Parker Vacumatic Maxima?

usk15

I bought last night a lot of pens from an auction, mainly for this Parker Vacumatic which I tough is a Maxima. I will post some pictures to see if am right about it. Also the plastic filler is not working; I don't want to force it. It looks like I will need a restorer to have a look. Other info’s: blue diamond clip, a 5 with 3 dots (first quarter 1945?), on the barrel is made in Canada, but the nib is USA, 13.6 cm long caped. The pen is look fantastic, golden pearl, just normal scratches for the age.

I will need some advices where to send the pen for a good restoration, with a fair price, supposing is needed to change the diaphragm. I'm in Jersey, UK.

post-98273-0-72312000-1386934916_thumb.jpg

post-98273-0-56120800-1386934934_thumb.jpg

post-98273-0-00615300-1386934953_thumb.jpg

post-98273-0-10959000-1386934995_thumb.jpg

This is a comparison with a Vacumatic Major, blue diamond clip, 1943.

post-98273-0-01478300-1386935057_thumb.jpg

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kirchh

• Lazard 20

• usk15

• lazard

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not expert but I think the one you call a Major isn't and the one you think is a Maxima is a Major. I believe a Maxima would have a wider cap band.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

@ terim :

According to http://parkerpens.net/codekey.html the pen is made in 1945 first quarter. From 1950 till 1955 and later till 1960 in Canada the date code was 50 or 55 or 57...Anyway thank you for your thoughts.

@ inkysloth:

RichardPens is not very accurate regarding sizes and dates. I've been searching many webs before I conclude it is a Major. But even so i might be wrong...

I try to change the caps around and they fit, screw perfectly, same with the blind cap. But the caps and barrels are longer/shorter between them. Also i believe the golden pearl is a long Major, Canadian made. The silver pearl is USA and is 12.9 cm. Also i think the difference between Major and Junior on the 3rd gen. is the cap band. 2 slim ring on cap vs wide band on cap.

I agree with AMN

Th 3rd generation pen, which is what you have, and the largest are called the Senior Maxima, and are quite uncommon.

They can be identified by the following

1) striped jewel

2) 136 cm in lenght, cap width diameter 9/16th inch

3) Chrome finished metal speedline filler ( although this could have been replaced)

4) most ive seen are from 1942

5) blue diamond clip,

They do have a thin cap band ( just like majors)

They do crop up in UK, I found one in a charity shop recently, and one could speculate that these were bought over by US troops during WW2.

Take a look at the sold listings on the site that cant be named - they do fetch a nice price

Cheers, paul

Edited by sherbie

Thanks Paul for head up!

This one is 136mm long but black jewel. That's why I'm thinking that could be a long Major...

My knowledge regarding Vacumatics is very limited, but my two Majors match the size of your Major and the size mentioned on Richard Binder`s page.

For restoration you can contact Richard Wilson, eckiethump on the FPN, he worked on my P51 vacumatic and I was satisfied. He`s based in the UK. If he`s not available, I have a few more ideas, UK too.

Parker 51 Vacumatic 0.7 Masuyama stub; TWSBI 540 M; TWSBI 580 1.1; Mabie, Todd and Bard 3200 stub; Waterman 14 Eyedropper F; 2 x Hero 616; several flexible dip nibs

owned for a time: Parker 45 flighter Pendleton stub, Parker 51 aerometric F, Parker 51 Special 0.7 Binder stub, Sheaffer Valiant Snorkel M, Lamy Joy Calligraphy 1.5 mm, Pelikan M200 M, Parker Vacumatic US Azure Blue M, Parker Vacumatic Canada Burgundy F, Waterman 12 Eyedropper, Mabie Todd SF2 flexible F

RichardPens is not very accurate regarding sizes and dates.

I've actually measured a few Vacs in my time, and the numbers on my page are typical. But in case you missed it, I specifically point out in the table header that other pens may vary:

The Sizes of the Vacumatic (Typical Examples; Other Examples Will Vary)

As for dating information, have you looked at my comprehensive page on dating? If you find errors there, please tell me what they are so that I can correct them.

Edited by Richard

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

the single jewel senior maxima (had one, since sold) will also sport a larger nine-feather nib, which should be one of the key findings for the pen. if its nib the regular seven-feather one, then it's likely a major (or a canadian long major, in this case--i have one in black, with an unusual, but not for canada, superflexy nib).

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

@ Richard B.

I do apologize, i didn't mean to offend you. About sizes, you specify the typical examples, making difficult to find other unusual examples. When I said about dates I was refer to production year for a pen, according to your infos after 1942 only Major and Debutante where in production. The page with date code is crisp clear!

@ penmanila

Good point about feathers on the nib. Thank you.

I think Vacumatic Majors came in all the same colors as the standard sizes. I have one each in blue, green and silver.

And the end of all our exploring

Will be to arrive where we started

And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

SLENDER MAXIMA (Long Major is a term misused and improper).

In general, Slender Maxima of the '40s as the present one do not have broad band nor nib Maxima nor feed channel width "W" engraved. You can verify that your Slender Maxima has "||" two vertical bars limiting the band engraving area -only 1 in the Major´s normally and 2 in the Maxima´s as my personal contribution to Pendom-.

You can also see that the upper crown jewel where mount the jewel is higher, more elevated, than are mounted in the Major´s.

I have studied some others and right now I have two of them at my side with one 134.2 mm. and 134.4 mm other. MADE IN USA in 1942 both.

SLENDER MAXIMA.

Edited by Lazard 2.0

"As for dating information, have you looked at my comprehensive page on dating? If you find errors there, please tell me what they are so that I can correct them."

This web page is wrong and imprecise, so;

Here the web site are very wrong: Early pens have two digits with no dots. Graphics examples with two digits with dot/s:

http://s30.postimg.org/5271ej8nl/image.jpg

Hieroglyphics: Approximately two-thirds of them have dot/s.

Early pens have two digits: The web is also imprecise ignoring that in 1932, 1933 and part of 1934 -early pen- have not digit, and not dot.

Edited by Lazard 2.0

SLENDER MAXIMA (Long Major is a term misused and improper).

In general, Slender Maxima of the '40s as the present one do not have broad band nor nib Maxima nor feed channel width "W" engraved. You can verify that your Slender Maxima has "||" two vertical bars limiting the band engraving area -only 1 in the Major´s normally and 2 in the Maxima´s as my personal contribution to Pendom-.

You can also see that the upper crown jewel where mount the jewel is higher, more elevated, than are mounted in the Major´s.

I have studied some others and right now I have two of them at my side with one 134.2 mm. and 134.4 mm other. MADE IN USA in 1942 both.

SLENDER MAXIMA.

What, in your view, is the difference between the pen you believe is a 1942 Slender Maxima and the 1942 Major?

Do you have any advertisements, catalogs, or other materials that show that Parker was still offering a Slender Maxima model in 1942 (or 1941)?

--Daniel

"The greatest mental derangement is to believe things because we want them to be true, not because we observe that they are in effect." --Jacques-Bénigne Bossuet

Daniel Kirchheimer
Specialty Pen Restoration
Authorized Sheaffer/Parker/Waterman Vintage Repair Center
Purveyor of the iCroScope digital loupe

Hello Kirchh:

Respectfully, Do you have any advertisements, catalogs, or other materials that show that Parker was still offering a Long Major model in 1942 (or 1941)? And prior?

Similarity: Both have 13,6 mm -with small tolerences- diameter cap band.
Diferences:

-With small tolerances- Major has a length of 128.2 mm vs 134.2 of the Slender.

- Vertical "bars" limiting the band engraving area. "|" one Major vs "||" two verticals Slender (as many Maxima and Senior Maxima).

- The upper clip crown where mount the jewel is higher, more elevated, than are mounted in the Major´s.

The claim is not based on ads but on observation of reality after having analyzed and measured over two dozen Slender Maxima.

Photo summary with a fpen from other propietary by that diversity (mine are of 1942):

post-109307-0-35580900-1387712040_thumb.jpg

and a comparative photo will help.

post-109307-0-24248700-1387711908_thumb.jpg

More info about the golden pearl in the center. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/257798-a-vacumatic-from-another-world/

... by association of ideas, taking advantage in these part of the year own for gifts, herewith a scheme made ​​by me that I want hopefully help to someone FPN user. In any case it is useful to call each Vacumatic by his real name according with the year in which it was manufactured. It is also very funny how you can date the Vacs. according to the imprint MADE IN USA -I think it might be the first time we talk about it publicly, do not know- MADE IN USA PAT, USA left or USA centered both without PAT)

I open a new post to upload the scheme https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/257931-vacumatics-scheme/. I do not have upload capacity for 1MB more.
Edited by Lazard 2.0

Thank you Lazard (Ramon).

But I'm still confuse 'bout my Vacumatic; like i said is 136mm long capped, blue diamond clip and has a 5 with 3 dots. it has a plastic filler from 3rd generation. I believe Is not a Maxima, or Slender Maxima, because of double striped jewel. it could be a Long Major ?