The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

A New Prime Minister Fountain Pen

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#21 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:35

I'd need multiples of that. #girlpower

Sponsored Content

#22 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:15

Thatch pattern and (stainless) steel nib and trim, since Thatcher was the Iron Lady.

#23 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 January 2014 - 19:44

Very interesting

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#24 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 00:33

I wonder if the minimum run was 50 pens how many folks would want a LE pen named after a Canadian Prime Minister?
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

#25 Horseknitter

Horseknitter

Vintage

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 January 2014 - 17:57

That would be grounds for never buying another CS pen again.

au contraire that would be grounds for buying multiple CS  :P 

#26 Rufus

Rufus

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2014 - 00:00

In the unlikely chance that CS would consider this, I think Sir John A. Macdonald would be the best choice from historical and political perspectives.
Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

#27 MikeW

MikeW

Been here a long time!

• Member - Gold

• 1,277 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 January 2014 - 14:08

My money would go for a pen named for The Lord Stanley of Preston - http://www.biographi...arthur_13E.html and here - http://www.stanleysb...rd_stanley.html

A Brit and a most famous Canadian!

Cheers!
Mike

Edited by MikeW, 26 January 2014 - 14:16.

MikeW

"In the land of fountain pens, the one with the sweetest nib reigns supreme!"

Check out the London Pen Club.

#28 Aramchek

Aramchek

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:13

Diefenbaker for his Avro Aero supersonic jets.

He's actually rather infamous for being the one who killed the Avro Arrow, which also led to the collapse of the company, one of the biggest employers in all of Canada, and the resulting brain drain as their engineers emigrated. As an aviation enthusiast, I think any pen dedicated to him should be extraordinarily ugly, write poorly, and leak. Montegrappa has demonstrated they can handle the first part, but they might have to team up with some other manufacturer for the rest.

The independence of Canada from the UK was a long, slow and gradual process, and it seems there is no particular date which could be agreed upon to be as the day it became independent, so I guess CS might be able to consider many Canadians from its history as sufficiently British.

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3 Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

#29 abstract49

abstract49

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 17:35

Well, the only Canadian I've been paying any attention to lately is William Shatner, and I don't expect a pen from CS or anyone else to be named for him!

But, seriously, I love CS for the pens, not for the pen names. Every one I have is a good, dependable writer, no hard starting with any ink I've used in them, smooth with no custom tweaking from any shop or myself.

My next major purchase will probably be a Lawyer. I'm not an attorney, but I work with legal issues all the time, and I just like the looks. On the other hand, it might be a Kipling; I love good literature, and the link there is attractive, as well as the pen's look. But again, it has much less to do with name than with an overall pleasing appearance and just plain good writing characteristics.

#30 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,165 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2014 - 17:58

Well, the only Canadian I've been paying any attention to lately is William Shatner, and I don't expect a pen from CS or anyone else to be named for him!

But, seriously, I love CS for the pens, not for the pen names. Every one I have is a good, dependable writer, no hard starting with any ink I've used in them, smooth with no custom tweaking from any shop or myself.

My next major purchase will probably be a Lawyer. I'm not an attorney, but I work with legal issues all the time, and I just like the looks. On the other hand, it might be a Kipling; I love good literature, and the link there is attractive, as well as the pen's look. But again, it has much less to do with name than with an overall pleasing appearance and just plain good writing characteristics.

Agree, much as I like him, CS won't honour him. They even did not react to the question about a dr Who pen......A typical English TV-institution....

D.ick

~

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#31 lowfiwhiteguy

lowfiwhiteguy

Extra-Fine Nib Supremacist

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:18

Historically, Canada is as British as Britain. British North America. They should do a Sir John A MacDonald pen. It would come with a bottle of scotch instead of a cigar.

#32 raging.dragon

raging.dragon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,055 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:23

Well, Shatner did a watch collaboration, so why not a pen?

http://www.ablogtowa...es-watch-egard/

A Dr. Who pen would have to licensed by the BBC, like a Star Trek pen would have to be licensed by Paramount. However, a collaboration with one or more of the actors wouldn't necessarily involve any third parties.

#33 Mags

Mags

Life is more vibrant with a fountain pen and a bold wet ink line

• Member - Gold

• 1,233 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2019 - 12:13

Looking back on this Conway Stewart has ceased operations.
Rob Maguire (Plse call me "M or Mags" like my friends do...)I use a Tablet, Apple Pencil and a fountain pen. Targas, Sailor, MB, Visconti all wonderful.

#34 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,340 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:19

Yes, a great shame - although British Bespoke Pens are still producing new CS based pens ... With a Churchillian twist.

Also in the intervening years since this thread was started, the following is no longer true (the foreign-born bit) .....

I would think if CS were to honor a Canadian with a fountain pen it would be Andrew Bonar Law.

He was the only Canadian-born (and foreign born) Prime Minister of the UK, but he didn't really accomplish anything noteworthy in office. He also had one of the shortest tenures as PM serving only 211 days because he was diagnosed with throat cancer shortly after assuming the office and had to resign.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#35 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 848 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 16:05

Fun discussion. Does anybody else get a little tired of Conway-Stewart and Onoto's "we're so English" nonsense? (written as a Scot living in Canada)

#36 The Good Captain

The Good Captain

Gaston F Limoges

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,750 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2019 - 22:17

Fun discussion. Does anybody else get a little tired of Conway-Stewart and Onoto's "we're so English" nonsense? (written as a Scot living in Canada)

Especially with German nibs & converters...

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

#37 Inky-Republic

Inky-Republic

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2019 - 08:34

What odds on  a CS Boris Johnson commemorative?

Do you think perhaps the European Union might fund the idea?

#38 Boston Brian

Boston Brian

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 August 2019 - 05:29

Conway Stewart was after all a much loved British pen company, and seems fair and appropriate to name models after well known British heroes, heroes of all kinds!
The only reason to never buy another CS was if they named a pen after Tony Benn, unless it came with a grey cardigan finish with a hole in it! LOL

#39 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:43

It would of course be something akin to this,

MBMb.jpg

#40 jebib111

jebib111

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:58

Don't know how well known he is on the other side of the pond but he's clearly an overarching figure on this side.

Sponsored Content

|