The More Expensive, The Harder Start

punkey

I got a Lamy 2000 a month ago, and it had problems with hard starting and skipping - unfortunate, but not entirely unsurprising given the reputation of the pen I've found on these forums and elsewhere. I have resolved to get it looked at by a nibmeister in the near future, and I managed to browbeat it enough that it's usable for writing, and I left it at that.

However, I bought a brand new Pelikan M200 M nib this week, and it has the same problem. I've rinsed it out what feels like 100 times by now, done three separate soaks in soapy water followed by flushing with fresh soapy water and then heavy rinsing and delicate drying, and it still looks like the image attached below if I pause for as little as 5-10 seconds. I have an email in to Pelikan about replacing the nib, either under warranty or the nib exchange, but if there's something else I could maybe do before I ship my new pen out for a few weeks, that would be ideal. My handwriting is obviously not picture-perfect, and I write quickly as well. Might that have something to do with it? I've tried rotating it around in my hand without much success. I'd write it off as simply a problem with the pen, except I had the same problem with the 2000, and even though it's perfectly possible that both pens simply have problems, having the same problem with two pens, both softer nibs than I'm usually using (Lamy and TWSBI, both of which are rock-hard), I have to wonder if maybe it's a problem with me as opposed to the pens.

post-108146-0-91616100-1387142963_thumb.jpg

Always learning. Information sponge. Loves discussion. Hates nominative case.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• punkey

• novarider

• Inkling13

• dspeers58

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What ink are you running through it? might it be something with your ink? I would think that is the case, since that is what your two pens have in common. Start with the least invasive, least expensive option first, as you can always spend more money.

I've had mixed experiences. My Montegrappa Parola for months gave me grief because it never starts well, and skips repeatedly. However, it got better with time and continuous use , and now writes smoothly and never skips. I realized that the slit between the tines of my nib was slightly too wide apart. I would inspect the nib of your pen to see if the slit always has some ink retained in it.

On the other hand, my Pelikan M205 and almost all of my cheaper Chinese pens has perfect ink flow. So much for Montegrappa's quality control.

Edited by PHN

I've tried Noodler's Black and Borealis Black in the M200, and Noodler's Black, Diamine Red Dragon and Noodler's Tienanmen in the 2000. These are all pretty wet inks in my pens that I've got tuned correctly, so lubrication is not an issue.

Edit: And the channel on it does look a little narrow, but I'm saving giving it a good press to widen the tines for a last resort.

Edited by punkey

Gave it a deeper look - the tines are misaligned. So, back to Pelikan it goes.

I have posted a number of times about QC with Pelikan nibs...They are wonderful writers, but it seems that the customer is called to do QC. Does not make a difference how much you spend, in fact, had the same experience with expensive and cheaper versions of their pens. They support their product very well. A nib swap is easy to do and usually pretty quick.

With a Lamy 2000, they too have had troubles with flow, and I believe with a very small sweet spot, so that if you are at all liable to rotating the pen in your hand, you will find what seems to be flow issues. There are directions on how to get at the nib on a 2000, (video), and you can open up the tines a bit, which will make the flow more forgiving. It can be frustrating.

With a Lamy 2000, they too have had troubles with flow, and I believe with a very small sweet spot, so that if you are at all liable to rotating the pen in your hand, you will find what seems to be flow issues. There are directions on how to get at the nib on a 2000, (video), and you can open up the tines a bit, which will make the flow more forgiving. It can be frustrating.

+1 top this. I had a Lamy 2000 that I HATED because of the tiny sweet spot.

Edited by novarider