Karas Kustoms Is Making A Fountain Pen. The Ink.

KrazyIvan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KrazyIvan

• JemC

• Finalist

• mikehodgman

I excitedly backed, but now I need to go back and figure out my color/metal combo. I think I'm going to up my pledge.

Also, I'm surprised they don't have a Two fountainpen option, I wonder if they're fine with increased pledge amounts for multiples.

Most KS pen projects aren't nearly that successful, even the previous ones from Karas Kustoms. I hope they do that and more, that's for sure. Grumble grumble Visionnaire.

After the project ends and the surveys go out, I hope they post the stats on which combos people choose. I think they did a spot-on job with the Black&Brass and even the Red&Copper (willl make a great editing pen, thematically speaking).

If there is any justice they'll make comparable!!! Hey I can hope :) It would be nice for the good guys to get the leg up and wash the bad taste out of my mouth from that Visionaire scam. Go INK!!

Cool design! And the price isn't that high either. Pity it is only available with an M nib.

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

It is a Schmidt #5 nib unit. Replacements are readily available. The M nib is actually quite good but yes, I would rather have a 1.1 mm.

Aye, I have plenty of spare #5 nibs I'm planning to use instead.

Ivan, do you know if the Schmidt unit swaps cleanly with the typical unit from TWSBI/Edison/Levenger #5's? I'm prepared to knock the nibs out of the Schmidt units, but it'd be awesome if I could simply unscrew & replace.

These look okay capped, but they look really awesome un-capped. I've never funded a kickstarter before, but this might be my first. I just wish I could handle one before I commit. That's a pretty good chunk of change for a pen I've never beheld in person.

I really want a copper section, but I don't know what barrel color to go with. So many choices.

My Blog: Inkdependence!

Does anyone know of any European retailers that sell replacement Schmidt nibs?

Слава Україні!

Slava Ukraini!

STR:11 DEX: 5 CON:5 INT:17 WIS:11 CHA:3

Wielding: BIC stick of poor judgment (-3,-5) {cursed}

Aye, I have plenty of spare #5 nibs I'm planning to use instead.

Ivan, do you know if the Schmidt unit swaps cleanly with the typical unit from TWSBI/Edison/Levenger #5's? I'm prepared to knock the nibs out of the Schmidt units, but it'd be awesome if I could simply unscrew & replace.

Unfortunately, when I tried the prototype, I did not have any easily swappable nib units on hand to try it out. Pulling the nib from the housing should be fairly straight forward.

Does anyone know of any European retailers that sell replacement Schmidt nibs?

You could order TWSBI 540 replacement nibs from Cult Pens and at least the nib itself should have no problem working in the Ink. I feel about 95% sure on that.

Not sure which other European retailers might offer replacement nibs.

Unfortunately, when I tried the prototype, I did not have any easily swappable nib units on hand to try it out. Pulling the nib from the housing should be fairly straight forward.

Yeah, I'm not really worried. I'm probably going to do a lot of hack-work and put in some Pilot nibs anyway ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a hard time deciding between the black and gray. :)

The KS has 10 days left and I cannot believe that another KS fountain pen with a dubious background is going to beat the funding amount. This is a way better value and there is no doubting the INK's roots. Several well known bloggers have already posted reviews.

I reckon they'll get a nice 5-10% bump in the last 48 hours, but I agree - I wish Karas Kustoms got the same (or better) support as the Visionnaire. I know the V had a 'simple' look, while KK has a consistently rugged, industrial look. Maybe some people are turned off by it? (Shame on them).

Because the Ink is "close enough" to the Nakaya Piccolo in Titanium, for me, I went in for 3 of them - and I'm still stuck on the color debate! I'm definitely sold on the black (I mean, come on Sith Lord!), but it's a tough call between gray and 'raw' aluminum. If the color finish is susceptible to damage, then I might need a raw aluminum to combat 'pocket miscellany.'

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more chatter in this thread. I wonder what aspects of the Ink don't appeal to the FPN community?

I'm surprised that there hasn't been more chatter in this thread. I wonder what aspects of the Ink don't appeal to the FPN community?

Maybe it is the KickStarter concept. I know I have just been warming up to the way it works. Really, if you think about it, it is no different than a pre-order just that you have an "Amazon" go-between.

I just found this thread and am in! So happy I found this! Looks like a great pen.

This post contains 100% recycled electrons

http://i952.photobucket.com/albums/ae8/Catriker/Pen%20Pics/SmallCzarNikolai.jpg

I backed the kickstarter for this pen quite early on. I've vacillated a bit on which option to go for but have settled on the copper section with (probably) the red body, although I might yet change to blue or green.

Maybe I should change my pledge level... :D