they wee vacs. The OP misread the info.

• 1 year later...

May be the single jeweled Vac Nassau barrel was fitted in this Aero pen. And the pencil is from a Vac set. Isn't it possible?

Khan M. Ilyas

I am not sure what you are asking but vac and aero barrels are not interchangeable and Nassau green was only made for vac pens, but even if it were possible, the hood would not match the barrel. Aero pens were Forest Green. It is common for the Nassau pencil and pen to fade differently because they were made from different materials, so even a matched set, by this time, most often don't match anymore.

Edited by ANM

I am not sure what you are asking but vac and aero barrels are not interchangeable and Nassau green was only made for vac pens, but even if it were possible, the hood would not match the barrel. Aero pens were Forest Green. It is common for the Nassau pencil and pen to fade differently because they were made from different materials, so even a matched set, by this time, most often don't match anymore.

But the pen set shown by OP looks , to me at least , to be actually a Nassau green. Not a grey turned green. And if in case it turns out so, should we still "go by the book" against this irrefutable evidence? In other words are the sources quoted infallible?

Khan M. Ilyas