Karas Kustoms Is Making A Fountain Pen. The Ink.

KrazyIvan

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more chatter in this thread. I wonder what aspects of the Ink don't appeal to the FPN community?

Idk..I'm not too fond of metal grip sections. I wish that they somehow crosshatched the grip section to give it a bit of grip. If they do that, I would buy at least 2.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• JemC

• Finalist

• mikehodgman

Idk..I'm not too fond of metal grip sections. I wish that they somehow crosshatched the grip section to give it a bit of grip. If they do that, I would buy at least 2.

Yeah, that's one thing Ivan and I both agreed on

I think the fact that the grip flairs back out before the nib will help reduce slippage, but if it were a nice knurled section instead, that would be amazing. I've never seen a contoured grip with knurling, but that might be heaven.

I've decided to hold off and see how people like them before I decide whether I want one. Also not wild about the metal section, but I'd like to support a small business coming up with a new pen, but this isn't the week for the do that.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog | My Creative Writing Blog | My Heraldry Designs

http://dcroe05.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/crestdr.png?w=100

I did not get the impression that the metal section was going to be slippery. When I tried it it reminded me a lot of my Edison Pearl. It has that hour glass section. This makes it feel like I have a positive grip on the pen. Of course, I did not use the pen for a long writing session. Going purely based on the Karas pens I have now and their metal sections (not hourglass mind you) I feel the aluminum section is not going to slip. I do wish a knurled section option was available (Like JemC states) but not really for the grip but the tactile feel and coolness factor.

I've got a brass and copper coming, though I will have to change out the (now after the survey) Fine nibs to be supplied. Fines are OK but I like bigger nibs (with apologies to Sir Mix Alot... I LIKE big nibs and I will not lie... :) ) No matter though, I am really looking forward to these...IF I can ever decide on a color choice for each of them!

Edited by WOBentley

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

Oh! Here is an answer by Dan Bishop to my comment:

@Ivan Romero- We knew we would disappoint a few backers with the announcement. Good news is you will be able to get a broad nib that can be ground into other types. Just don't go force choking us and we will be happy.

He wasn't very clear about if the broad nib would be instead of the fine nib, or something you would have to buy later from karaskustoms.com

Oh! Here is an answer by Dan Bishop to my comment:

Yeah:

• Can't you just let us choose which nib we want? Unfortunately, not for this project. Because there would be so many different combinations, each backer would essentially be a custom order. This means we would not be able to pre-assemble any pens and would delay the project.

How does anodized AL hold up for a pen? For example could keys in your pocket with an Anodized Ink scratch the finish? What if the pen were dropped? How much of a beating can the colored finishes take?

I'm torn between the all raw look or black.

How does anodized AL hold up for a pen? For example could keys in your pocket with an Anodized Ink scratch the finish? What if the pen were dropped? How much of a beating can the colored finishes take?

I'm torn between the all raw look or black.

I have an anodized colored Render K and it's pretty durable. I've put it in my pocket with keys a few times and it doesn't have any noticeable scratches. I think if you constantly kept it with coins and keys and other hard objects, there would be color loss, though. Otherwise, the anodizing is a very durable process that will leave you with an awesome looking pen.

E: dropping it on concrete would probably mar it. I've dropped mine on hard wood and laminate floors with no damage.

Edited by JemC

• 3 months later...

Anyone have any new insider info on the Ink? I've watched the videos of the clips or barrels being machined.

I check the Kickstarter page almost daily. I missed the pledge, so I have to wait for retail, but I wish the wait was shorter. Let's move some Inks Karas!

I'm pretty sure I'm going to order an all raw AL version and then find either a CI nib or a something with a little flex.

• 5 months later...

Let's see some pics!

The Inks have all mostly delivered to Kickstarter people, and I was finally able to order one via their site yesterday - all silver, with a Schmidt broad. I was fully set on the fine all these months, but when I went to order I noticed they also offer broad. I don't have any broad FPs and if I don't like it I can easily grind it down to any size or even a stub.

Does anyone know if the bigger Schmidt nibs will fit?

I got mine last week. I got blue with a brass grip. It is great, I really enjoy it. Apparently, however, I am not like a lot of the people on this thread, as I think that the Schmidt fine is still too broad. According to http://www.schmidttechnology.de/en/schreibgeraete/produkte/fuellhaltersysteme/c_1_3_1.htm, they do not make an extra fine. Does anyone have any experience with these nibs? Is there another nib with the same thread size that will fit into the grip? I'll post some pics in a few. Here is a link to my question that I put in a different thread https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/index.php/topic/276301-karas-kustom-ink-nib-swap-schmidt-fh241/

For those folks that want a broader nib, Karas is selling medium and broad on their website (http://karaskustoms.com/refills/nibs.html)

Thanks

Edited by folofjc

Does anyone know if the bigger Schmidt nibs will fit?

There's just enough room for the #5 Schmidt nib. You can pull the actual nib out and replace it with something else inside the Schmidt collar, but it might take some hacking. The Schmidt nibs are set really deep into the collar/housing.

Ok, so it really does take some hacking. The Schmidt nibs are narrower at the base than Bock/JoWo (or Pilot), so you'll have to shave a 1mm x 5mm strip off each side

Alternatively, you could try exacto-ing some material off the feed to help fit the different curvature.

Or you could just grind the nib ;)

Oh, also the Ink is awesome (for me). I've run through 3 converter fills in as many days.